Houston
Sponsored by

I think I'm becoming jaded about a lot of restaurants

6,074 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Furlock Bones
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe I'm spoiled with all the places in Houston but after Commonwealth last week and Table on Post Oak last night I'm starting to feel like there are way too many places following the same sort of formula and not getting creative. I really hope Houston won't fall back into a style over substance mentality when it comes to restaurants.

Both dinners were good, don't get me wrong. But there was nothing inventive or interesting on the menu really. The food was well prepared, properly seasoned, and tasted good but there was no daring or challenging you there.

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of great restaurants in this town but it's starting to feel like a lot of them are just following a formula without much deviation or individual creativity and to varying degrees of success.

In other words, a lot of these places are really just blending into each other and not standing out. And the places like Underbelly, Uchi, Oxheart, Pass & Provision, etc are in no danger of falling from the upper echelon any time soon.
Cromagnum
AG
Go to restaurant.
Order food you want.
Food is good.

What's the problem? Why does a restaurant have to have some kind of hipster draw to it if the quality of the food is good and people eat there?
DiskoTroop
Go to woman
Woman makes sandwich
Sandwich is good

What's the problem?

The problem is I'm tired of effin' PB&J and I'd like a cotton pickin' meatball sub every now and then.
Al Bula
AG
To quote the immortal acronym of Jetch:

"WGAS"
David Carr
Finn's refined pallet is looking for freeze dried guano shaved over a bed Peruvian Boy pubic hair with a sprinkle of unicorn dust finished with the tears of virgin Vietnamese women.
Panama Red
AG
Its the "iron chefization" of America.

If the food isn't cooked in liquid nitrogen, made from baby lamb testes, sprinkled with cumquat juice, or seasoned with salt from the Indian Ocean, its not "inventive" and deemed sub-par for some reason.

I'm glad to see more of the newer restaurants going away from the "formula" of "lets see how we can make food complicated and hip."
Furlock Bones
AG
So inventing new ways of cooking is hipster now?

I suggest you go eat English food then. They stick to the same ****ty formula. Salt plus malt vinegar. Everything else is "hipster" I guess.
DiskoTroop
Been watching Mind of a Chef on Netflix... Chef Sean Brock is proof that you don't have to do LN2 to do something new.
FarmerJohn
AG
Um, these are businesses. You can't be so different that you alienate most of the public, but you have to have something that stands out a bit and give people a reason to go to your restaurant. Feast got that last bit right but the last time I went, one person at the table said, "There isn't anything on the menu where I know I'll like everything I'm getting." Basically, they didn't have a roast chicken and vegetables dish. And now there is no more Feast.

I do like that new places largely come out with an improved quality over 10-15 years ago. About that time the idea of fine dining in Houston was charge a ton for a steak and order everything a la carte. I think this is a change for the better. There is a new formula. Pick a single word related to food. Better if it is a verb or adjective. (Nouns are boring.) Throw in a few buzz words. Make sure some dishes have weird grain used in Eastern Europe. Make sure kale is involved. Throw in a few buzzwords and there we go.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Go to restaurant.
Order food you want.
Food is good.

What's the problem? Why does a restaurant have to have some kind of hipster draw to it if the quality of the food is good and people eat there?
I'm not talking about hipster draw.

It's more that everywhere seems to be doing the same thing. And contrary to what Happy Feet McInterception said, I'm not looking for molecular gastronomy. Not a fan of that.

In fact, I'd argue it's the over-hipster'ization of places.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
I'll go ahead and say it: Chili's is actually pretty damn good.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I do like that new places largely come out with an improved quality over 10-15 years ago.

I tend to agree with most of your post. I think the choices for a "good" meal at a reasonable price have greatly increased in recent years. The restaurant scene in Houston is so competitive that we can occasionally be disappointed when a place we like closes, but there are always new options to choose from.
MichaelJ
AG
you sir need to sit in the corner and think about what you have said...
MichaelJ
AG
Ill go out there and say it...
the Heights needs a Chinese Buffet...
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Maybe I'm spoiled with all the places in Houston but after Commonwealth last week and Table on Post Oak last night I'm starting to feel like there are way too many places following the same sort of formula and not getting creative. I really hope Houston won't fall back into a style over substance mentality when it comes to restaurants.

Both dinners were good, don't get me wrong. But there was nothing inventive or interesting on the menu really. The food was well prepared, properly seasoned, and tasted good but there was no daring or challenging you there.

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of great restaurants in this town but it's starting to feel like a lot of them are just following a formula without much deviation or individual creativity and to varying degrees of success.

In other words, a lot of these places are really just blending into each other and not standing out. And the places like Underbelly, Uchi, Oxheart, Pass & Provision, etc are in no danger of falling from the upper echelon any time soon.
just went to each homepage, both look to be traditional american using french technique. so yeah, they would be very similar. i am not sure why this revelation is shocking.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
The food was well prepared, properly seasoned, and tasted good but there was no daring or challenging you there.

I've never wanted to be challenged by my meal
Diggity
AG
Every course should be a cipher leading to the next dish. Otherwise, what's the point? I have hot pockets in the ice box.
Zobel
AG
Will that hot pocket burn my mouth?
MichaelJ
AG
Diarrhea pocket
Jaydoug
AG
quote:

There are some great food to be had at restaurants that aren't 3 months old with hydroponic gardens hanging from the roof in barbed wire baskets or food served in Thundercats lunch pails by neck bearded waiters with dark rimmed glasses, chuck Taylors and wallet chains

One of my favorites is Charivari. It's modern German /East European. It's only open during lunch and during dinner, not at 3:30. It's stuck in 1994 decor won't make you fill hip, so feel free to wear your RC Slocum diagonal Aggies sideline polo in there. The temp in the restaurant is 74, not 55. It will take you 1 1/2 hrs to get in and out. You'll be surrounded by grandparents and Europeans. You'll leave some dollars behind.

But, it is always surprisingly great food, inventive, will stretch your pallet. We always leave and discuss our meal for a few days afterward. Like the mushroom cappuccino which was a mushroom soup with a froth served and drank out of a tall cuppucino glass. And the chef has always come out an chatted with us about the meal.

TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Will that hot pocket burn my mouth?

It will destroy your mouth.
AustinCountyAg
I like restraunts that serve chicken fried steak and king ranch chicken. Also a good hamburger steak.

I've yet to find a decent place in houston that dose those things well.

How about they hold off on the smoked duck neck with liquid nitrogen vegetables and learn to cook normal food first
BMX Bandit
BRC has good chicken fried steak.

AustinCountyAg
What is BRC?
BMX Bandit
A restaurant. That serves good chicken fried steak.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
quote:
The food was well prepared, properly seasoned, and tasted good but there was no daring or challenging you there.
I've never wanted to be challenged by my meal
i think this is what Finn meant about being challenged by food.

Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Idk if they have KRC but it sounds like you are looking for a place like Pappy's.
AustinCountyAg
I've had pappys and was not blown away. It was decent. Nothing to rave about. It is no country inn Somerville location from yrs past
schmendeler
AG
Palate
schmellba99
AG
quote:
BRC has good chicken fried steak.

Damned skippy they do. Outstanding chicken and biscuits as well.
MichaelJ
AG
Big red cock
aTm2004
AG
It's a challenge you want? Eat at Golden Corral and don't **** on yourself before you get home.
agnerd
AG
OP needs to start patronizing those Mexican restaurants that the illegals go to that serve all kinds of weird ****. I don't know what half the meats are that they use or which animal part it comes from. Plenty of opportunities and he and the misses will be in and out for under $10. But it sounds like OP may have an issue with spending less than $100 on a meal, so this may not be an option...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
OP needs to start patronizing those Mexican restaurants that the illegals go to that serve all kinds of weird ****. I don't know what half the meats are that they use or which animal part it comes from. Plenty of opportunities and he and the misses will be in and out for under $10. But it sounds like OP may have an issue with spending less than $100 on a meal, so this may not be an option...
Oh, I hit those joints regularly.

But thanks for playing.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
It's a challenge you want? Eat at Pachos and don't **** on yourself before you get home.
fify
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.