Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone ever use SNAP to spay/neuter?

2,069 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GigEm2006
GigEm2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My vet quoted me $950 and snap lists it at around $100...is this because they're subsidized or because they're operating with rusty nails and duct tape?
Boats and Hose
AG
We did it with our lab and had no problems. I would recommend it.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My first job out of college was with them. The surgeons were top notch. The stuff they use is quality name brand stuff, all of it is either fresh out of the autoclave, or brand new, they have some monitoring equipment, and the staff was experienced. They are subsidized with donation money, and some corporate sponsorships and such. They do not do much pre surgical work. The surgeon takes a look at the pet, a real quick physical exam, and then hits them with the juice. If you pet is not in top shape, I would go somewhere else. If your pet is a perfectly healthy young dog/cat, chances are things will go fine. It is the unknown underlying things that can't be seen with a cursory physical that cost you the extra eight hundy.

It has been a long time since I worked there, so things might be different now.
jopatura
AG
Make sure SNAP is doing a full procedure and removing the reproductive organs, not just a basic vasectomy or tied tubes. Those type of procedures might work for you if all of your pets are fixed and they are inside pets. But there's a failure rate in those type of procedures, just like in humans.
aggie4christ22
Vasectomies and tubal ligations are not common at all in vet med. SNAP will be doing a routine spay/neuter. The difference is pre and post-op care. SNAP and other low cost clinics are more of an assembly line, so your pet typically will not be monitored in the post-op period (which unfortunately is when most perianesthetic deaths occur).

I do think $950 is a bit steep for a spay, unless you have a 220 pound Mastiff or something. Our clinic charges in the $250-450 range depending on size, pre-anesthetic bloodwork is around $75 to 130 depending on age (not required unless the dog is over 6 years). Prices will vary depending on your location.

One thing that depends on the clinic is the use of an IV catheter. I use that for all my spays so emergency assess is available, and so IV fluids can be given during the surgery. Most low-cost places are skipping these steps.

I am not saying they are bad, I volunteered for the local SPCA for 7-8 months to gain experience and the quality was more than adequate, but not what I would have wanted for my own pet. It serves its niche, to provide services at a lower cost for people who cannot afford it otherwise. (And obviously the SPCA is trying to get them adopted as fast as possible, which can't be done unless they've been fixed).
coolerguy12
AG
We used it when we rescued a dog and had no issues. Still have the video of my dog acting loopy afterwards.
MichaelJ
AG
I used SNAP for my dog's neuter and had no problems...

only problem now is that I get a stupid notice every year to get a pet license.
GigEm2006
AG
Thanks guys, good info. My pup is a male, 10 month old English bulldog. He's only released one of his man-bits so far I know that plays into the higher cost.

aggie4christ: want to share the ware bouts of your clinic?
AG4EVER98
I used them on my Rhodesian ridgeback a few years back and they did a fantastic job
New Hampshire Ag
AG
HalifaxAg
AG
Used them two years ago and no issues. 70-lb 2-yr old catahoula.
Ryan the Temp
AG
The issue I had with SNAP was the prolonged wait times - 4 to 6 months for an appointment. I went to Long Drive Animal Hospital the same week that I called.
MichaelJ
AG
My Appointment for SNAP was maybe a week out from when i walked in.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
My Appointment for SNAP was maybe a week out from when i walked in.
Must be the difference between spay and neuter
FTACO97
AG
We use Banfield at PetsMart and you can sign up for the puppy plan and pay $35 or $40 a month for the first year and that covers spay/neuter and all the puppy shots. Was a great deal for our golden.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Vasectomies and tubal ligations are not common at all in vet med. SNAP will be doing a routine spay/neuter. The difference is pre and post-op care. SNAP and other low cost clinics are more of an assembly line, so your pet typically will not be monitored in the post-op period (which unfortunately is when most perianesthetic deaths occur).

I do think $950 is a bit steep for a spay, unless you have a 220 pound Mastiff or something. Our clinic charges in the $250-450 range depending on size, pre-anesthetic bloodwork is around $75 to 130 depending on age (not required unless the dog is over 6 years). Prices will vary depending on your location.

One thing that depends on the clinic is the use of an IV catheter. I use that for all my spays so emergency assess is available, and so IV fluids can be given during the surgery. Most low-cost places are skipping these steps.

I am not saying they are bad, I volunteered for the local SPCA for 7-8 months to gain experience and the quality was more than adequate, but not what I would have wanted for my own pet. It serves its niche, to provide services at a lower cost for people who cannot afford it otherwise. (And obviously the SPCA is trying to get them adopted as fast as possible, which can't be done unless they've been fixed).
This. I know a lot of people who do rescues use them as a low cost way of getting animals fixed.

But we chose to go with our vet - it was more expensive (though not even close to $950).

For the difference, our vet also provides as part of the cost, presurgical bloodwork, IV catheter and fluids, pain meds (before surgery and to go home), antibiotic injection, and the spay or neuter.

For me, the added advantage of my (Aggie) vet included him knowing my dog, and being available to call 24-hours a day should something go wrong afterwards.
Forum Troll
AG
The reason your estimate was high is because of the undescended testicle and a breed with higher anesthetic risk.
Post removed:
by user
aggie4christ22
I agree your estimate is high because it is a bulldog which are notorious for breathing difficulties, and is a cryptorchid which is a whole 'nother ballgame (no pun intended).

I am at Brittmoore animal hospital which actually we do a ton of Bulldogs. Some places are not comfortable with the anesthesia of these guys so will price themselves out of doing it. But something like that for us even is going to run you closer to $5-600. A routine neuter on a non-brachycephalic breed will run about $250-300.

You are always welcome to call for a more exact estimate. We are at I-10 and the beltway. A lot of times these Bulldogs need their palate done as well.
adamsbq06
AG
My MIL used Brittmore for her two GSDs be fore she moved to Austin. She loved the vets there. I am in Cypress and we use Dr Hennessy at Cypress Fairhaven. Shop around and try to compare Apples to Apples. I used SNAP previously with my beagle with no issues but he was their typical case.
Jules_Winnfield
we used them with our two dogs.. i would recommend them.
GigEm2006
AG
I know everyone is on the edge of their seats for an update; the pooch is now sans testicles and seems to be doing great. Pain meds, cone, microchip, neuter with the hidden nugget--in and out for $150. Thanks for everyone's advice!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.