Houston
Sponsored by

Best muffetta in the tine

8,282 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Catch
cap-n-jack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where is it?
Ag_07
AG
St James aka The Church
cap-n-jack
I can't take my kids there.
Al Bula
AG
Carter & Cooley in the Heights makes a damn good muffaletta.

Carter & Cooley Company Delicatessen
Ag_07
AG
Oh muffaletta NOT muffetta. My bad

Sorry can't help you there.
Mookie
AG
Sonnys place in GTine
DustysLineup
AG
Jason's Deli. Seriously.

But I haven't tried it at Carter & Cooley's yet; I usually get the Reuben there.
Panama Red
AG
1- the one I make at my house

2-Central Grocery. Thank me later. /tineboard
Ragoo
AG
the mayor?
theBaum
AG
Carter & Cooley is definitely worth a try. Revival Market is another spot to keep in mind. My new favorite might be Honeymoon Cafe in downtown.

If all else fails, Ragin' Cajun can still impress.
Kujo30
AG
Lacy's Deli downtown. It's a religious experience.

The bread on Jason's Deli's muffaletta is entirely too dry and I bit into an olive pit once.
Biz Ag
AG
Trebeard's
BohunkAg
AG
your mom's
Catch
AG
quote:
Sonnys place in GTine

This^

Never had a Muffaletta in Houston, or anywhere for that matter, that could hold a candle to Sonny's Muffaletta.

FtBendTxAg
AG
Murphy's makes a surprisingly good one IMO. probably differs wildly from location to location
T Durden
AG
Post the recipe homie. Where do you get the bread?
JSKolache
AG
Jason's Deli. Get a half and half, some of those gingerbread muffins, and a soft serve on ur way out.
Aggie09Derek
AG
District 7
lereag02
Had a great one at Zachary's in Kingwood
MichaelJ
AG
in a discussion about the best specialty sammich such as the Muff...Murphy's and Jason's do not belong even in the honorable mention...

I have had the burgers at Sonny's...that place is great...everything there is good...but I cannot fathom that someone just said "no Muffalatta anywhere is better than the one at Sonny's."

theirs may be good...but i assure you...there are ones in new orleans that are better...
Panama Red
AG
Took a bit longer than usual, but "that guy" showed up.

Thanks MichaelJ
jetch17
AG
Sonnys doesn't have free ice cream
Ag_07
AG
quote:
in a discussion about the best specialty sammich such as the Muff...Murphy's and Jason's do not belong even in the honorable mention...

I have had the burgers at Sonny's...that place is great...everything there is good...but I cannot fathom that someone just said "no Muffalatta anywhere is better than the one at Sonny's."

theirs may be good...but i assure you...there are ones in new orleans that are better...
Catch
AG
quote:
I can agree with this wholeheartedly.

quote:

I didn't say that no Muffaletta anywhere was better, just that I had not had one anywhere that was better. That is just my personal opinion. I go to New Orleans 2-3 times a year and always try to track down a new place to try a muffaletta and I still prefer Sonny's over any I've had there.

One of my issues is that I personally prefer hot muffalettas over cold muffalettas. A lot of the ones I've had in New Orleans are served cold, which traditionally I believe is the correct way to serve them. Just not my favorite.

Junior has the Muffaletta bread specially baked locally and delivered every morning (or at least he used to, been about 2 years since my last trip to Sonny's) and his Olive Salad is fantastic. All the rest of the ingredients are fairly standard Muffaletta fillings. Though he adds Swiss cheese with the Provolone along with Mortadella. Plus for an extra $1 you can get it grilled. Imagine a grilled cheese version of a Muffaletta. I'm sure the toasted & buttered exterior adds to my enjoyment. Honestly, that may very well be what puts it over the top for me. But again, just my personal opinion. That said, if you ever going to try it based on my recommendation, you definitely need to request a grilled Muffalleta.
MichaelJ
AG
Sorry Catch...misread your statement saying that you hadnt had one better anywhere...And i think i have had the grilled muff...and it was delicious.

and for the people that are citing Murphy's and Jason's on this list...you belong on the which is better for a high quality steak: saltgrass vs texas roadhouse thread...

A chain sammich place just cannot compete with quality...it just cannot...especially not ones like murphy's and jason's.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Took a bit longer than usual, but "that guy" showed up.

Thanks MichaelJ

And now he won't fckin leave
MichaelJ
AG
says the guy who couldnt offer input after making a weak strip club joke?
DustysLineup
AG
Well, I can certainly understand why you'd be a chain restaurant snob when you've had the unique privelidge of dining in far off, exotic New Orleans!

Look out folks, Anthony Bourdain's here and he looks pissed.
Ag_07
AG
I don't eat muffalettas so I'm just here for the chit show.

Which, judging by the last few posts, has just begun.
MichaelJ
AG
Im sorry...i missed where i claimed my dining prowess was impressive or far superior to anyone here...

i simply insinuated that the city where the sammich originated probably had a better version than the one being mentioned in galveston...

and then...that user went so far as to mention that he had particular tastes as to why he liked the one in galveston...

further...name one national chain restaurant that excels at something that local or "1 off" restaurants dont do better... there is a reason why there is chain snobbery.
jetch17
AG
Olives are fugging gross and don't belong on a sandwich.
MichaelJ
AG
so at first you hate...and now youre applauding my efforts?
MichaelJ
AG
disagree...

and the Muff Burger from hubcap in the heights...is amazing.
jetch17
AG
quote:

further...name one national chain restaurant that excels at something that local or "1 off" restaurants dont do better... there is a reason why there is chain snobbery.

Subway. Any place in New Orleans can't beat the freshness of the bread that every single subway location specializes in. They truly are artisans of the delicatessen
jetch17
AG
quote:
disagree...

and the Muff Burger from hubcap in the heights...is amazing.

I saw a muffuletta burger at Grub last night being advertised, and it looked like someone yakked all over it. It was olive salad.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.