Houston
Sponsored by

Kingwood commute

5,922 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by South Platte
South Platte
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the story?
Waltonloads08
AG
El Paso
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
15 mins or so. 20 tops if traffic is heavy [/typicalposterfromsuburbs]
jja79
AG
Instead of buying a cookie cutter suburban box why not just buy one of those completely unique 3 story ITL places?
South Platte
quote:
Instead of buying a cookie cutter suburban box why not just buy one of those completely unique 3 story ITL places?
Simply don't have enough jack to get that done. And certainly can't afford the private school tuition that my toddlers would require ITL.
DRE06
AG
If your expected commute is so bad that they you are contemplating leaving the house and showering at work, you should probably reconsider.
drumboy
AG
quote:

Townhouses/patio homes that look different than the ones next to them would be horrible.
chiken
AG
Leaving the house at 6, you will stlill run into traffic from Aldine mail rd through Laura koppe. Then again at I-10/59 interchange to downtown. Expect a commute of about 35-40 minutes depending on weather. Friday mornings always have light traffic.
BMX Bandit
There is public school for toddlers?
OXDL45
AG
I don't do it often but leaving that early you should be good. Also taking the bus is not all that bad. If you don't have Google Maps downloaded as an app to your phone download it and map out the drive time from your prospective homes to work. Do it at the actual times you think you will be leaving each day for a week or two and average out the times. It will give you an idea of what you will be looking at.

Good luck, Kingwood IMO is a great place to live.
94chem
I wouldn't buy in the back without looking at Trailwood or Bear Branch. Hunter's Ridge, Elm Grove, and Woodland Hills also provide better access to the highway, and likely more bang for your buck. North Park is being widened. We're all just going to suffer until it's done, but hopefully it will be a major improvement. Kingwood was an awful commute, just like The Woodlands, until 59 was widened about 13 years ago. Now Kingwood is the best commute in town...EXCEPT for getting out of Kingwood. Also, getting back into those eastern villages during evening rush hour is a real pain. You'll regret every minute you spend stuck on Kingwood Drive as you drive by 5 or 6 villages on your way.
aTm2004
AG
I live in Oakhurst, but used to live in the apartments in Town Center back in my single days. The commute from the back would be about 10-20 minutes depending on what time you left the house and how many lights you catch. I would not suggest taking LHP to 1960 or Beltway 8. 7 or so years ago...sure, but they've built so many neighborhoods between 1960 and 8 that traffic is horrible in the mornings. My dad lives in Atascocita and has to take LHP to 8 due to him working off of 90, and he's said it's only getting worse. He's thought about taking 1960 to Huffman and cutting across due to the traffic.

If you're working in downtown, why not take the bus? There's a park & ride off of W Lake Houston in between Northpark and Kingwood Dr that you could take. I believe there's a Kingwood express as well in the afternoons. Sit back, relax, and let somebody else do the driving. Yeah, you pay $4.50 or so to ride it, but you'll be spending less in gas and maintenance costs.

I leave the house each morning at 5:50 and 59 isn't too bad on my way in. The only traffic I really hit is a bit of a slow down at the curve around Little York (go from driving 75ish to about 50), or if there's a random accident, which is usually only a couple of minutes until you pass it. After Little York, it's posted speeds until I-10, where you'll see a little back up, but not too bad at that time of the morning.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
You're talking about the ones with the yards on the roof, right?
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:
You're talking about the ones with the yards on the roof, right?
Seriously thinking about planting veggies on my shed roof becuase it's the only part of my yard that gets full sunlight most of the day.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
If I was to buy in KW right now, Bear Branch and Hunters Ridge would be where I would look then remodel.

I havent been in KW lately, where is NorthPark being widened at?
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
is it faster to take Lake Houston to Atascocita Rd., or even down to the Beltway then come in on 90 and I-10?
Lake Houston Pkwy is full. Move to San Antonio..

Thank You,

Summerwood.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
I havent been in KW lately, where is NorthPark being widened at?
It's not at the moment.

There is an overall transportation study in the comment phase that is suggesting that North Park be expanded to 3 lanes in each direction from 59 to Woodland Hills.

Same proposal for KW Drive.

Other things that were part of the proposal or potential options:

- More/expanded turn lanes at intersections
- Expand Woodland Hills all the way through to Hamblen
- Widen Hamblen to Woodland Hills
- Grade separation of KW Drive OVER the railroad tracks
- Connector ramps for KW Drive/North Park at 59
Texas A&M
Isn't the first part of NorthPark in Montgomery county? If so, good luck. With this latest bond fiasco it may take a while for some of these major projects.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I've only read the linked report and commentary from Kingwood.com but I have also heard that financing via a bond proposal will make the Montgomery Co. part of all of that difficult to achieve.
Texas A&M
quote:
Do you mean like the cookie cutter suburban boxes that are in Gleannloch Farms? (and yes we live in suburban box -
Texas A&M
quote:
I've only read the linked report and commentary from Kingwood.com but I have also heard that financing via a bond proposal will make the Montgomery Co. part of all of that difficult to achieve.
I'm in MC, so the major project that would have helped our area (Rayford Rd work) is only a pipe dream at this point.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
reading the study, it looks like the Montgomery county projects are Sorters Rd, Ford Rd, Woodland Hills Dr and is for 2019 and 2022

CoH is paying for KW Drive and TXDOT is paying for North Park from 494 to Woodland Hills
coolerguy12
AG
A coworker lives in the back of Kingwood and I live in Fall Creek. His commute is 25-30 minutes longer than mine on a good day. He takes Kingwood dr to 59 which takes forever. If it doesn't have to be Kingwood I would seriously consider Fall Creek. Also look at taking the bus from either location.
DX2011
AG
As a couple of people mentioned, if you're in the back and commuting to downtown, you may want to consider the Park and Ride. I believe it goes directly into downtown. Speaking for about 5 years ago, as long as you leave before 6:45 you really don't get into that much coming out on KW Drive. That could have changed dramatically though.
Ezra Brooks
AG
If you are East of WLHP on Kingwood Dr., 6:45 am will have you dealing with the KWHS traffic....it slows things down quite a bit.

I live all the way back in Kings Point and as a rule of thumb, if you travel @ the speed limit, it is approx. 15 minutes to 59.
Diggity
AG
quote:
A coworker lives in the back of Kingwood and I live in Fall Creek. His commute is 25-30 minutes longer than mine on a good day. He takes Kingwood dr to 59 which takes forever. If it doesn't have to be Kingwood I would seriously consider Fall Creek. Also look at taking the bus from either location.
Fall Creek is amazing from a commute standpoint...I just wish they would build some more restaurants and such over there. That should come eventually.
coolerguy12
AG
We have a Los Cucos and an Egg and I. It's getting pretty big time over there.
Diggity
AG
Hey. It's something.
agmatt06
AG
quote:
quote:
Fall Creek is amazing from a commute standpoint...I just wish they would build some more restaurants and such over there. That should come eventually.

It would go a long way if they would just build a grocery store there....
Finn Maccumhail
AG
You mean the Wal Mart overrun with savages from the trailer park and section 8 housing to the north doesn't count?

Most people I know in Fall Creek go to the HEB in Summerwood.
redag06
Don't think Fall Creek will get a grocery store, as there is a Kroger being built in the future near Summerwood.
South Platte
I know Fall Creek is nice but I hear that the schools are awful. Summer Creek HS is apparently an MMA training ground.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I know Fall Creek is nice but I hear that the schools are awful. Summer Creek HS is apparently an MMA training ground.

From what I understand Summer Creek isn't remotely as bad as some claim. If your kid is in AP classes they're fine. Right now the ghetto trailer park, section 8 apartments, and good of Audubon Park are all being sent to Summer Creek instead of the much closer Humble High.

It's a hot-button issue right now as they're trying to rezone but some of the SJWs have been raising hell against it.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:
It's starting to come now. We're seeing some new restaurants and Fidelis is developing a tract over by the SCHS that will include, among other things, a Kroger Marketplace. FMC will be moving approximately 1,800 of its 3,700 Houston employees to their new campus in 2016, and with 4 new housing developments going up on WLH Pky, we should start seeing the rooftops to justify more retail and food development. Of course, that will significantly increase traffic too.

You might also consider The Groves or The Bridges at Lake Houston
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:

From what I understand Summer Creek isn't remotely as bad as some claim. If your kid is in AP classes they're fine. Right now the ghetto trailer park, section 8 apartments, and good of Audubon Park are all being sent to Summer Creek instead of the much closer Humble High.

It's a hot-button issue right now as they're trying to rezone but some of the SJWs have been raising hell against it.
Summer Creek isn't remotely as bad as people claim. I know several kids who go there, and my oldest will be there in 3 years.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.