Houston
Sponsored by

Avoid the Shell station at Westheimer and Loop 610 - Credit Card Skimmers

7,397 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BBRex
PetroAg87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Within a few hours of purchasing gas at this Shell station last week, fraudulent purchases began to show up on my account. First charge was for $1.00 at this same gas station and makes it pretty obvious that this station is where my credit card info was stolen.

Stopped at the station the next morning and sure enough, the seal on the pump was missing making it possible for someone to gain access inside the pump without detection and install a skimmer. I immediately contacted the owners of the gas station (Timewise Stores) to let them know that fraud was most likely occurring on their pumps.

Now a full week later, and they never even gave me a call back, nor have they replaced the seals on the pumps.

Avoid this station like the plague. They don't appear to care about security or their customers.
jetch17
AG
That is quite literally known as one of the sh*ttiest stations in Tine.
Al Bula
AG
Did you call the cops as well as the owners? Credit card scammers are the worst.

I'm pretty sure my card # was stolen in early April by either Valu Cleaners on 18th in Timbergrove or Warehouse Bar & Chill on 11th.

cajunaggie08
AG
Were there any other charges or just that $1.00 charge. Almost all gas stations do a $1 temporary charge on credit cards just to see if the account is real and then the charge is credited back within 48 hours.
Texan76
I live close by (in Afton Oaks). All those crappy stations on 59 and also on 610 near the Galleria area not only are filthy, but their prices are ridiculous. Thank goodness for Costco.
The Wonderer
AG
Call the dept of weights and measures as breaking that seal is a state crime.
The Milkman
AG
Shell stations are always crap and kept in the worst condition of the major ones I feel like. I feel like Chevron is almost always in the best condition.
PetroAg87
AG
quote:
Were there any other charges or just that $1.00 charge. Almost all gas stations do a $1 temporary charge on credit cards just to see if the account is real and then the charge is credited back within 48 hours.
Yeah, there were a couple of $200+ charges at a couple of different Walgreen's down in Missouri City just a few hours later.

Interesting about the $1.00 charge though....

quote:
Did you call the cops as well as the owners?
No. The credit card is conducting an investigation and covered the costs. I'll file a police report if it helps but I'm kinda letting them take the lead. I'm just pissed that even after being notified, the station still didn't even replace the seal or try and stop it from happening again.
gougler08
AG
Yeah every time I purchase gas it will show up as a $1 charge for a day or so
Ag_07
AG
Who the eff doesn't avoid Westheimer and 610 already?
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
I know the stations have almost nothing to do with corporate, but it's surprising how ****ty the gas stations for the big integrated oil companies are in high visibility locations like the mentioned location or by the airport.
Aggielandma12
AG
quote:
Shell stations are always crap and kept in the worst condition of the major ones I feel like. I feel like Chevron is almost always in the best condition.

What about Bucces!?
sts7049
AG
quote:
of the majors, i feel like i see more exxon's in podunk towns or crap areas than anyone else
BillYeoman
quote:

More people have been killed there over the years than all casualties at Gettysburg.
Ag_07
AG
The brand of gas has absolutely ZERO to do with who runs the station.

Most are owned by companies who own multiple stations and even sell different brands. There's no correlation whatsoever.
Joan Wilder
AG
What's crazy is how many out of work dads on their way to job interviews with their kids just right there in the station wagon run out of gas at that exact spot and only need a few dollars for gas and food but no don't fill up their car just give him the money....
agmatt06
AG
Petro...can you PM some more details about what happened?

I'll get it into some of the right people's hands at Shell (technically it's Motiva).
jetch17
AG
quote:
quote:

More people have been killed there over the years than all casualties at Gettysburg.
PetroAg87
AG
quote:

I'll get it into some of the right people's hands at Shell (technically it's Motiva).
Agmatt06: Appreciate it but don't have PM ability.

This Shell station is officially "Timewise Store #265". Owned by a company name named Landmark industries.

Details: Bought gas there at about 5:30 PM on 5/11. By 9:00 that evening, received a fraud alert from the credit card company. Following the expected $40+ charge for gas was a $1.00 charge at the same station, a $218 charge at a Walgreen's in Missouri City, and a $209 charge at another Walgreen's (which was flagged and declined). Apparently the thief had made a counterfeit card with my info.

Credit card company told me that I could have been a victim of a credit card "skimmer" machine at the pump. So I stopped by the next day and discovered that pump's tamper seal was missing. I told the cashier but he didn't act too concerned and didn't appear to understand the issue. Kept saying that it was just a sticker and no one could get in without a key. Course without a sticker, there is no way to know that someone hasn't opened the pump up and installed a skimmer.

On Thursday morning, I saw that the sticker was still missing, so I sent a complaint to the customer feedback email address for Landmark Industries. No response. As of this Monday morning, the sticker still hadn't been replaced and still no response from Landmark.
Ag_07
AG
My advice...Move on.

You're spending a lot of time on something that is being reimbursed by your CC company.
exp
AG
quote:
My advice...Move on.

You're spending a lot of time on something that is being reimbursed by your CC company.

Not bad advice...but bad men win when good men do nothing. If he wants to fight for justice I wouldn't discourage him.

Digital scammers seem to get away with financial murder with almost no recourse. Hard to just let it go.
PetroAg87
AG
quote:
My advice...Move on.

Yeah I hear you. Cost me some inconvenience to cancel and get new cards, but it didn't cost me any money. Just bugs me to drive by that station and see people getting gas from that same pump and station, knowing that those people' are potential victims and that the station isn't doing anything to prevent it.

But I've done what I can do so I'll avoid this station going forward and hope that either the store or the police take the necessary action.
sts7049
AG
did you report the missing seal to the state agency? they're supposed to be pretty responsive about this kind of stuff.
TSW2012
AG
If you report to wheights and measures they will respond. Be sure to include information about when you notified the station and their lack of response. They should get their pee pee whacked pretty hard for selling gas this long w/o seal
PetroAg87
AG
Thanks sts7049 and TSW2012. The fact that they haven't tried to fix this so far is what really irritates me.
Bob Kelso
AG
quote:
quote:

Agmatt06: Appreciate it but don't have PM ability.

This Shell station is officially "Timewise Store #265". Owned by a company name named Landmark industries.

Details: Bought gas there at about 5:30 PM on 5/11. By 9:00 that evening, received a fraud alert from the credit card company. Following the expected $40+ charge for gas was a $1.00 charge at the same station, a $218 charge at a Walgreen's in Missouri City, and a $209 charge at another Walgreen's (which was flagged and declined). Apparently the thief had made a counterfeit card with my info.

Credit card company told me that I could have been a victim of a credit card "skimmer" machine at the pump. So I stopped by the next day and discovered that pump's tamper seal was missing. I told the cashier but he didn't act too concerned and didn't appear to understand the issue. Kept saying that it was just a sticker and no one could get in without a key. Course without a sticker, there is no way to know that someone hasn't opened the pump up and installed a skimmer.

On Thursday morning, I saw that the sticker was still missing, so I sent a complaint to the customer feedback email address for Landmark Industries. No response. As of this Monday morning, the sticker still hadn't been replaced and still no response from Landmark.
True Detective
agmatt06
AG
quote:
Thanks sts7049 and TSW2012. The fact that they haven't tried to fix this so far is what really irritates me.

Petro...can you email me your information: mattnxtc AT gmail.com?

They've already called me (left a voice mail), but I would like to give them your information so you can talk directly to them

ClickClack
AG
Texags getting work done
PetroAg87
AG
quote:
quote:

Petro...can you email me your information: mattnxtc AT gmail.com?

They've already called me (left a voice mail), but I would like to give them your information so you can talk directly to them

Done. Appreciate the contact Matt and assistance!
PetroAg87
AG
Wow. Matt's taking care of business! Has contacted (and placed me in contact with) all the key people who are now promising to fix the situation Immediately!

Yet again, Texags getting things done!

Edit: just drove by on the way home and sure enough, all new tamper stickers on the pump!
agmatt06
AG
Glad the stickers were taken care of. From the pictures you sent, it was pretty unacceptable.

They checked for skimmers and didn't see anything. Not really surprising though, since I'm sure if it was there, the people came and got it to avoid detection.

It can be frustrating because as someone else said, Shell (and the other majors) don't actually own the stations anymore and so we don't have a lot of control over their appearance or maintenance.

Anyways, there's a lot more I could rant on, but I'm glad we were able to get this issue fixed.
AgCPA95
AG
Most Timewise stores around Houston (landmark industries) are pretty legit so this kind of surprises me that they have been so crappy in their lack of response.
1208HawkTree
AG
Contact the walgreens where the purchases were made. They can search the transaction log by your CC# and go back to the video recording that's at every register.
BBRex
AG
quote:
Did you call the cops as well as the owners? Credit card scammers are the worst.

I'm pretty sure my card # was stolen in early April by either Valu Cleaners on 18th in Timbergrove or Warehouse Bar & Chill on 11th.

I go to Warehouse Bar & Chill every now and then, and I've never had a problem. But I guess you never know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.