Houston
Sponsored by

Price for a wedding cake

3,509 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AggieEquestrian09
Theblondewonder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And to give you an idea of our base prices, we charge $4.50/slice for our regular flavors and $5/slice for specialty flavors for wedding tier cakes. Our cupcakes are $3/regular flavors, $3.50/ specialty flavor for cupcake towers. (These don't include decoration costs/delivery fee/setup fee/rental stands)

Is this high for the tine?

TIA.
agmatt06
AG
As soon as they know it's for a wedding they jack up the price.
onceaggie
AG
Is it for a gay wedding?
DiskoTroop
Been pricing this lately. $5 a slice is high.

$4 is average. $3 a slice is good.

Mini cupcakes are something like $9-$11 a dozen for anything under 250.

Just what I've found so far that sticks out in my mind.
terradactylexpress
Yes it is ****ing high and yes it is a ****ty rip off.
Silky Johnston
What is the name of your company? I will be getting married soon and would like to avoid you at all costs.
JYDog90
Guitarsoup
AG
Hard to say if it is high or low without knowing how good the cake is.
Joan Wilder
AG
I just got married two months ago. That's high, particularly when you're not including set up, delivery, or rental items.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I saw the thread because i was having this same convo with my fiancee... Then i realized who posted
Theblondewonder
Guitarsoup
AG
Crave Cupcakes are $3.50/each. Each one is probably bigger than your average wedding slide. Plus, lots of flavors.
malenurse
AG
quote:
Price for a wedding cake
No sex for the rest of your life
keysercade
AG
IF you want to stand out don't charge rental fees for the stands, setup, etc. Add it to the price and be done. Nothing pissed me off more when we were planning our wedding than going through a whole quote and being nickled and dimed at the end. The florist and cake people were all included and it was one of the main reasons (after quality) that we picked them.
/kc
Theblondewonder
AG
This isn't my bakery - it's Sweet Origins.
Guitarsoup
AG
Check out Three Brothers. My wife loves their cakes.
Theblondewonder
AG
OK, thanks! I was considering them as the Yelp reviews are pretty good.
Joan Wilder
AG
Cakes by Gina. Best cake we tasted and beautiful designs.

We used Sprinkles for mini-cupcakes instead of a groom's cake and they were a huge hit.
DiskoTroop
I priced What's up Cupcake (it appears their site is down but here's their Yelp)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/whats-up-cupcake-houston

For 300 mini cupcakes in 3 flavors, delivery, set up and rental stands they wanted like $450. I found that reasonable.

And then priced these folks in Katy:

The Iced Cupcake
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-iced-cupcake-katy

They quoted me $11 a dozen for anything under 250. When I told her we needed 300 and we wanted a small cake for the "cutting" ceremony too, she said that price per dozen would come down some. She didn't commit to a number but even if it's a dollar a dozen off, that's only $250 for the cakes, then she said it's like $30-$50 for a cutting cake. All free delivery. That leaves $150 for stands and trays, etc. though we didn't discuss if those were included. They may be.

Their site is down too apparently but I know for a fact they're up and running. They're right next to Freebirds on Mason. Good cakes, very reasonable prices. Don't know for sure but the owner I talked to was wearing an Aggie shirt so it may be Ag owned.

Give them a shout.
Guitarsoup
AG
The big names in Houston are:

Cakes by Gina
Edible Designs by Jesse
Who Made The Cake?
Three Brothers is also great.
Also, what Dr. Doctor and Ladyfriend did was awesome - he had several different pies as a Groom's cake.
Doing what Clarke95 did with the cupcakes is Super.

DiskoTroop
I quoted Gina, Jesse and who made the cake and they all wanted $1000+ for similar setups. They're crazed.
DiskoTroop

quote:
Also, what Dr. Doctor and Ladyfriend did was awesome - he had several different pies as a Groom's cake.

I may have been at this wedding... Was it at Old Dobbin Station a couple of years ago?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

quote:

I may have been at this wedding... Was it at Old Dobbin Station a couple of years ago?
Nope. I think they got married before Olde Dobbin was a thing.
Guitarsoup
AG
If you want something really amazing, check out my cousin's bakery in New Orleans. Only it will be ridiculously expensive b/c it is in NOLA and has to be freezer packed.

http://debbiedoesdoberge.com/

But if you ever go through there, try one. A great doberge cake is amazing.
Theblondewonder
AG
Debbie's looks sooo good.

I will be in NOLA this weekend
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

It isn't icing in between the layers of cake - it is a rich pudding. Stop by Twelve Mile Limit and get one. I've had several flavors and all are ridiculously amazing.
Theblondewonder
AG
I'm there for a bachelorette party.. if I can convince the bride, I'll definitely go check it out.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:

It isn't icing in between the layers of cake - it is a rich pudding. Stop by Twelve Mile Limit and get one. I've had several flavors and all are ridiculously amazing.
Eff it. Sold. KitKat, stop the looking. We're doing this.
Theblondewonder
AG
Debbie's has a full 5 star rating on Yelp...that is almost unheard of
Joan Wilder
AG
If you're doing cupcakes, minis are the way to go. Allows people to try different flavors. My fianc custom designed the toppers with Sprinkles.

Watch delivery fees if you're expecting them to travel >20miles. You'll also need to prepare for the amount of room a 300 cupcake tier will take up.
Diggity
AG
and that's what you call...upselling
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
quote:
Yes it is ****ing high and yes it is a ****ty rip off.
Anyone else read this in Samuel L. Jackson's voice?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Susie's Cakes out by you guys. We used them a few years ago based on a recommendation from my event planner sister in law.

http://susiescakes.com/about.htm

The cake I had at the sampling was the best cake I'd ever had. I was pissed that I didn't get any cake at the wedding. Because it was good ****ing cake.

terradactylexpress
Check out Alphorn bakery right by midtown. Charged a very reasonable price per cake and didn't try to convince you that you needed a slice per person. Also didn't charge for any of the extras. Their cakes were fantastic
MrJonMan
AG
We used edible designs by Jessie but bc we got married at Agave Road & it was "included". Yes, Jessie is expensive. My cake came out pretty good though.

I'm an Entomlogist (bug man) and have an older Corvette

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.