Houston
Sponsored by

So when did Whoop U on 290 go out of business?

11,784 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by cajunaggie08
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nm
Post removed:
by user
adamsbq06
AG
they did... i think the last i heard they were moving to College Station
Post removed:
by user
Aggie09Derek
AG
If they didn't survive during the boom of our brand in the last 3-4 years they didn't have a good business plan to begin with. Maybe could have had a ton of Aggie gear but making it all colleges would have been more successful.
The Original AG 76
AG
Went there 2-3 times. Had great stuff, high quality and decent selection. BUT they didn't take into account that there are TONS of Aggie gear at a hell of a lower price all over CS and even at Academy. I don't need a lot of $85 polos but I'll buy tons of cheap stuff for kids, grandkids myself etc. For whatever reason it just seems natural to cheap out on college gear and they didn't have good selection of that stuff.
Plus ..the damn store was waaaay too dark. A store full of maroon needs great lighting. They tried to create a " high end" ambience but I found it annoying. ( and told them).
Jack Cheese
AG
Agree it was too dark in there. Couldn't ever find the basics. Expected MSC bookstore, it wasn't that.
Jack Klompus
AG
I found that it was cheaper to buy things from the MSC Bookstore or Aggieland Outfitters and have it shipped to Cypress than to go to WhoopU. Most of the time I received my items within 1 day of ordering them from the CS stores.
Texaggie7nine
I agree. I went to WhoopU a few times and bought a few nick nacks, but mostly I was just blown away at the high prices. I opted for online shopping or buying in CS.

It was basically like a golf course pro shop prices.
7nine
cajunaggie08
AG
It's a risky business plan to open a physical store when your entire inventory can be purchased from somewhere else online for cheaper. The only reason the physical stores are successful in CS is from being by the college and banking on gameday and even weekends. I live in the cypress area and never once thought, lets drive to the aggie clothing store in a strip center I never normally venture to. You need the store to be in a spot that has naturally high traffic to get the passer by to wander in while doing other clothing shopping. You could argue that the HEB sees tons of traffic but grocery store shoppers are there to get in and get out. I still wonder how that sip store in the galleria area is still holding on. I imagine rent to be crazy stupid high there.
adamsbq06
AG
I think the Sip store is being subsidized by the other Sip stores in Austin. I doubt that location turns a profit.
cajunaggie08
AG
Thats the only reasonable explanation I could think of. The co-op has near a monopoly in terms of being a physical store to go buy books at ut. They are rolling in book sales money. The merchandise sales are just icing on the cake.
XpressAg09
AG
quote:
nm

What's the point in writing "nm" with no edits? Just don't press enter next time...
Aggie09Derek
AG
Nothing more
XpressAg09
AG
I see.
Post removed:
by user
AMW2010
AG
They were nice people... I told him it would be hard to compete with academy on hwy 6/290... That's store has more aggie gear than most others, and it's cheaper
AgMarauder04
AG
Their stuff was very meh. Their inventory was just so bland and boring.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Nothing more
no message
Bondag
AG
I called them when I was looking for a particular shirt. They said they could find it and ship. Fanatics.com had it overnighted and I got it without driving around town.
Diggity
AG
wait...so you guys are saying there are sites on the internet where you can locate hard to find items for bargain basement prices? Tell me more!
Texas A&M
I liked the store, but to earlier points their selection was probably too high end and the location wasn't the best.

Now if I could only find a place with a good selection of white A&M t-shirts (cotton), I'd be happy.
n_touch
They shut the doors on Mar 16th.
drwong
AG
My biggest problem was they had a very limited Adidas selection relative to the places in CS. I prefer the same stuff the team wears, not Under Armour.
adamsbq06
AG
That's a bingo!
Mucho austin
AG
Nm /= nothing more or no message

It means never mind

STOP TRYING TO CHANGE THE INTERNET

Hth (hate that ho)
GoAgs92
AG
seemed like a bad idea to begin with.
Chewy
AG
Went in WhoopU once and similar experience to others. Selection was meh, lighting was too dark, and prices too high. Never went back.

I don't think it could make it either but it would be more interesting to see what an Aggieland Outfitters location could do in Houston. It's odd the Longhorn Co-Op can make it so it's likely subsidized. There's one in Fort Worth though that had to break down and sell TCU stuff so it wasn't totally subsidized I'm guessing.

Rally House from DFW would also be interesting to see if it could make it since it covers multiple teams but a wider selection than Academy.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
"Rally House from DFW would also be interesting to see if it could make it since it covers multiple teams but a wider selection than Academy."

I have always wanted to look into what it would cost to get one started in Houston. I think selling multiple state teams works well.
Bondag
AG
quote:
"Rally House from DFW would also be interesting to see if it could make it since it covers multiple teams but a wider selection than Academy."

I have always wanted to look into what it would cost to get one started in Houston. I think selling multiple state teams works well.

They get a lot of SMU, TCU, OU, and Ok State in south Oklahoma. UH and Rice will not sell as well.
cajunaggie08
AG
quote:

I've seen too many sports appearal stores come and go in malls to make me think it could be a successful venture.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.