Houston
Sponsored by

Any tips on practicing firing a gun cheaply

3,800 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello,

I've spent most of my life scared of guns. I come from a different culture, and that's just how I grew up. This all changed recently when I went to the range for the first time. Guns all of a sudden were not as scary as I thought, and I found I actually quite enjoy firing them. I would like to spend some more time at the range, but as I am a poor grad-student such a hobby seems cost-prohibitive and I'm considering putting this hobby off for now unless I can find a cost-efficient way to do it.

I currently don't own a gun. I was thinking about buying a hi-point pistol but decided against it after everyone I talked to told me it was a bad idea. My girlfriend's mother has let me borrow her Smith & Wesson SD9VE for a while so I don't have to spend money on a rental every time. However, buying bullets and going to the range is still ~$40 every time, and that's simply too much.

I currently live near downtown houston. I've been doing most of my shooting at top gun shooting range. I took a class over there that taught me the basics such as loading a gun, checking the chamber, basic safety rules, basic firing technique etc. I really like the range, but if anyone knows of any significantly cheaper alternatives or cheaper ways to shoot it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone know any real life hacks that would allow me to procure a weapon cheaper than retail value it would also be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Bondag
AG
Become a cop.
Star Wars Memes Only
My body's too bootylicious to become a cop

Any other non life-altering tips?
CrossBowAg99
AG
try Baily's House ofGun's near 288 @ BW 8. They may be a cheaper range than top gun

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Baileys-House-of-Guns/154690744566505

For cheaper guns, if you want new, look up the eye guy at texian firearms.

For used, check out the texags classifieds page, texas gun trader website, gun broker website, maybe even 2coolfishing.com
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Buy a .22 pistol. Ammo is cheap and it will still kill somebody.
Star Wars Memes Only
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check out Baily's.
Texaggie7nine
I have that exact gun. It's really a great gun for under $300. I would recommend buying it for your first gun.

I usually shoot it over at Hot Wells range up on 290. It's far but it's only $10 per gun so if you are just going to shoot your pistol, it's just $10 no time limit.

Visit your Academy store often to see when they get in the cheaper 9mm ammo that flies off the shelf fast.
7nine
Star Wars Memes Only
I actually have shot up at Hot Wells from time to time.

How do you find the trigger on that gun? It's a little stiff for my taste.
mustang6tee8
AG
Really like my Smith & Wesson M&P 22. It's identical in size to my M&P 9mm, so it's good training for 1/3 the cost.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I actually have shot up at Hot Wells from time to time.

How do you find the trigger on that gun? It's a little stiff for my taste.

Took getting used to and altering my aiming style but I like it being stiff with full action with it having no safety.
7nine
Post removed:
by user
JakeyBS
AG
Don't go to a gun range, grab a buddy and find a river with no houses within x hundred yds. Legally shoot for free and be familiar with the the utilization outside of a bubble. Watermelons, and frozen blocks of ice are great targets. See tx fish and wildlife laws on firearms to check distance from residences. Also cannot harm the environment while shooting. Find law and bring printout with you just in case.
Ragoo
AG
Shoot dove or cats in the city.
DustysLineup
AG
Haven't been to the range at George Bush Park in a while, but I remember it being less expensive and less crowded than some alternatives: http://www.amshootcenters.com

I could give you less exspensive suggestions, but you don't sound like a redneck.

Also, you might find some private sellers at a Houston Gun Collectors club meeting. I'm by no means a gun nut (raised by old Christian hippies), but I find their meetings to be friendly and laid back: http://www.hgca.org
Does anyone know if they still meet at the SPJST hall on Beall Street?
idAg09
quote:
My body's too bootylicious to become a cop

Any other non life-altering tips?

Bootyliciois? Hmm... Post a pic and have one of these nice guys take you on dates to the range.... Better yet post on the general board and have one of those chumps take ya. You'll probably even get food!
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
They were meeting there as of 3 or so years ago. Went a few times with my father.
idAg09
quote:
Wait. No way dargs is a female?!

Re-read OP, dargs mentions girlfriend nevermind.

Unless lesbian..... the plot thickens!

Anyways, serious answer is to buy a $200 .22 and go to Hot Wells
JSKolache
AG
Buy ammo in bulk (assuming you have access to the same pistol for some time.) Ranges are going to be $10-15+ every time you go - just no way around it. Its not a cheap hobby, but its not outrageously expensive either. The range fees will rack up initially if you want to be comfortable enough to have confidence - and that is a good investment.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
I strongly recommend a Glock 19. Especially if going to be hitting the range regularly.
fire09
AG
Avoid american shooting center. The staff there will go out of their way to make sure you have a miserable time if you aren't a white male.
Star Wars Memes Only
Lol, I am a dude. Still bootylicious, though.

It's too bad to hear about how minorities are treated there. I read some of the reviews and many people seemed to echo that sentiment. Too bad.

Thanks for all the helpful tips, guys!
88jrt06
AG
quote:
Avoid american shooting center. The staff there will go out of their way to make sure you have a miserable time if you aren't a white male.

Sound like major *******s. Hope they fail.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
Wait. No way dargs is a female?!

Re-read OP, dargs mentions girlfriend nevermind.

Unless lesbian..... the plot thickens!

Anyways, serious answer is to buy a $200 .22 and go to Hot Wells
Why in the world would it make any sense to drive way the **** out 290 from downtown to go to hot wells?

I already listed a better option
Aggielandma12
AG
If you are at UH, simply walk several blocks from campus , knock on the door of a home, offer weed and ask if you can chill and shoot their gun.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
If you are at UH, simply walk several blocks from campus , knock on the door of a home, offer weed and ask if you can chill and shoot their gun.

He said cheap. Do you think weed just grows on trees or something!
7nine
DustysLineup
AG
quote:

Seriously? What did they do or say?
fire09
AG
Seriously.

Shotgun range excluded, as I've never had an issue there.

Instance 1: my wife was on the pistol line shooting her xd practicing for her chl, I was sitting on the bench behind her with my father waiting for her to do that so we could all go shoot rifles. As she picks up her pistol, a range officer fat boy runs down the line, takes the chambered pistol out of my wifes hands, and unloads it. He then proceeds to casually ask if she's shot before and if she needs help. I get up and ask him what was going on and what rule she broke. His response was that they don't see many female shooters alone and he wanted to make sure she could shoot safely. I asked again what rules she was breaking and what she did that was more unsafe than him taking a chambered pistol out of her hand. Same excuse, no rules broken.

Instance 2: rifle range, me, dad, and a good friend of mine who is a 3 gun shooter were sighting in my new 1-6. He is not white. My dad is walking back from the car when right in front of him, some ****** with a handlebar is telling another RO to "go down there and watch the colored boy." Ok, this pissed off my dad but he wanted us to shoot. The RO then proceeds to stand about a foot behind me with his face about 6 inches from mine while I'm looking down the scope of my rifle. This might not have been weird for a second, but he was there for about 3 minutes. I didn't shoot, move or acknowledge him at all until he backed up, then I asked him what the problem was. He wanted to make sure I wasnt rapid firing. I had fired 2 rounds in about 10 minutes. He then stood in front of my "colored" friend who was on the spotting scope and ignored him when he politely asked him to stand aside a few feet so we could finish up.

**** that place.
88jrt06
AG
Agreed. You shouldn't have to take that crap.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Go to Boyert on Westheimer inside BW8. Love that place and staff is first class.
AggieMarkSA
quote:
Oh i don't know about that. I'm a white male and a competitive shooter. They make me have a miserable time too. Freaked out on me once when i had to stovepipe an old .22 to keep the action open. Used to be acceptable practice there for something that didn't lock open...
Texas Tea
AG
quote:
quote:
Oh i don't know about that. I'm a white male and a competitive shooter. They make me have a miserable time too. Freaked out on me once when i had to stovepipe an old .22 to keep the action open. Used to be acceptable practice there for something that didn't lock open...
Agreed. As far as I can tell, they're not particularly cordial to white males either.
Zobel
AG
I don't envy their job. Have you seen how many holes there are in the covered area of the bench?
DavidAg02
Buy a Ruger 10-22 for around $250. Ammo for it is the cheapest you can buy for any gun.

Outdoor rifle ranges tend to have the cheapest prices. I like American Shooting Center off of Hwy 6 for an inexpensive day at the range. For around $50 in ammo and range fees I can shoot my 10-22 for hours...
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Buy a Ruger 10-22 for around $250. Ammo for it is the cheapest you can buy for any gun.

Outdoor rifle ranges tend to have the cheapest prices. I like American Shooting Center off of Hwy 6 for an inexpensive day at the range. For around $50 in ammo and range fees I can shoot my 10-22 for hours...

And im right next door! /end shameless plug

The also have 22 silhouettes which ate supposedly pretty fun
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.