Houston
Sponsored by

Decision made on moving ITL

9,708 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by exp
Ray Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Booooooooo above poster
IvanAg07
AG
quote:
If the discussion was about Chicago, NYC, Vancouver, Denver, San Diego, Etc but it isn't. Houston is a dump compared to these and many other cities and it doesn't matter where you live
Hey hey I kinda like the million dollar house look next to a crack house. Keeps people humble. Rags to riches, side by side.
ATM9000
AG
quote:
If the discussion was about Chicago, NYC, Vancouver, Denver, San Diego, Etc but it isn't. Houston is a dump compared to these and many other cities and it doesn't matter where you live.

Lol at Houston being a dump compared to NYC or Chicago especially NYC.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
Cushlash! Ha ha ha ITL FOR LIFE. THERE IS NO DEBATE.
/EOT
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Brazzers 19 dialing?
Ciboag96
The OTLers are just pissed because for every college gradiate that moves ITL, the prices go up and a lolpoor or 12 moves they crib OTL. That's why Cypresshood and Sprang are wheresat, bishes.
South Platte
Not from Houston. Just moved to Kingwood and have a 31 mile commute that takes me all of 35-40 minutes at 6 AM. Get your butt out of bed and get after it. OTL appears to be the only way to go. God bless you guys that bring in $200k per year and can live ITL and buy a $500,000 home that is 70 years old. We both found what works for us.
South Platte
quote:
If the discussion was about Chicago, NYC, Vancouver, Denver, San Diego, Etc but it isn't. Houston is a dump compared to these and many other cities and it doesn't matter where you live.

Denver? Their freeway system is setup to show you the dumpiest part of the city. You have to work hard to find the nice areas. High plains desert is definitely cool, but there are only a couple of decent public schools serving the 2million population. And their ITL is essentially our Beltway 8. NOBODY with kids lives ITL up there.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
Not from Houston. Just moved to Kingwood and have a 31 mile commute that takes me all of 35-40 minutes at 6 . AM. Get your butt out of bed and get after it. OTL appears to be the only way to go.
Thanks for the education, self-admitted newbie.
I had a home in Denver and Cherry Creek was quite easy to deal with. JMO. Riverside Park was great, also.
Denver has an emerging multi-modal transit system that is becoming a national model, btw.

As to your butt/bed, have fun; you just committed to 6-7 hours/week stuck in traffic; with 1000-2000 new homes about to pop up right next door, prepare for more. I reverse commute a total of 2.5 hrs/week, which gives me 4+ hours/week you don't have.

But YOU'RE the expert!
HtownAg92
AG
Denver is a sh**hole. And Vancouver? This just in....it is in Canada.

San Diego is great for visiting but if you want to live "ITL" or in a nice place, be prepared to drop $800k on a 800 sq/ft 1-1, or work out a nice payment on a 60-year note if you want anything bigger.

It has the best weather in the nation, but with that one of the biggest homeless problems. Oh, and don't forget, you are living in the People's Gaypublic of Drugifornia.

88jrt06
AG
quote:
Denver is a sh**hole.
Really.
jh0400
AG
quote:
Not from Houston. Just moved to Kingwood and have a 31 mile commute that takes me all of 35-40 minutes at 6 AM. Get your butt out of bed and get after it. OTL appears to be the only way to go. God bless you guys that bring in $200k per year and can live ITL and buy a $500,000 home that is 70 years old. We both found what works for us.

Leave for work at 6 am? **** that.
Texan76
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have also wondered and hoped what would happen to some of the schools if all the ITL families would send their kids to public school.

I'm just guessing that with the constant influx of younger families that the system has to improve at some point. Just how long that takes is the question. Sure as hell has changed a lot since I moved here 7 years ago.

People have been thinking this a long time. It isn't going to change. Mommies will demand private school or nice public school because mom is worried about the riff raf. Dad then either decides to fork it over and go private or move to burbs.
Harvard Elementary in the Heights and Oak Forest Elem in Oak Forest are two examples of good public schools. I'm not zoned to either, but that seems like a start to me.
Mark Twain is damn good. So is River Oaks Elementary.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Denver is a sh**hole. And Vancouver? This just in....it is in Canada.

San Diego is great for visiting but if you want to live "ITL" or in a nice place, be prepared to drop $800k on a 800 sq/ft 1-1, or work out a nice payment on a 60-year note if you want anything bigger.

It has the best weather in the nation, but with that one of the biggest homeless problems. Oh, and don't forget, you are living in the People's Gaypublic of Drugifornia.

ha, funny.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have also wondered and hoped what would happen to some of the schools if all the ITL families would send their kids to public school.

I'm just guessing that with the constant influx of younger families that the system has to improve at some point. Just how long that takes is the question. Sure as hell has changed a lot since I moved here 7 years ago.

People have been thinking this a long time. It isn't going to change. Mommies will demand private school or nice public school because mom is worried about the riff raf. Dad then either decides to fork it over and go private or move to burbs.
Harvard Elementary in the Heights and Oak Forest Elem in Oak Forest are two examples of good public schools. I'm not zoned to either, but that seems like a start to me.
Mark Twain is damn good. So is River Oaks Elementary.
So is Roberts.
HtownAg92
AG
Twain, Roberts, West U, Horn are all great schools, but are bursting at the seams. Twain, WU and Horn have all but eliminated magnet programs and can no longer even guarantee a spot for resident kids.
Bondag
AG
I usually reverse commute, but I have been working downtown recently. How much is gas these days? I last filled up on 7/11.
JFrench
AG
I lived ITL for about 5-6 years. My commute is 30 mins longer now but havent had a single burglary since.

But i still havent decided if the convenience was worth replacing a few car windows, my tools, some old clothes, and a bag of frozen chicken
88jrt06
AG
Well the wards aren't for everyone.
exp
AG
I don't understand working folk that move to Bridgeland without kids. Strange life choice.

Congrats on the move though. If I made an additional 80k or had an additional 200k lying around we'd consider doing the same.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.