Houston
Sponsored by

Kung Fu Saloon could become good people watching

2,045 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Wonderer
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KFS settles DOJ racism claims

The Houston Press' take on the matter

quote:
Tuesday, the USDOJ announced a settlement with the bar after it had filed a lawsuit alleging discrimination based on race, color and national origin. The complaint says since 2011, dozens of times African-Americans and Asian-American customers were turned away based on a dress code when similarly dressed white patrons were allowed to enter. The original complaint was in Dallas but the government says there was a pattern at locations in Austin and Houston.

[...]

According to the federal government, Kung Fu Saloon has to make many changes. All locations must post signs and on social media and its website that everyone is welcomed. The establishment must also put its dress code in writing and implement a system for receiving and investigating complaints of discrimination. Additionally, all employees must receive civil rights training and a copy of the agreement reached with the justice department.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The irony of Kung Fu Saloon not allowing Asians in.
Al Bula
AG
Kung Fu Saloon gonna get Farrago'ed.

White flight happens in bars also. Kung Fu knows this and is just trying to protect the customer base who would no doubt be driven away by other obnoxious, violent, rude and cheap patrons.
RK
AG
so they have to post that everyone is welcome...and also post their dress code? I'm guessing the later will be worded to appropriately limit some of the former.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
If you have been in the Houston KF, then you know this will not apply.

It has always been very colorful
Waltonloads08
AG
The Department of Social Justice
The Wonderer
AG
quote:

The claim was made from the Dallas location I believe. I've always seen a mix at the Houston location. All two times.
Flaith
AG
This was most prevalent at the Houston location the months after it opened. A friend who knew one of the door guys was told straight up that they were instructed to not let in groups of Asians to keep it from becoming an "Asian hangout".
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

This. I have only been a couple times but this was the case everytime.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
quote:
This was most prevalent at the Houston location the months after it opened. A friend who knew one of the door guys was told straight up that they were instructed to not let in groups of Asians to keep it from becoming an "Asian hangout".
i dated a bartender in Houston on the washington strip and she said every time she noticed a lot of Asians frequenting the bar she would start looking for another bar. I'm not saying i agree with it but that bar almost always closed or was sold to new ownership.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Is the asian thing due to tipping or something else?
CrossBowAg99
AG
Small Peen's so no chicks show up
Joan Wilder
AG
So will the dress code note the minimum amount of embroidery required for men's shirts? Because the few times I've been there, that was clearly the required uniform.
aggivedave16
I would've assumed assumed that Asians were good tippers. Interesting.

Plus, I have a bunch a friends with Asian fetishes and don't mind the Asian (female) invasion.... Tonight it would drive more patrons to the establishment.
HeightsAg
I don't think it's explicitly an Asian thing. Rather, it signifies the beginning of the end. Based on my observation, the typical progression of a bar/club goes something like this: socialites, whites/tokens, asians, hispanics, blacks, close and reopen with new concept.
drumboy
AG
Wife mentioned how clubs wouldn't let groups of Asians in when we first started dating. Shocked me cause I like looking at hot Asians.

They tip well but don't get white girl drunk.
E
AG
Asian girls
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
No sympathy with anyone on either side.

Let these vinegar vaults survive or fail in the marketplace.
BarryProfit
quote:

They tip well but don't get white girl drunk.

This makes me sad.
withoutatrout
Doesn't this go against the establishment's right to refuse service?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Doesn't this go against the establishment's right to refuse service?
Places of "public accommodation" (which includes restaurants and bars and hotels) cannot do so based solely on a protected classes of race, color, religion, or national origin pursuant to the the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This is why dress codes are the preferred method of restricting access to an establishment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.