Houston
Sponsored by

Houston weekend getaway - hotel suggestion?

2,888 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by herb96
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kiddos are headed to band camp (flute comment protected) for a couple weeks so the rib and I are going to hit the tine for a weekend. Looking for downtown hotel suggestions and other suggestions for mischief to get into other than the obvious.

TIA
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The new JW downtown is a decent property. Down the street from flying saucer and walking distance to pretty much everything downtown.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Wait a couple months. Judge Emmett is turning the Dome into a giant hotel/convention center/park/gambling hall. It should be ready very soon.
Catch
AG

Hotel Icon and Magnolia Hotel are both pretty nice.

Hotel Icon is much closer to the bars in the Market Square area, plus plenty of other within walking distance down Main.
TXAG 05
AG
ZaZa is pretty solid too.
DustysLineup
AG
Paradise Motel on Hempstead has never done me wrong for a romantic getaway.
Catch
AG
quote:
ZaZa is pretty solid too.

ZaZa is a bit far from Downtown.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Hotel Icon is much closer to the bars in the Market Square area, plus plenty of other within walking distance down Main.
This was our staycation back in October. Do this. Hearsay, Honeymoon, Okra, and Public Services all nearby and recommended. Batanga is not recommended. I also personally didn't care for Pastry War but I also got the feeling I wasn't cool enough to understand it.
Catch
AG
quote:
quote:
This was our staycation back in October. Do this. Hearsay, Honeymoon, Okra, and Public Services all nearby and recommended. Batanga is not recommended. I also personally didn't care for Pastry War but I also got the feeling I wasn't cool enough to understand it.

In addition to those bars I'm pretty sure that at least a half dozen new bars have opened down there since October. Every time I go downtown I'm shocked to see how many new joints have popped up.
Alex Bregman
AG
Those $400k townhomes David Weekley are building have an excellent view of the Paradise Motel and the graffitied out La Cocina Hamburger joint.
DustysLineup
AG
It's like the Star Motel on Washington...you ask yourself, "How is this place still around?" Then you stop thinking about it.
agnatgas
AG
While not downtown, Hotel ZaZa has a very nice pool scene.
Furlock Bones
AG
Batanga and pastry war are both great. Not sure what farmer john is on. Bovine and Barley is also a new good spot.

Head to we big bad and take a shot of xxx tequila.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
Batanga and pastry war are both great. Not sure what farmer john is on. Bovine and Barley is also a new good spot.

Head to we big bad and take a shot of xxx tequila.
this. also recommend playing finger koozie in dean's
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Batanga and pastry war are both great.
I've been twice this year to Batanga. Batanga's food is overly salty, their mixed drinks are weak and sugary, and they have no idea how to run a tapas restaurant. I gave them a pass the first time as a bad night and tapas is hard; but after that I just realized they are not good.

As for Pastry War, I can see how people would like it; I just don't. Kind of trippy vibe, but what soured me on it was that I had no idea what to get. I don't love tequila enough or am sophisticated enough to breeze through their menu. I'm all for refusing to dumb down a menu for the masses but sometimes I want something where I have some idea what it will taste like when I order it. At Pastry War for me, that means beer, probably a Modelo.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Is there a tapas place in Houston that is better run with better food?
Fall92
AG
Mi Luna?
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
FarmerJohn
AG
I've been to Mi Luna, Rioja, and Batanga. Both Mi Luna and Rioja were better run than Batanga. Mi Luna had better food as well. Rioja was under new management last time I went and it seemed they were working out some kinks on the menu, though even with that they were still better than Batanga. I haven't been to Rioja since that trip, so I don't know if they were able to work things out.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks all!
herb96
AG
Oporto on West Gray is good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.