Houston
Sponsored by

BREAKING NEWS: Anti-Equal Rights Ordinance Petition Loses in Court

12,482 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ryan the Temp
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Opposition petition to repeal the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance was just ruled invalid.

16684 valid signatures, short of the 17249 required.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/262204052/HERO-Judgement
quote:
The Court therefore finds as a matter of fact and as a matter of law that the Referendum Petition is not valid or enforceable in all respects.

anaggieshusband
Have you heard anything about the road repairs? Or, maybe the water line repairs?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Have you heard anything about the road repairs? Or, maybe the water line repairs?
You should probably be a little more specific, but you can send your request to pwedirector@houstontx.gov. If you want a clear response, please provide the specific project number or location of the project, including address numbers, where available.
Ryan the Temp
AG
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Public-works-makes-a-dent-in-city-s-pothole-6200141.php?cmpid=gsa-chron-result
quote:
the city has reduced open work requests by about 1,000 despite a steep increase in calls for repairs
Al Bula
AG
i think it is always OK to discriminate against stupid people.
DustysLineup
AG
Look out lady's room, here I come!
BMX Bandit
Gay cakes for everyone!!
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Look out lady's room, here I come!
Go for it!
Ragoo
AG
WhAt is the deal?
Furlock Bones
AG
Basically the .gov has forced public accommodation laws on the people. It was never put to a vote. **** mayor porker.

Ragoo
AG
Gender neutral bathrooms?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Basically the .gov has forced public accommodation laws on the people. It was never put to a vote. **** mayor porker.

Well if a bunch of petition circulators hadn't forged thousands of signatures, it would have gone to a vote. You can thank those bad actors (who are all listed in the jury verdict) for the petition coming up short.
03_Aggie
quote:
quote:

Well if a bunch of petition circulators hadn't forged thousands of signatures, it would have gone to a vote. You can thank those bad actors (who are all listed in the jury verdict) for the petition coming up short.

Is this the petition you took two weeks vacation in order to work round the clock to invalidate signatures?

Is this the one where full pages of signatures were considered invalid if a single signature on the page was forged? Even if all of the others on the page were actually valid?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Is this the petition you took two weeks vacation in order to work round the clock to invalidate signatures?

Is this the one where full pages of signatures were considered invalid if a single signature on the page was forged? Even if all of the others on the page were actually valid?
Now you're just making **** up.
Ragoo
AG
Why must there be a petition to determine if the people should vote? I thought that was the purpose of a constitution and free country.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Why must there be a petition to determine if the people should vote? I thought that was the purpose of a constitution and free country.
There is a legal process in place to call an election. That process has existed in Houston for almost 102 years, and requires a petition that conforms with city and State laws.

Citizens have a right to vote in lawfully held elections. Citizens do not have a right to call an election at-will. The US Constitution does not say the government must call an election for anything any citizen thinks should be voted on at any time. The petitioners failed to comply with the legal process, largely as a result of numerous paid circulators forging thousands of signatures and signing false affidavits as to the authenticity of the signatures.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Don't worry, they will be back with a legit petition soon enough.
KW02
AG

Parker is like Obama thinking everything she did was good.

quote:
"I couldn't achieve every goal; I couldn't solve every problem," said Parker, who is term-limited after six years. "But whether it's our infrastructure, our public safety, our quality of life, our economy or our finances, there's not a single problem that has come before me that isn't better now than it was five years ago because we worked on it."

Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Too late. The deadline was last July.
aTm2004
AG
Since Thunder Thighs pushed this through, could a future mayor wipe his ass with it and toss it out?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Since Thunder Thighs pushed this through, could a future mayor wipe his ass with it and toss it out?
Repeal or amendment of the ordinance would require a vote of City Council. Chances of it happening are exceedingly low.
03_Aggie
quote:
quote:

Now you're just making **** up.

They were semi serious questions. I seem to recall a thread regarding a petition and forged signatures and I was curious if this was the same one.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
Repeal or amendment of the ordinance would require a vote of City Council. Chances of it happening are exceedingly low.

Lower than cramming this POS down the throats of the citizens without a vote?
Ryan the Temp
AG
The premises of both questions are false.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lower than cramming this POS down the throats of the citizens without a vote?
The citizens of Houston got their vote when they elected her and 16 members of City Council as their representative government. She even said publicly during the campaign that she was going to introduce such a law. The citizens of Houston still saw fit to re-elect her.
Ragoo
AG
So what is the law exactly?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
So what is the law exactly?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/235424177/Houston-Equal-Rights-Ordinance
Ragoo
AG
I don't wish to click and read. I would like someone to summarize.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I don't wish to click and read. I would like someone to summarize.
http://www.houequality.com/faq
quote:
What does this ordinance do?

A: This ordinance prohibits discrimination on the basis of characteristics in City employment, City services, City contracting practices, housing, public accommodations and private employment.
Ragoo
AG
Didn't realize that was a problem in today's society.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Didn't realize that was a problem in today's society.
Since the ordinance was passed, more than 100 reports of discrimination that would be covered under the ordinance have been received by the Inspector General, despite the ordinance not being in effect until today.
Ragoo
AG
Sounds like you should hire more people....
pasquale
AG
So what is the actual law and don't care to read 36 pages.

Any gender can use any restroom?
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
Too late. The deadline was last July.
So you are saying there is not way to overturn this ordinance? Give me a break.

I can't wait until some mom post a picture of a dude in the women's restroom and creates a giant facebook firestorm. Porker is going to sheet her drawers so bad
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Any gender can use any restroom?
No.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.