Houston
Sponsored by

Looking for a church recommendation

6,531 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by combat wombat™
281TexAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted this on the religion board, too. I am interested in joining a church. I consider myself a protestant. I am a single guy in my 20's, no kids. I live near Washington Avenue inside the loop. I know there are a lot of churches around here, especially in the Heights, but I don't know much about them.

When I was a kid, I grew up in a protestant family, but we never went to church. I went to a Presbyterian church in high school because one of my friends' dad was the pastor. I liked the experience because it was a traditional service but still a relaxed environment. In college I went to a lot of services designed for college students, and I felt like it was a little too "hip" for church. Nothing wrong with that kind of thing, just not what I'm really looking for. I am not opposed to exploring other denominations like Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans, etc. I am just looking for a good place to worship where I can hopefully meet some people my age at the same time.
drumboy
AG
I go to First Baptist right outside the loop but I'm not too involved. I do know a girl in the young singles group and she really enjoys it.

Also, Pastor is an Ag.
SnowboardAg
AG
I second Houstons First. Greg Matte is excellent. Don't know about singles group but I think the overall worship is great!
eeaggie11
AG
I have always joked that First Baptist's singles ministery is a free dating service. Great church though. Gregg Matte is an Ag and original Breakaway preacher.
swimmerbabe11
My church has a very active young adults program. It is a very traditional Lutheran church. The pastors are excellent. We would love to have you! We have young adults Bible Study on tuesday nights at seven if you'd like to check that out first. On the 4th Sunday of every month we all go to lunch after the late service, usually around 15-20 of us.

Memorial Lutheran Church on Westheimer Rd.
digging tunnels
AG
If you're interested in a non-denominational church, try out riverpointe west end. It's a branch from the original riverpointe church in Richmond where I went to ten years ago. They recently opened up a campus in March at St Thomas high school. Very relaxed environment with great music but more importantly, great services and pastor I'm really glad they opened up another campus within the city
AMW2010
AG
I go to Community of Faith just out side the loop.... The 99 loop lol it's a great church if you are willing to drive. Sadly they don't have a very good young/singles professionals group... Everything else is pretty great. I'm a staff photographer there
BarryProfit
Another vote for First Baptist, the 9ish service is more traditional and the 11am more contemporary.
jetch17
AG
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:

Gayass 3-button suits.
ConroeTimeshare
Christ the King Presbyterian would be a good fit. Big enough to have a large contingent of young singles, but small enough to still feel manageable. Service is more traditional but certainly not boring. Great preaching.
No Handlebars
Which has the slootiest singles group?

I'm glad we're getting down to the real reasons for attending church on the tine board and not messing around with the tenets of each denomination.
spadilly
S
First Baptist has been great for us.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
St. James. It's a little north, but quality. Non denominational and very accepting of most.
94chem
Grace Bible Church. Part of the Evangelical Free Church. Baptist in practice (or similar), Presbyterian in theology (or similar). West Brazelton - good pastor, and they really need people from ITL.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
The Church
DavidAg02
Memorial Drive Presbyterian.

The singles director is a close personal friend. I'd be happy to give her your contact info.
Velvet Jones
AG
quote:
The Church

Thank you.

We used to have standards around here people.
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:
Grace Bible Church. Part of the Evangelical Free Church. Baptist in practice (or similar), Presbyterian in theology (or similar). West Brazelton - good pastor, and they really need people from ITL.
Curious to why you say that. Between our Heights location and Montrose plant, I think we have ITL covered.

We are EFCA in structure, but reformed in theology.
94chem
You have the areas covered geographically, but West was having trouble getting people from those areas to attend. This was several years ago. The church was bursting at the seams, but most of the families were coming from OTL. Maybe things have changed.
Aggie1205
AG
St Lukes UMC on Westheimer. Very strong Young Adult program.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
You have the areas covered geographically, but West was having trouble getting people from those areas to attend.
You mean Mexicans.
94chem
quote:
You mean Mexicans.

Aye, que' horror!
T Durden
AG
quote:
The Church

Alazay!
BBRex
AG
I'll second Memorial Lutheran. I'm not a regular, but it was our go-to church when we were in the area. Seems to have an age-diverse congregation (the school means lots of young families go), and it has a traditional service.
randy828
AG
quote:
St. James. It's a little north, but quality. Non denominational and very accepting of most

talmbout! I shout "Good Lord", every time I attend.
bigjag19
AG
I hear they really like to support single mother groups.
Bismarck
AG
You might consider checking out South Main Baptist Church. It's a beautiful old building and has a great young adults group. All of its services are traditional and it is associated with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship rather than the Southern Baptist Convention. This means that it isn't as conservative theologically as a SBC church. Christians from other denominations are welcome to join without a second baptism and women play an equal role in church leadership (including clergy).

Good luck with your search. The important thing is to find a community you feel a part of.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
The important thing is to find a community you feel a part of.

Personally, I really disagree with this.

In all honesty, I would start by looking at the different doctrines and what they believe..or actually visiting the church's and speaking with their pastors about what their church preaches. If you spoke with one of my pastors, I'm sure that even if you didn't fit in with our church they could point you in the correct direction denomination-wise.
Bismarck
AG
Well, I wouldn't join a church community if I didn't agree with their theology. What would be the point exactly?
TheWoodsAg
AG
Have been going to Grace for two years and love the community. The congregation is a younger demographic and you'll have a lot of opportunities to engage and make new friends. I believe in the leadership and the growth of the church since I've been going indicates a lot of other people do too. Hope you'll come worship with us.

http://www.gbchouston.org
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG

I work with young professionals in Houston through a christian non-profit. We have a great group of people in their 20's who are excited about serving Jesus and having fun. Happy to tell you about it, but from working with young professionals my 3 strong recommendations would be First Presbyterian, Grace Bible, and then First Baptist just behind. Beyond that, Ecclesia and Second Baptist would be my next two. Some of the others that are mentioned may be really good, but I do not know people involved.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

Gayass 3-button suits.
Even worse than the wearer is about 5'4.
coolerguy12
AG
quote:
Have been going to Grace for two years and love the community. The congregation is a younger demographic and you'll have a lot of opportunities to engage and make new friends. I believe in the leadership and the growth of the church since I've been going indicates a lot of other people do too. Hope you'll come worship with us.

http://www.gbchouston.org

2nd this. Tons of young professionals and great leadership. Seems like half the people there went to A&M
f2foxes2001
AG
Ditto Memorial Lutheran. When I lived in Houston from '01 to '08, that was my parish. Pastor Murray is a wonderful pastor and the parish was a great spiritual home. Very diverse and a great number of young people and families. If I ever get back to H-tine, I will move my membership back to MLC. It's values-driven with a message centered around Christ, His death on the Cross and His Resurrection, which leads to our ever-lasting life under Christ.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.