Houston
Sponsored by

Is it legal to walk around drinking a beer in Houston?

7,655 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AGeng25
Cris_Dishman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not wasted stumbling around, but just walking down the street drinking a beer.
Ray Guy
AG
If in a can yes. Some areas may have a glass bottle ordinance.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I would tuck it into a paper bag. Looks classier that way.
AustinCountyAg
Saw plenty of people last weekend doing it before Garth played
TxKng82
AG
I thought it wasnt legal...or at least I know a cop buddy who used to stop people for walking with open containers, really looking for other stuff.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
It's legal everywhere but Downtown, East Downtown and Midtown. For sporting events (and possibly other large events), the bans are lifted in Downtown and East Downtown so that people can tailgate (Rockets, Astros, Dynamo).

Legal mumbo jumbo and map here.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
You might spot me strolling down Westheimer sipping Houston's finest craft brews like a baws.
JYDog90
AG
I think if you pour it into a Zima bottle it's ok.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Bums do it all the time
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:
I think if you pour it into a Zima bottle it's ok.

---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
idAg09
What about walking around in your neighborhood? Like walking the dog, your kids, or checking the mail?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Look at Seersucker's links. Depends on where you are.
idAg09
Cypress area? Links look like we're good to go.
OXDL45
AG
Looks like I'm going to start walking more now.
vansprinkle
AG
You people don't always walk the dog while grippin n sippin?
AGeng25
AG
https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/public_consumption.asp
quote:
Following is a list of cities where TABC has adopted an order prohibiting public consumption of alcohol [in the central business district]:

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
On a sort of related note, I am curious how the old law that just went extinct of not being able to go level to level with a drink in a Texas sports stadium will impact my drunkenness.
Texan76
quote:
What about walking around in your neighborhood? Like walking the dog, your kids, or checking the mail?
I live in Afton Oaks. I see families all the time pushing a stroller with beverages all the time. I do it myself. Never had an issue.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Thank God Timpson is on the list! Now both residents can drink beer on the square.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
On a sort of related note, I am curious how the old law that just went extinct of not being able to go level to level with a drink in a Texas sports stadium will impact my drunkenness.

We went to Stros game a couple weeks just after that was overturned and it affected us greatly.

In the bar at the 5-7 grill (not the OF patio but the bar inside the grill) they serve MASSIVE beers in plastic cups. We finished our first big azz Saint Arnold and then ask the bartender if it's OK to take them out of the bar and to our seats in which she replies "It just changed. This is our first game with it being allowed".

So we had one on our way to the seats then went back for one more later on during the game.

Needless to say, we don't remember the Uber ride home.
Cris_Dishman
You had 3 beers and don't remember the ride home? You really know how to party.
Ag_07
AG
Nope. We had additional beers in between

I simply answered the question. The ability to get big beers that they don't sell anywhere else and leave with them and go from section to section affected how drunk we got.

It was very convenient
RK
AG
quote:
You had 3 beers and don't remember the ride home? You really know how to party.
says the guy [girl?] who isn't sure whether you can walk around with a beer...
yeahtoast
AG
We've gone this far and no one has mentioned what a satan's rectum TABC is?

I HATE EM. AND THEY STANK.
spadilly
S
I'm always rolling with a brewski in hand while pulling the daughter in the wagon through our neighborhood. Never had a problem.
Ag_07
AG
I imagine that there's a difference between walking around with a beer and leaving the bar with a beer.

It's not NOLA where you can out of a bar with a beer and then walk into a bar with said beer.
jetch17
AG
quote:
I'm always rolling with a brewski in hand while pulling the daughter in the wagon through our neighborhood. Never had a problem.
drumboy
AG
I walk around pushing my daughter's stroller with a beer all the time and never thought about it. Talked to a dude I recognized from Buffalo Bayou when I saw him getting cumquats from a vacant house' tree recently and he hooked me up with an 1836.
Mustang1
AG
quote:
Not wasted stumbling around, but just walking down the street drinking a beer.
What's Dishman up to these days? Houston Oiler legend.
AGeng25
AG
quote:
"Central business district" is defined as a compact and contiguous geographical area of a municipality in which at least 90 percent of the land is used or zoned for commercial purposes and that is the area that has historically been the primary location in the municipality where business has been transacted.

Per the map at https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/cities/college_station.pdf they did some fancy gerrymandering to even get within the 90% mark. On the map it says "NOTE: For the purpose of this Ordinance, the rights-of-way have been removed from the total calculation. Therefore, the total area of calculation is 9.82 acres. Of that total, the Commercial uses add up to 8.87 acres. The percentage is as follows: 8.87 (comm acres) divided by 9.82 (total acres minus the ROW) = 90.32%."

Doesn't look like the CBDs of any other city on the list made that ROW exception.

This ordinance is over 10 years old. I'd also be interested to see where the "primary" amount of business is now transacted in College Station. Does NG still qualify?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.