Houston
Sponsored by

2015 BP MS-150

5,884 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by mm98
BoxingAg84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like there will be rain on Saturday, specifically in Bellvile during lunch.
I'm not looking forward to riding in the rain this year.
Sunday's forecast appears to be all clear.
Jules_Winnfield
I have checked AccuWeather Yahoo and NOAA and all three have said there's about 30 to 40% chance of rain on Saturday in Houston and Belleville area

Hopefully the protections stand
AMW2010
AG
Ride or die!!

Hope it doesn't rain, but if it does, there is always a SAG! :-)
wessimo
AG
Eh, riding in the rain isn't that bad.
chico
AG
will be riding my 11th!
and who cares about the weather, just ride.
Jules_Winnfield
lil rain won't hurt anything
swimmerbabe11
My first year as a team captain. I'm super excited.

Hoping for a MS150 Weather Miracle.

Plenty of beer in the tent either way!
mm98
AG
quote:
lil rain won't hurt anything
Not until you have 300 riders going downhill with wet brakes...

A lot of the weather sites show different wind patterns and rain projections so i'm crossing my fingers and hoping...
randy828
AG
I looked on the site under Routes and could not find a detailed route. Can someone tell me what roads are used from Houston on Saturday? I am going to be heading west on Saturday morning and wanted to make sure I did not take any roads the MS 150 takes.

TIA.
AGeng25
AG
Everything you need to know:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?pg=informational&fr_id=25298&type=fr_informational&sid=11522
aTm2004
AG
I trust the forecast as much as I trusted a random chick being on the pill.

Saturday and Sunday had 80% of rain/thunder storms predicted. Saturday, nothing but gleaming rays of sunshine after about 9am. Sunday, cloudy as ****, but no rain. I had a 35 and 60 mile ride planned last weekend that I cancelled due to the forecast (didn't want to be 27 miles in and get caught in a downpour). I thought about heading out on Saturday once the sun came out, but we had my daughter's birthday party to prepare for, which I would have been back in time for had the forecast had been semi-accurate. So now, I'm going into day 1 with my last ride being a quick 25 miler 2 weeks ago.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
I support the cause to cure MS, but I damn sure hate the cluster **** this event causes for people. It is an absolute pain for us people who live in Austin County and have to get on the roads between 9 a.m.-2 p.m....Certain out of town police officers don't help the cause either.
One day a year. Deal with it.
AMW2010
AG
Riding the ms150 isn't about how long you can ride... My longest ride I've done this year is 10 miles...and I think doing the 150 is pretty easy... Time in the seat is better than distance riding
aTm2004
AG
The distance isn't the issue, it's the distance coupled with the hills. I've done a couple of 50 mile training rides and was fine. Doing 85ish miles with half being hilly will suck, especially with a NNW wind.
chico
AG
quote:
I support the cause to cure MS, but I damn sure hate the cluster **** this event causes for people. It is an absolute pain for us people who live in Austin County and have to get on the roads between 9 a.m.-2 p.m....Certain out of town police officers don't help the cause either.
Pretty sure your county makes a LOT of tax money and your good citizens get increased income from renting out the fair grounds in Bellville, people randomly buying goods from area vendors, cops getting overtime pay, sag wagons & motorcycle support vehicles buying gas. So money for a great cause and it benefits your county and people financially.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

Doesn't sound like it.
randy828
AG
Ageng25, thank you a TON. That is exactly the route I was going to drive Saturday morning, that makes my mind up, I will be driving Friday late night instead. I am going to New Ulm from Jersey Village and was going to take 290 to 159 to 109.

Excellent info and thank you.
mm98
AG
quote:
The distance isn't the issue, it's the distance coupled with the hills. I've done a couple of 50 mile training rides and was fine. Doing 85ish miles with half being hilly will suck, especially with a NNW wind.

Agree. Hills change everything, and hills with wind is worse.

txags92
AG
MS society just put out update that fairgrounds are very wet and they will be monitoring future rain to see if they need to change the ride. Keep an eye on their facebook page for updates over the next couple of days.
wessimo
AG
Will be interesting to see what they do if they can't open the fairgrounds. Cancel day 1?
mm98
AG
quote:
MS society just put out update that fairgrounds are very wet and they will be monitoring future rain to see if they need to change the ride. Keep an eye on their facebook page for updates over the next couple of days.

Are they only updating by Facebook?
aTm2004
AG
Facebook and team captains it looks like. I got an email from my team captain before I received the MS email. The weatherman was wrong last weekend so hopefully that trend continues.
mm98
AG
I actually got one direct to my gmail act. thx for the heads up though.
Jules_Winnfield
Text "BP" to 68686 to get updates
AMW2010
AG
Hmmm news to me...
Ag_07
AG
Severe storm potential for Friday (top) and Saturday (bottom).

swimmerbabe11
If you actually supported the cause to cure MS, the BEST part of the ride would be that it funded all of the research necessary for 2 of the 12 new medications that were introduced in the last year to help those suffering from multiple Sclerosis.

But I'll gladly post my donation page if you'd like to put your money where your mouth is.
txags92
AG
I seem to recall this same troll happening last year on the ms150 thread. Just flag his posts as trolling and go back to the discussion. Arguing with him just feeds the troll.
AGeng25
AG
quote:
Ageng25, thank you a TON. That is exactly the route I was going to drive Saturday morning, that makes my mind up, I will be driving Friday late night instead. I am going to New Ulm from Jersey Village and was going to take 290 to 159 to 109.

Excellent info and thank you.
herb96
AG
quote:
Severe storm potential for Friday (top) and Saturday (bottom).

Saturday looks like a big P**** for the riders.
Jules_Winnfield
MS 150 just sent out an email

Ride is still on
txags92
AG
For now. Just keep praying that lagrange doesnt get a deluge like 2009. They will let us ride in the rain...but not if there is no place to sleep when we get there.
BoxingAg84
Email:

quote:
National Multiple Sclerosis Society and BP MS 150 organizers continue to carefully evaluate the weather forecast for the remainder of the week and weekend.

At this time, the ride will commence as scheduled.
Safety is our primary concern, and we'll provide updates as we monitor weather and route conditions. Cyclists and volunteers are cautioned to exercise heightened safety measures and pay close attention to the weather.

Each participant's safety is his or her personal responsibility, and each participant must individually as a rider determine if he or she is prepared, possesses the abilities to ride in inclement weather and temperatures, and is willing to assume the attendant risks.

For tips on riding in wet road conditions, visit the Training & Safety page.

We will continue to keep the BP MS 150 community informed of any updates or plan alterations that are made on the BP MS 150 website and the BP MS 150 Facebook page.
swimmerbabe11
I'm about to buy all of the tarps from Academy. My tent will be selling extra tarps to raise money for MS.
Yay tarp floors!

Just kidding, but its not a bad idea
txags92
AG
You would be better off buying a bunch of sheets of plywood for high traffic areas of your team tent. Those areas will get squishy real fast if you are on a grassy area. Just make sure everybody watches their step walking on the plywood in cycling cleats.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.