Houston
Sponsored by

Astros and Hinch?

2,067 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BMX Bandit
ncttc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone else see the problem with the Astros lineup? Why do you continue to play Carter and Gattis every game? Neither one can even hit the ball right now. Why don't you play Marwin at first. He has shown that he can at least make contact with the ball. Gonna be a long year if Hinch doesn't start playing his contact hitters. I think it is time to bench Carter and Gattis a game or two to maybe make them concentrate on their swing and not go for the fence every time!
ncttc
With runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs in the 6th inning, why didn't we pinch hit Marwin for Carter for a sacrifice bunt? Instead, Carter pops out and Castro grounds into a DP. Had we sac, at least we would have a run!
Ag_07
AG
It's early and no need to jump off the cliff. They're not going to bat .050 all year. Numbers are skewed right now.

I like the consistency. Guys need to know what their role is and know what is expected of them. Those expectations don't change when you slump therefore your position in the lineup doesn't.

I hated that with Porter the lineup looked completely different every game. Can't imagine showing up every day and not knowing where or if you'd play or bat. That was not good for a young team.
1876er
AG
When will people realize that this experiment is a failure?
Zobel
AG
You mean the DH and being in the American League like a bunch of goddam commies?
ncttc
Ag 07, I agree. But I do not see how you can play Gattis and Carter in the same game at this time. They are both in a slump. Lets play the players who are making contact! BTW, nice AB for Carter in the 8th. He took some off of his swing with 2 strikes and went to right field. Kudos!
ncttc
Ag 07, I think you need to play the players that are at least making contact with the ball. Gattis is finally starting to at least hit the ball. Between Gattis and Carter, I think their combined BA before this game was below .100 I do not understand how you start both of them and leave Marwin (or anyone else) on the bench. Save one for a PH
ncttc
Before tonight, Gattis had 13 K's in 24 AB. Carter had 8 K's in 22 AB. That is 21 k's in 46 AB! At this time, only one of them needs to start. Hinch is not doing the Astros any favors.
ncttc
Let's just hope that Hinch plays the players that can actually have good at bats tomorrow. We don't have to have HR hitters, just hitters that can make contact.
Jett01
AG
Things aren't working. Change the lineup a bit and see what happens. This obviously isn't working. Perhaps Gattis was a bad (terrible) decision.

I always say - I'm not paid the big bucks to make these decisions and they know more than I - but this Gattis stuff is getting old quick.
BarryProfit
It's way too early, they've only played 8 games! That's less than 5% of the season. To compare it to the NBA that's about 4 games or to the nfl it's a little more than 3 quarters of week 1.

It's frustrating to watch but way too soon to start jerking guys around. No one it hitting right now including Springer and Altuve. Seems like they are all pressing.
Chewy
AG
I never understood the Gattis deal. Dude can hit the ball a country mile when he makes contact but he's just a DH.

He has no position on the field. The LAST thing the Astros need to worry about right now is filling their DH role. Let other hitters who have a potential long term future with the club fill that spot.

Crane and Lunhow have not impressed me at all so far. I get rebuilding but I don't think it's as promising as some people think right now.
Tom Hagen
AG
People follow the Astros?
BarryProfit
quote:
I never understood the Gattis deal. Dude can hit the ball a country mile when he makes contact but he's just a DH.

He has no position on the field. The LAST thing the Astros need to worry about right now is filling their DH role. Let other hitters who have a potential long term future with the club fill that spot.

He's never been a DH at the major league level.
Chewy
AG
It's minimal but he served some as Atlantas DH the last couple years. He's played C, 1B, OF, and DH in Atlanta.

His best position seems to be DH against left handed pitching. Maybe he turns into a Mike Napoli and he very well could but I still believe that's not the type of player the Astros need right now.
MelvinUdall
It's a 162 game season, do you believe that the Tigers as a team are going to bat .350 for the entire season and break every offensive team record there is? This is the equivalent of someone saying that after 5 games and a player has 5 homeruns that he is going to hit 162 homeruns.
Wiggletrace
AG
quote:
It's early and no need to jump off the cliff. They're not going to bat .050 all year. Numbers are skewed right now.

I like the consistency. Guys need to know what their role is and know what is expected of them. Those expectations don't change when you slump therefore your position in the lineup doesn't.

I hated that with Porter the lineup looked completely different every game. Can't imagine showing up every day and not knowing where or if you'd play or bat. That was not good for a young team.
This guy gets it...

It's a small sample size, and the premise that Luhnow/Hinch live by is that the players' statistical trends will normalize. You are likely to see both Carter and Gattis go on huge power surges at some point in the season... but you will also see them swing and miss a bunch.

Gattis' SO% has been around 24% for his career (though short), right now he is at 48%. He isn't going to stay at 48% all season.

Carter's career SO% has been 33.7%. He is at 35.7% right now, so that isn't his problem. Currently his BABIP (Batting Average on Balls in Play) is .125. THAT is the issue as his BABIP for his career has been .280. His line drive percentage is within his career average as well which means he is hitting the ball, percentage wise, as well as his career average; however, he's been "unlucky" as to where those balls fall in play. I think you'll see his BABIP return to his career norm, and with it, his homerun totals. He led the league in AB/HR last season (13.7AB/HR). This is why you leave him in the lineup. Based on his past performance, he has 44 HR upside on the season if he gets 600 at-bats.
ncttc
Finally! Gattis HR after another strikeout night for him and Carter. Hope he gets hot! I still do not understand Hinch's patience with these 2 strikeout kings. Nice hit Gattis
Ag_07
AG
We've tried explaining to you, but if you don't understand simple math and averages I'm not sure there's hope. One last time...

Their SO numbers aren't drastically lower than their career norms. You can't jump off the cliff and base performance on such a small sample size. Again, you really think they'll hit .096 all year?

You play em, have other guys step up (Altuve, Springer, Lowrie, Marisnick), win some games with pitching (our 2.75 ERA is good for 4th in AL) and when these guys come around we'll be fine.

Hell...Everyone predicted this team be at or just over .500 on the season. Right now with our offensive struggles we're at.444. They're not hurting us as much as it seems.
XpressAg09
AG
I've got a soft spot for Gattis...the kid keeps swinging for the fences out of desperation. It was good to see him crush one and hopefully that'll settle him down.

All in all, I think we're making strides compared to seasons past.
E
AG
It's the first two weeks of the season, you don't see too many changes on any team this early.
BMX Bandit
Kris Bryant struck out 3 times in debut.

Cubs should send him back down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.