Houston
Sponsored by

Has anyone ever proposed a ban on valet parking?

6,837 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Texan76
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't get the point of valet parking. You let a complete stranger take your car and risk getting things stolen. I can park my own car.

I would definitely support this ban.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
People are too lazy for that.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I refuse to valet. If your business doesn't have free spots to park because it's all designated for valet, and there is no convenient off site parking, I'm taking my business elsewhere.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Valet parking.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I like it, but hate when those ****ers orange cone the entire parking lot when I'm trying to visit another establishment.
bigjag19
AG
When they opened Cheesecake Factory at Baybrook there was valet. It quickly disappeared as no one would use it.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I like it, but hate when those ****ers orange cone the entire parking lot when I'm trying to visit another establishment.

Like going to Mala in Montrose and El Rey valet takes the entire lot.
7nine
Aggie09Derek
AG
I understand the reason behind it but if the whole lot is Valet it better be complimentary.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
It's awesome when they drive it 10 ft and expect a tip.
drumboy
AG
Our favorite Olive Garden is rumored to be going valet. I swear I'll go to Longhorn Steakhouse if they do this.
Furlock Bones
AG
Poors
Waffledynamics
AG
I wouldn't even do it if I was loaded. Just doesn't seem appealing to me to have a complete stranger drive my car to a parking space I can so easily get to myself.
3rdGenAg05
AG
We get it. Just don't do it and walk. Are there any other things you don't like we should think about banning? Car washes, mechanics...

I still wonder why the USA is the only place in the left in the world where restaurants still disappear with your card to ring up the bill. Everywhere else on the planet you pay at the table so you aren't giving your credit card to a complete stranger. Even still, I don't think we should ban restaurants.
aggiedent
AG
Big government!!! Lets ban everything we personally don't like.

Valet.....gone.
Dogs on the outdoor patio of a restaurant.......gone.
Crying kids.......gone.
People who wear open toed sandals in public but have toe nails like a twisted frito-lay........gone.

Ban it all baby!!
RK
AG
quote:
I wouldn't even do it if I was loaded. Just doesn't seem appealing to me to have a complete stranger drive my car to a parking space I can so easily get to myself.
that parking spot, however, would likely not be available if there was no valet. at least that is the case at most popular destinations in town where parking is somewhat at a premium.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I would rather pay for valet than park 2 miles away in and walk in 102 degree heat, but then again I am not poor & I am lazy
MouthBQ98
AG
Valet = car dented, stuff stolen, or poor person sweat funk on your steering wheel.

I drive a manual. I don't trust most valets I see to be capable with one.
drumboy
AG
quote:

What about places where the valet parks cars in an off site lot or double parks cars because space is a premium and not wasted on a lot that's rarely full?
drumboy
AG
quote:
Valet = car dented, stuff stolen, or poor person sweat funk on your steering wheel.

Any parking lot has the risk of door dings, and I trust the valet more than most dumbasses opening their door without paying attention.

Also, valets can drive a standard. Nobody had a problem with my Civic, 240D, A4 or WRXes.
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
I would rather pay for valet than park 2 miles away in and walk in 102 degree heat,

Or, you can just choose somewhere else to dine.
Panama Red
AG
How much overlap is there between the "I refuse to valet anywhere," the "the best steak in town is the one I cook on my backyard grill," and the "uses calculator to determine tip" crowds?
Furlock Bones
AG
I'd say that Venn Diagram is closer to a circle than a triangle that's for sure.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
How much overlap is there between the "I refuse to valet anywhere," the "the best steak in town is the one I cook on my backyard grill," and the "uses calculator to determine tip" crowds?
I have a feeling OTL'ers and 'I like chain restaurants' are in there somewhere too (redundant I know)
rhoswen
AG
So the OP wants to ban something because he personally thinks it's pointless.

Nanny state indeed.
aTm2004
AG
I have a buddy that's had a couple of Porsches (GTS and Turbo S) who doesn't like to valet because of some of the reasons on this thread. He texted me once saying he was going to meet some friends at a club and decided to take the Porsche and valet it. When he got there, the wind was let out of his sails when he saw some Ferrari's, Lambos, and McLarens parked out front.

But yeah, I'm not big on valeting but will do it occasionally if it's going to be a lot easier. Last time I was at Pappas Steakhouse, I drove through the lot to self park, but there was nothing. Instead of acting like I was back in college and parking at the end of an aisle waiting for a spot to open, we just went to the valet and walked in.
Petrino1
I dont mind valet parking if the place warrants it (Pappas Steakhouse, Vic and Anthonys etc), but it drives me nuts to be forced to valet at mexican restaurants like Cyclone Anayas/El Tiempo, or some random bar like Boheme. Keep the valet only to the classy establishments, not just every random restaurant/bar in town.
aggiedent
AG
quote:

Hell, every valet lot at fine dining restaurants is filled with Porsche, Ferrari, Lambos, etc. Being able to drive a manual is the first requirement. Who doesn't know how to drive a manual?
Texaggie7nine
I guess you cool ITLers would applaud a valet at Whataburger.
7nine
aggiedent
AG
quote:
When he got there, the wind was let out of his sails when he saw some Ferrari's, Lambos, and McLarens parked out front.

Why? His less expensive Porsche's are a whole lot better and more practical. You can actually drive them as every day cars without getting them serviced every 5 minutes. Your friend is the smart one.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Do some people not understand why Valet exists for non high end places?
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:

Hell, every valet lot at fine dining restaurants is filled with Porsche, Ferrari, Lambos, etc. Being able to drive a manual is the first requirement. Who doesn't know how to drive a manual?
Many of the exotics now come with paddle shifters and the ability to drive it as an automatic. The electric transmissions are freaky fast in them as well. A true manual can still be had in some of them, but they're becoming few and far between due to technology. Even in the Pony cars and Vettes, autos are just as fast as the manuals, and people tend to get the manual just for the thrill of it. I think the Vipers are the only exotic/sports car that comes as a manual only.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
When he got there, the wind was let out of his sails when he saw some Ferrari's, Lambos, and McLarens parked out front.

Why? His less expensive Porsche's are a whole lot better and more practical. You can actually drive them as every day cars without getting them serviced every 5 minutes. Your friend is the smart one.
I agree, and he knows it as well. But to the average Joe, they'll look at a Lambo Guillardo and think "oooh, a Lamborghini" and not give a second thought to the Porsche next to it costing nearly as much and is a better overall daily and track car. Honestly, in the realm of exotics, Porsche is king IMO.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Do some people not understand why Valet exists for non high end places?
Enlighten us...and this is coming from a person who did a few valet jobs in and after college for some extra cash.
David Carr
Some of you factor in whether or not a restaurant has valet in your decision to dine at said establishment?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Being able to fit a good amount of cars more in smaller spaces. Being able to park behind other cars etc.

Also being able to use a parking lot offsite (sometimes a few blocks away).

Lots of places in big metros can't have big parking lots to fit all their customers cars due to the cost.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.