Houston
Sponsored by

HERO's gotta go on the ballot

19,811 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ryan the Temp
JYDog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tx Supreme Court says.
tylercsbn9
AG
#freedomwins
Ryan the Temp
AG
Breaking News: Texas Supreme Court legalizes voter fraud by forcing the city to accept tens of thousands of forged signatures

The Supreme Court basically said, "Sure, we know most of the petitions were forged, but that doesn't matter."

The plaintiffs can enjoy their victory today because November 3rd is going to a be a really ****ty day for them.
JYDog90
AG
I'm guessing 4 pages.
BMX Bandit
The city council was out of line. But don't let the facts get in the way RTT.

quote:
But what of the City Council's complaints of forgery, false oaths, and the like? Although
these issues were addressed at trial and are now pending before the court of appeals, we note that the City Secretary never claimed the referendum petition was plagued by forgery or perjury. Yet the City Council decided, of its own accord, not to act, disregarding the City Secretary's certification that the petition had enough signatures. The Charter, however, gives the City Council no discretion to reevaluate the petition; instead, it requires "immediate[]" action by the City Council following the City Secretary's certification. To give authority to the "council to make the ultimate determination of sufficiency of the petition would commit the decision to a body that could not be considered impartial." Howard, 589 S.W.2d at 750.9

If the City Council cannot independently evaluate the petition as a predicate to its ministerial duty to act, then it may not decide for itself that the petition is invalid and force the petition organizers to sue. Faced with the City Secretary's certification, the City Council had no discretion but to repeal the ordinance or proceed with the election process. If the City Council believed the City Secretary abused her discretion in certifying the petition or otherwise erred in her duties, it was nevertheless obligated to fulfill its duties under the Charter and thereafter seek any affirmative relief to which it might be entitled. But the City Council did not do so. Instead, it refused to fulfill its ministerial duty, forcing the petition organizers to file suit.

yeahtoast
AG
quote:
I'm guessing 4 pages.
Over for JCI chilidog bet.
Ryan the Temp
AG
The trial court (and jury) determined that most of the petitions were forged.

The part you bolded directly supports the assertion that this decision legalizes voter fraud by telling the city that it is not permitted to verify the authenticity of signatures.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm guessing 4 pages.
Over for JCI chilidog bet.
Under for Prince's Hamburgers.
BMX Bandit
Wrong. It says the city council can't take it upon itself to decide that when there is a process in place.

Al Bula
AG
Put it on the ballot, let the voters have the final say. I am all for this.
Ryan the Temp
AG
And the court says that process can only consist of the City Secretary counting ink on the page. It dismisses tens of thousands of forgeries as irrelevant. I guess they found their technicality - that's all these decision are, anyway.

Like I said before, let them bask in their victory today because they're going to lose in November.
BMX Bandit
City council not following procedure is now a "technicality"

Ends justify the means I guess.
RK
AG
I didn't sign it, but i'll go ahead and put my name in for one of the "forgeries".
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
City council not following procedure not counting forged petitions is now a "technicality"
FIFY
quote:
That's what the petitioners thought when they forged most of the petitions.
yeahtoast
AG
quote:
I didn't sign it, but i'll go ahead and put my name in for one of the "forgeries".
I'll put mine on the counter-signing and negate your signature.
cap-n-jack
What's wrong with letting the voters decide this Ryan?
KW02
AG
quote:
Well if a bunch of petition circulators hadn't forged thousands of signatures, it would have gone to a vote. You can thank those bad actors (who are all listed in the jury verdict) for the petition coming up short. - RTT

I think what you meant to say was if the City Council had followed procedure, it would have went to a vote.

quote:
There is a legal process in place to call an election. That process has existed in Houston for almost 102 years, and requires a petition that conforms with city and State laws. - RTT
Yes, and City Council did not follow it.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
What's wrong with letting the voters decide this Ryan?
We expected it to go to the ballot from the very beginning. The key issue, however, is that there is a petition process in place that is governed by state and local law. The petitioners failed to comply with the law by submitting legally deficient and mostly forged petitions.

Most of the petitions were forged. That is a legally established fact. The SC is forcing the city to accept the forgeries as valid because the city secretary initially counted forged or otherwise legally invalid petitions.
cap-n-jack
I acknowledge that you are closer to the situation than I am and I don't know about the signatures but I resent the way cc rammed this through. I want to be able to vote on this. I don't know how it will turn out, I've long since quit trying to forecast these things, but I want to have a voice in it.
onceaggie
AG
I can't wait to vote against this bill
agmatt06
AG
I'm still trying to figure out why this is/was necessary in the first place?

It seems like a overreach that will backfire.

schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:
City council not following procedure not counting forged petitions is now a "technicality"
FIFY
quote:

Except that most of the petitions weren't forged, and there was more than enough that were valid to meet the minimum number required for the City Secretary to validate the petition.

As far as the "forged" signatures, the article states that the majority of the signatures were valid, but on incorrect petition documents - as determined by Parker's attorney's, who could not have had any shred of impartiality when making their determination. Forged is not exactly the correct term in this application.

We all know what side you are on in this debate, but the fact of the matter is that people simply do not like the .gov or some small group of people mandating that the rest of us must acquiesce to your every demand, especially when it is like what this issue was about - and even you have to admit that this was not about anything other than pushing an agenda as far down the throat of those you really don't like while you thought you had the ability to do so.
captkirk
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
FIFY
quote:

Except that most of the petitions weren't forged, and there was more than enough that were valid to meet the minimum number required for the City Secretary to validate the petition.

As far as the "forged" signatures, the article states that the majority of the signatures were valid, but on incorrect petition documents - as determined by Parker's attorney's, who could not have had any shred of impartiality when making their determination. Forged is not exactly the correct term in this application.

We all know what side you are on in this debate, but the fact of the matter is that people simply do not like the .gov or some small group of people mandating that the rest of us must acquiesce to your every demand, especially when it is like what this issue was about - and even you have to admit that this was not about anything other than pushing an agenda as far down the throat of those you really don't like while you thought you had the ability to do so.

Whole pages of valid signatures were thrown out on a technicality. Now RTT can't accept that they got thrown back in on a technicality. Live by the technicality sword, die by the technicallity sword.
tremble
AG
So. How bad does this get smacked down come election time?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Whole pages of valid signatures were thrown out on a technicality. Now RTT can't accept that they got thrown back in on a technicality. Live by the technicality sword, die by the technicallity sword.
The expectation was always that the Texas Supreme Court would rule against the city because of its current makeup; it was only a matter of when that would happen.

So now we go to the ballot. Fine with me. Just means I will be a little busier and will make a few more campaign contributions. Fine by me because opponents are going to lose. We have reliable polling data that has 68% of likely voters in favor of the ordinance, and the opponents won't be able to hang their hat on the bathroom lie for very long.

If you think I'm upset by this development, you're wrong. We've been preparing for a ballot fight for a year and a half. The business community, on the other hand, is already freaking out about this because of the risk of damage to Houston's reputation is very high as it becomes ground zero for the first major LGBT-inclusive ballot issue since SCOTUS ruled on SSM.
cap-n-jack
What is the "bathroom lie"? For the record, I could not care less who you or anyone else is sleeping with. I just don't want it thrown in my face or be demanded of that I accept something that I don't.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
What is the "bathroom lie"? For the record, I could not care less who you or anyone else is sleeping with. I just don't want it thrown in my face or be demanded of that I accept something that I don't.
I'm not going to dignify it by posting it.
CrossBowAg99
AG
The bathroom truth is that hero lets a dood who says he is a chick use the ladies restroom without consequences
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
The bathroom truth is that hero lets a dood who says he is a chick use the ladies restroom without consequences
Here is the Houston bathroom ordinance, for your reference:

https://library.municode.com/HTML/10123/level3/COOR_CH28MIOFPR_ARTIINGE.html#COOR_CH28MIOFPR_ARTIINGE_S28-20ENREOPSE
quote:
Sec. 28-20. Entering restrooms of opposite sex.

It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly and intentionally enter any public restroom designated for the exclusive use of the sex opposite to such person's sex without the permission of the owner, tenant, manager, lessee or other person in charge of the premises, in a manner calculated to cause a disturbance.

(Code 1968, 28-42.6; Ord. No. 72-904, 2, 6-2-72)
BMX Bandit
So if you identify as the opposite sex, can you use that restroom?

Mayor Parker made a point to let the transgender community know they were protected when the language specific to them was taken out. Was she wrong?
KW02
AG
quote:
quote:
Here is the Houston bathroom ordinance, for your reference:

https://library.municode.com/HTML/10123/level3/COOR_CH28MIOFPR_ARTIINGE.html#COOR_CH28MIOFPR_ARTIINGE_S28-20ENREOPSE
quote:
Sec. 28-20. Entering restrooms of opposite sex.

It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly and intentionally enter any public restroom designated for the exclusive use of the sex opposite to such person's sex without the permission of the owner, tenant, manager, lessee or other person in charge of the premises, in a manner calculated to cause a disturbance.

(Code 1968, 28-42.6; Ord. No. 72-904, 2, 6-2-72)

"in a manner calculated to cause a disturbance."

captkirk
AG
quote:
So if you identify as the opposite sex, can you use that restroom?

Mayor Parker made a point to let the transgender community know they were protected when the language specific to them was taken out. Was she wrong?
Somebody is lying. Can Caitlyn Jenner use the girl's bathroom or not?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Caitlyn Jenner can use the womens restroom and only the womens restroom.
captkirk
AG
quote:
Then what is the "lie"?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
Then what is the "lie"?
Fine. The bathroom lie is that these ordinances will allow a sexual predator to put on a dress, rape women and children in the bathroom, then claim to be transgender as an affirmative defense.

That lie has been peddled for at least the last 30-40 years, and as long as such laws have existed in the US, there have been zero - ZERO - cases where someone claimed to be transgender as a defense for criminal actions. The sad thing is that it works. Just tell people that this law will allow someone to rape them or their children and you get them all spun up about it, even thought it's not true.

Assault was illegal before the ordinance passed, and it remains illegal today. Somebody who is intent on committing a criminal act doesn't care what the law is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.