Houston
Sponsored by

Super Bowl LI

2,071 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bigjag19
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Who-ll-pick-up-tab-to-get-stadium-ready-for-big-6197568.php?t=9cd609c440&cmpid=twitter-premium

So the NFL wants $50MM in upgrades to Reliant before 2017 (which isn't very far away if your'e talking about major capital improvements that will need to be done next summer I guess). The County doesn't want to pay, it doesn't sound like the Texans want to pay. The NFL sure doesn't want to pay.

I think the whole thing is a bilking of the local economy. I'm not a believer that publicly-financed stadiums are these huge economic windfalls for the citizens that pay for them.
cajunaggie08
AG
I say let the NFL or Texans pay for it. As great as wifi would be, most of the upgrade costs are associated with upgrading the suite experience which is something most of the taxpayers will never get to enjoy. Sounds like the NFL is hinting that if the upgrades don't happen, then don't expect the super bowl to come back. Since the Texans and Rodeo are the ones that will benefit the most from these upgraded features (higher suite prices) then they should pony up for the upgrades. The Astros just spent millions upgrading Minute Maid Park's club level. The Texans are rolling in cash and can easily afford and will further profit from upgrading these fancy stadium features.
BBRex
AG
Chip, you're not the only one who thinks that.
Serotonin
AG
Wish more big cities (like LA) would refuse to get scammed by the NFL.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I've had this book on my Amazon wish list for years but never gotten around to ordering it.
Serotonin
AG
Looks like a great read. These economic studies are about as valid as the one Baylor did showing that the state would lose billions if A&M left for the SEC.
tylercsbn9
AG
why in the **** does the stadium need wifi? Stupid waste of money.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
why in the **** does the stadium need wifi? Stupid waste of money.
Couldn't be more wrong.

You know how many use social media while at events like Texans games, HLSR, and Super Bowl? Not to mention media presence at events like NCAA Final Fours, Sweet 16s, etc?

It's a shame it wasn't put in earlier.

Hell, cars, Mcdonald's, Megabus, etc all have wifi but a state of the art multi-million dollar stadium doesn't?
BarryProfit
NRG stadium is far from state of the art.
jja79
AG
I can't believe they'd hold a Super Bowl there. It's nothing special.
Chuck Gay
AG
That should be between the Texans and their fans - not the taxpayers.
Diggity
AG
I can't believe you think a stadium being "special" is on the list of criteria for the NFL.
jja79
AG
I'm sure it's not.
bigjag19
AG
Other than Lambeau, what stadium is special and why?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.