Houston
Sponsored by

Failure to appear scam?

3,986 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 98Ag99Grad
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We had a message on our answering machine this evening for my wife from a guy stating he was Sgt. Jackson with the HCSO. He stated he had a warrant for her for failure to appear and left a number to call. She called and it went straight to voicemail. A few things:

1. We've lived in Pearland for about 10 years which is Brazoria Co., not Harris.
2. This is a misdemeanor so you can look it up on their website; her name was no where to be found
3. I googled this and found several instances across the US where this has been going around but nothing specific to Texas or Harris Co.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm about 99% sure this is BS.
LostInLA07
AG
Perhaps call HCSO and ask. Sounds like a scam.
84AGEC
AG
When they say you have to pay over the phone by credit card. It's a scam.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Tried calling the non-emergency line but never reached a person, just a bunch of recordings. She'll try again in the morning.
Catch
AG
I had something similar happen a year or so ago, only it was via e-mail not phone.
I bypassed the e-mail and called directly and they had no record of it. They asked me to forward them the e-mail so they could look into it, but I never heard back about it. I just assumed it was some sort of scam.
Ryan the Temp
AG
A guy who used to work for us fell for it. He gave them his credit card number, DL number, DOB, and SS number.
g_werch
AG
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
A guy who used to work for us fell for it. He gave them his credit card number, DL number, DOB, and SS number.
Someone this intelligent worked for the City? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell ya!
Ryan the Temp
AG
There's a reason he used to work for us.
Silky Johnston
Yeah, he probably got promoted.
Bondag
AG
I got a recorded message from IRS saying they are going to sue me if I don't call back. Think they will want my SS#?
98Ag99Grad
AG
As suspected it was nothing. Called HCSO this morning and they said it's been going around in town.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The best part of this whole thing is that you still have an answering machine.
dds08
AG
Go down to the courthouse and make sure you don't have any warrants.
Hwy30East
quote:
I got a recorded message from IRS saying they are going to sue me if I don't call back. Think they will want my SS#?

I've had them leave this message (in a heavy Indian accent) a couple of times over the last year.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
a little different, but we got the "final notice we've been trying to deliver a package to you scam"

yada yada yada call back and need a credit card etc to get your package.
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
The best part of this whole thing is that you still have an answering machine.
It was free with the phone!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.