Houston
Sponsored by

Roegels Barbecue

7,046 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BWD06
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anyone been? Alison cook likes it. her barbecue recommendations are usually pretty decent. she loves corkscrew, which I agree with.

Roegels
JYDog90
AG
I saw this as well and was wondering about it. Just skimmed the article but didn't she say he learned all his skills from Camp Brisket?
BBRex
AG
She said they were part of a Dallas chain that I've never heard of, but after a trip to Camp Brisket, he decided to go it alone with a different menu.
schmendeler
AG
they are going to be at the barbecue festival this weekend, which I am attending, so i'll try to hit them up and report back.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
That's about 3 minutes from my office. And I'm meeting a buddy for lunch tomorrow. We were going elsewhere but I'm suggesting this place now.

Will report back.
BSD
AG
Russell is a good guy and fun to talk to. He's been around for a while under Bakers Ribs and we've had him cater up at work for years. I was never a huge fan of the Bakers restaurant but it was always better than Goode Company in my eyes (those are the only two near my house/work).

Recently he, like most pitmasters, took a look at what was going on in Austin and decided to step up his game or lose out to competitors. I think he realized that he couldn't do this under the Bakers franchise so he bought himself out and re-opened under Roegels last year. The timing was around a visit to BBQ Summer Camp at A&M but I dont know if he'll attribute everything to that camp. Like I said, he's a good guy so if you ever have any questions, just ask him.
AgCPA95
AG
I get my car washed all the time right behind the old Bakers. I tried them a few times while car was being washed but I haven't been there in over a year as it just wasn't that good IMO.

Will have to hit them up again.
schmendeler
AG
just glad that Houston has finally moved past goode co and luling as the only well known options.
chico
AG
will need to try Roegels.
Really love the home-made sausage at Powell's BBQ (corner Scott & Clover); it's a coarse grind, and addictive.
Tried Jackson St the other day, collaboration with Caswell & Gatlin. Solid, but not earth-shattering.
Mr_mo8268
AG
If it is the place I am thinking of, it is great. It is where the old Baker's Ribs was on Voss between San Felipe and Westheimer. Still has the pig on the sign actually. Went in a few Sundays ago, it was well priced and has good sauce.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Just had lunch there.

The brisket is excellent. Moist and not at all dried out. Good smokiness. Classic salt & pepper rub. Lots of pepper. I dig that.

Also had the pulled pork. Very legit.

My buddy had the smoked turkey and jalapeno sausage. Both were very good.

Sauce is served warm- they give you a squeeze bottle with your order. It's rather thin but has a nice peppery quality.

I had the green beans and marinated tomatoes as sides. Nothing special. I'll try the potato salad and beans next time. The beans looked really good.

We got there at 11:30 and there was almost no line. By 11:45 it was almost out the door.

If you don't like a lot of pepper this is not the BBQ for you but I really liked it. Definitely a top-notch brisket place. Will go back.
schmendeler
AG
sounds good! hopefully their presence at the bbq festival is solid as well.
Harry Stone
AG
Been going for years. Always liked it. They smoke with pecan and oak. Russell is a good guy. He decently went down to Franklins and some others in the hill country to get some info about their cooking.
chico
AG
went yesterday. The brisket was truly very, very good. As mentioned, a bit peppery in a good way; the texture & flavor were outstanding. Tried the pork belly also & enjoyable but is a fatty piece of meat.
BBRex
AG
I went last Friday and had the brisket and pork ribs. The brisket was great, and the ribs were good, but I wish I had just gotten brisket.

They do a weekend beef rib special that starts on Fridays and is $18.99/lb. The ribs are Fred Flinstone-sized. The answer to the question "How much for just one rib" for the guy in front of me who ordered one was about $35, although there were some smaller, cheaper ribs.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I went last Friday and had the brisket and pork ribs. The brisket was great, and the ribs were good, but I wish I had just gotten brisket.

They do a weekend beef rib special that starts on Fridays and is $18.99/lb. The ribs are Fred Flinstone-sized. The answer to the question "How much for just one rib" for the guy in front of me who ordered one was about $35, although there were some smaller, cheaper ribs.
Blue star
aggiedrew08
AG
Went there on Monday, it was pretty good, worth the money.
Furlock Bones
AG
i hit it today. brisket was damned good. will return.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
quote:
quote:

Blue star
Please tell me he paid for it with a hundred.
BBRex
AG
Actually, he might have. He paid cash, one bill, and got change. And he had a roll of cash with him. He was middle-aged white guy, though, and obviously a regular.
jbanda
AG
Confirmed. The brisket is outstanding. Best I've had in Houston. Pudding needs work though.
Aggielandma12
AG
Good brisket. Will return
RustyBV
AG
Beef rib is awesome.
Farmer1906
AG
As good as corkscrew?
jbanda
AG
I've never been to corkscrew. Gotta check it out. I'd rate Roegels 1 notch below the outfits in Lockhart, which is saying something.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
I've never been to corkscrew. Gotta check it out. I'd rate Roegels 1 notch below the outfits in Lockhart, which is saying something.
Yes, you are saying it is below average.
bkag9824
AG
Used to frequent when I worked in the area 4 years or so ago. Was a big fan of his pulled pork & spicy bbq sauce. Will have to find an excuse to visit again.

Coworker lives in the neighborhood across the street & said the food is better than when he franchised with Bakers.
JYDog90
AG
quote:
Beef rib is awesome.
i don't see beef ribs on the website menu. they have those every day?
JYDog90
AG
quote:
As good as corkscrew?
Speaking of Corkscrew...

They're moving to a permanent location in Old Town Spring. While not quite as convenient, it will be easier to get served maybe.

schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:
As good as corkscrew?
Speaking of Corkscrew...

They're moving to a permanent location in Old Town Spring. While not quite as convenient, it will be easier to get served maybe.

hot damn! even closer to me.
RustyBV
AG
Beef ribs are Friday and Saturday only until they run out, you can call ahead and reserve one, byob also.
chico
AG
Roegels must have high standards. I went on Monday and they weren't selling any brisket. They said the smoker got a little too hot, causing the brisket to finish sub-par quality. Thus they made the decision that if it's not good enough for them, then they won't sell it. They were selling other items (I got the pulled pork sandwich).
Good for them. I like that attitude.
jja79
AG

Ate at Corkscrew last Wednesday with 2 Texagers. Was awesome.

Looking forward to the new location.
schmendeler
AG
Yeah everything news related has been excellent. The sides are also very good.
jel_2002
AG
I went to Roegels today. Brisket is good, sauce is good, sausage is good, sides were good. I was not a fan of the baby backs. Maybe I just prefer spare ribs. Overall good food.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.