Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone else's neighborhood/HOA Facebook page blowing up yet?

5,475 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like some folks have some real July 4th firepower outside, and the alerts are coming fast and thick. One neighbor already had a window cracked from fireworks or (he suspects) a bullet. Gonna be fun tonight.
reb,
AG
i thought we had moved on from facebook to nextdoor for that sort of thing
BBRex
AG
I guess my neighborhood is behind the times.
MrsHouston98
I actually told my husband a few min ago that I needed to check out the neighborhood FB page to see all the complaining. The past week has been all sorts of beaching about doing fireworks not on the 4th of july.
tylercsbn9
AG
Mine isn't as bad as expected. We had someone *****ing about fireworks Thursday night, but only one mom complaining because she has a sick kid and has to work tomorrow.
OXDL45
Aggielandma12
AG
I wish fb was never created. It is/will be the reason America collapses as a super power.
jetch17
AG
Good lord
Buck O Five
AG
I've been clean 13 months now.
Waltonloads08
AG
i challenge any FB page to be more stupid than the oak forest hoa page

keysercade
AG

quote:
+1
Diggity
AG
"transitioning" neighborhoods always make for good entertainment when the old guard clashes with the new residents.

I read some old timer on there the either day bashing the idea of Oak Forest having a mandatory HOA while at the same time wanting more restrictions on how big people could build. A bunch of the other old timers were all wistful about the good ole days when their neighborhood was simple and cheap.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:

This.

quote:
I've been clean 13 months now.

And this.

I have been off FB for roughly 5 months now and haven't missed it once. I see my wife surfing FB and I can't really remember what I found so appealing about it. I am starting to fall in line with Clay Travis' views on social media. And I am well aware that he probably still uses social media, making him look like a hypocrite.
GoneGirl
AG
In our neighborhood you were damned either way. You were either an ass who disrespects the military for shooting fireworks or a commie jerk for not shooting them.

Then one of our HOA board members announced that there would be bands of police roaming the neighborhood writing $1,000 per firework tickets.

A lot of it stems from a disagreement of whether or not fire works are legal in our neighborhood, which is in a SPA of Houston.

We left town and spent the holiday at Pensacola NAS with Darius Rucker and 50,000 military folks who were perfectly happy to drink beer and watch things blow up.
swimmerbabe11
I got kicked off of mine because I wouldn't give 'em my real last name
JSKolache
AG
Pecan Grove FB group is epic. 4k people *****ing about speeding teenagers and posting missing dogs & getting instantly flamed by ereone else. So entertaining...
malenurse
AG
This!!!! PG is full of busybody, uninformed, self righteous morons.

And me, of course.
Satellite of Love
quote:
In our neighborhood you were damned either way. You were either an ass who disrespects the military for shooting fireworks or a commie jerk for not shooting them.

Then one of our HOA board members announced that there would be bands of police roaming the neighborhood writing $1,000 per firework tickets.

A lot of it stems from a disagreement of whether or not fire works are legal in our neighborhood, which is in a SPA of Houston.

We left town and spent the holiday at Pensacola NAS with Darius Rucker and 50,000 military folks who were perfectly happy to drink beer and watch things blow up.
What does SPA mean? If you are in the city of Houston then firework are illegal. If you aren't, but are in Harris county, then the HOA can only enforce those deed restrictions that registered with the county. NOT what the HOA board feels like banning.
Satellite of Love
There has been a sweet debate on the Westbury NextDoor site on whether or not garage sales are against deed restrictions.
Diggity
AG
That one happens every few months. Always entertaining.

I liked the post the other day where the crazy lady told everyone that if people keep putting trash in her front yard, she's going to put it in the middle of the road so everyone will pay. It was unfortunately pulled.
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
There has been a sweet debate on the Westbury NextDoor site on whether or not garage sales are against deed restrictions.

They great thing is that the busy bodies will drive around pulling up garage sale signs because they don't want "those kinds of people" coming into their neighborhood.

Yet....what kind of people do they think are mowing lawns?
Diggity
AG
There's a guy on Bellfort who just built a house and I'm pretty sure he designed his driveways in order to market his collection of Mustangs for sale. We get all types.
Texas A&M
We live in Montgomery County. They are against our deed restrictions, but not against the law.....so most people do some sort of fireworks. Our neighborhood has both a FB page and a Yahoo Group page. Both go crazy with the nervous Nancy types complaining about all the deed-breakers. This year it was raised to a new level when someone had a vet staying with them who has PTSD. They asked that anybody close to them not do fireworks. We don't live close enough to them for us to worry about it, but IMO it was a little irresponsible of them to bring him in for the evening if they know people do fireworks and they know he has this issue.

This year we had a new experience though. We had one explosion that night that shook our windows. The constables thought it was Tannerite. Whatever it was, they did it on the 5th and it shook our windows again.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB

quote:
but IMO it was a little irresponsible of them to bring him in for the evening if they know people do fireworks and they know he has this issue.
Exactly..."Hey everyone, please kindly forego decades of American tradition this 4th of July because on that day I will be inviting a veteran who has PTSD into a neighborhood that is known to shoot fireworks every 4th. This one year, everyone please stop for us."

Unreal. I see through their BS.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:

What does SPA mean? If you are in the city of Houston then firework are illegal. If you aren't, but are in Harris county, then the HOA can only enforce those deed restrictions that registered with the county. NOT what the HOA board feels like banning.
SPA = special purpose annexation, IIRC.

TxElsie and I live in the same neighborhood. Our neighborhood FB page is hilarious and sad at times.

Our HOA does ban fireworks and the deed restrictions are registered with the county, however as I understand it the only thing which can be done is for the HOA to hand out a fine. Not the cops since we're in the Houston ETJ and fireworks aren't illegal there.

In other words, you could probably get fined $50 by the HOA but the $1000 tickets ain't happening.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:

Whoops, should have been LPA - Limited Purpose Annexation.
GoneGirl
AG
Very interesting though, because the Legislature just passed a law that cities can no longer restrict fireworks in their ETJ (takes effect in September). They can only restrict up to their city limit.

Everyone in muni govt. is wondering how this got past the Fire Chief Assn. cause this is a big issue for them. It is expected that it will be overturned in the next session.

I keep meaning to ask our Legal what it means for Limited Purpose Annexation areas, because those typically have more to do with businesses and less with residential.... it's primarily a sales tax thing.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Anyone see this gem?

swimmerbabe11
Soooo How was your fourth of July?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.