Houston
Sponsored by

"No, Katrina Evacuees Didn’t Cause a Houston Crime Wave"

8,013 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by schmellba99
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

quote:
In February 2006, about 66 percent of Houston-area residents agreed "a major increase in violent crime has occurred in Houston because of the evacuees," according to Kinder Houston Area Survey results.
Varano was the lead author of a 2010 study that largely debunked the Katrina crime myth. He was motivated to study the issue due to the rhetoric he saw coming from Houston leaders. "There was very loaded dialogue," Varano said. "People were speaking in hyperbolic terms. They spoke of a crime wave that made Houston a more violent, dangerous place than it was in July (before the storm)."
well...unless you consider things like murder and robbery to be "violent"

quote:
So it was clear that the rapid influx of population in some of the cities receiving Katrina evacuees had some affect on certain crimes, most particularly murder, followed by robbery

He then adds this:
quote:
"Let's be frank," Varano says. "Under the best case scenario, does anybody think you could displace this number of people with this prevalence of socioeconomic challenges into a completely distinct area. and not have any negative outcomes? Really? Are we that nave?"
so wait...did crime go up or not?

quote:
He added that if the conversation had focused on Houston's homicide rate the number of homicides that occur for every 100,000 residents there's a good chance it didn't increase at all. After all, larger cities tend to have more crimes. And Houston became much larger overnight. But because it's unclear exactly what Houston's population was following Katrina, it's impossible to know the true crime rate.

huh?

Glad Rich Kinder's think tank is coming out with the real truth!

Just Take Our Word For It
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I asked the guy who mugged me in Midtown circa 2006 if he was a Katrina refugee, but I couldn't understand his answer due to his creole dialect.
Diggity
AG
To be fair, Lil Wayne was just getting back on his feet.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
That entire article was an absurd exercise in spin from the "Bill White is God" crowd.

They all praised and gushed about what a humanitarian act it was to open the city's loving arms to New Orleans refugees, but the second anyone talks about crime, it's all "KATRINA? What Katrina? Did some people come here from New Orleans??? I hadn't noticed!"
BMX Bandit
So if the sudden increase in population had been from milwaukee or Austin, we'd have seen the same rise in crime?

That article is hilarious.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Nat Geo channel had one of their Gangs in America episodes about this. From what I can remember, there are two violent, rival gangs from N.O. that came here from the storm. They caused a lot of the violence we saw and were responsible for most of the crime wave. But yeah, all those law enforcement guys were probably lying and they're not to blame at all.
cajunaggie08
AG
They might be cherry picking stats here. Many of the evacuees wound up in Houston suburbs so those crime stats may not wind up in official City of Houston crime stats
Al Bula
AG
The mean ol' Houston Police Department used the Katrina evacuees as a scapegoat for Houston crime.

Shame on HPD for blaming the crime on innocent, sweet po' black folks displaced from NOLA.

/sarcasm
MelvinUdall
Post removed:
by user
BMX Bandit
Yeah. Statute of limitations on murder in NOLA is 48 hours.
Post removed:
by user
Furlock Bones
AG
The mayor of NO just said Katrina was the biggest man made disaster in history.

Um, what?
Diggity
AG
the army corps of engineers bombed the levees...don't you remember?
Post removed:
by user
Furlock Bones
AG
Good call jay
BMX Bandit
The construction of MRGO and complete lack of upkeep on the levees did play a huge role.

But to call it a man made disaster is dumb. Not surprised the mayor said that given his history.
Al Bula
AG
NOLA as a city will be fooked when/if the mighty Mississippi decides it wants change courses and flow through the Atchafalaya Basin. Houston will receive lots more refugees from NOLA, Baton Rouge and all town in between.
El Mero Guero
Post Katrina was brutal. Me and roomate had our cars broken into in the Heights 3 times in the month or two after the storm. Only time I ever brandished a firearm, was when a Katrician decided to try to punch in my window as I got into my truck in midtown. Pointed it right at his face and he almost fell down after running into the car parked next to me and then he ran like Forrest. I was fairly buzzed and leaving Sammy's...and I realize the textbook/CHL class tells you not to do that and that I could have gone to jail for a while but it worked pretty well that time.
Diggity
AG
hanging out at 2016 Main post Katrina...you were a brave soul!
El Mero Guero
quote:
hanging out at 2016 Main post Katrina...you were a stupid soul!
FIFY

That area around the bus station and McDonalds was nuts around that time.
Post removed:
by user
BMX Bandit
It's not PC to say, but New Orleans and lives of those that left have all improved significantly.
Diggity
AG
nobody said Sammy's was scary, it was the area around it that was bad (and still is).

I don't remember it being all old white women either, but who knows.
Post removed:
by user
El Mero Guero
Pete Rose posted up in that bich with flat brim reds hat once. I think there was a thread on here dedicated to it.

I don't remember old white women either...maybe that was in it's final days, but that doesn't follow the typical life cycle of a bar in Houston.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
The mayor of NO just said Katrina was the biggest man made disaster in history.

Um, what?

George Bush.

Duh.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
NOLA as a city will be fooked when/if the mighty Mississippi decides it wants change courses and flow through the Atchafalaya Basin. Houston will receive lots more refugees from NOLA, Baton Rouge and all town in between.
Unfortunately, no. Multi, multi multi millions of dollars are spent by USACE to ensure that the river follows the channel we know it to follow today.
FlyFish95
Crime absolutely went up.
Diggity
AG
maybe...but it wasn't a "wave" per se...more of a spike...or perhaps a jolt
chico
AG
quote:
quote:
Unfortunately, no. Multi, multi multi millions of dollars are spent by USACE to ensure that the river follows the channel we know it to follow today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_River_Control_Structure
schmellba99
AG
Yep. Between the lock structure and the millions spent on dredging the current channel and lining it with articulated concrete mats to prevent erosion and riverbed creep, it's not going anywhere.

The main reason the marshlands are receding, BTW.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
They might be cherry picking stats here. Many of the evacuees wound up in Houston suburbs so those crime stats may not wind up in official City of Houston crime stats

Yup. NW Houston and Acres Homes is still packed with them. They all drive busted up cars from the early 90's with Saints crap all over it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Yep. Between the lock structure and the millions spent on dredging the current channel and lining it with articulated concrete mats to prevent erosion and riverbed creep, it's not going anywhere.

Not to hijack but if you've seen some of the stuff they're doing to restore the marsh it's really cool and quite fascinating.
txags92
AG
quote:

My money is on the river. It is eventually going to break loose through some combination of freak flood event, runaway barge, and/or bureaucratic apathy, and when it does, we aren't going to get it back. The Army dropping sand bags into the Katrina levee breaks is going to look like child's play compared to what it will take to redirect the Mississippi when that control structure fails.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.