Houston
Sponsored by

Dirtbag Driver of the Day

5,316 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by HalifaxAg
Post removed:
by user
ballchain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CrossBowAg99
AG
MYOB
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
And taking pics of other drivers while you're navigating 59 traffic is real safe.
cajunaggie08
AG
I used to ride shotgun without a seat belt when I was 5. When mom saw a cop she would shout duck and we'd hide. Ah the good old days
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
I used to ride shotgun without a seat belt when I was 5. When mom saw a cop she would shout duck and we'd hide. Ah the good old days

We didn't have car seats when I was five. We usually rolled around in the back of the station wagon.
Ag_07
AG
Poking your nose in someone else's business.
Producers_96
AG
Was anybody else relieved to open this thread and not see a picture of themselves?

Anyone???
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Gotta agree here.

I thought the self righteous, way over protective cries of covering all the precious little children in bubble wrap only came from soccer moms.

I rode anywhere from the back window to on the floor to in the bed of a truck all with no seatbelts when I was a kid.

7nine
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I swear, these days it seems like kids are supposed to ride in car seats until they are about 11.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
quote:
Gotta agree here.

I thought the self righteous, way over protective cries of covering all the precious little children in bubble wrap only came from soccer moms.

I rode anywhere from the back window to on the floor to in the bed of a truck all with no seatbelts when I was a kid.

cajunaggie08
AG
quote:
I swear, these days it seems like kids are supposed to ride in car seats until they are about 11.

It blew my mind when my wife told me that. We were out registering for baby stuff and I saw that the car/booster seats go through all the way to the start of junior high. WTH
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I hope you immediately called 911. That is inexcusable and completely reckless. We all know kids should ride in the trunk.
Buck O Five
AG
I'm not normally a "think of the children" type, but I worked briefly as an EMT and saw some horrific accidents. Buckle up, it's not hard.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
It blew my mind when my wife told me that. We were out registering for baby stuff and I saw that the car/booster seats go through all the way to the start of junior high. WTH
Please tell me that is not real. Maybe those are for special needs kids? Our country is so f***ed. In 5-10 years, Russia, China, or the Muslims will be able to just walk right in and take it if they want.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
It will be my business when I am paying for the kids life flight to Ben Taub.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:
Please tell me that is not real. Maybe those are for special needs kids? Our country is so f***ed. In 5-10 years, Russia, China, or the Muslims will be able to just walk right in and take it if they want.
i saw some "think of the children" ad that talked about kids being in booster seats until they are taller than 4'11".
drumboy
AG
I know that kids are supposed to be in a booster seat til they're 16 now, but I let my 9 yo ride in the front seat all the time in a booster seat. The air bag turns off automatically and I'm less distracted cause I don't have to crank up Arianna Grande cause she can reach the radio.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
I know that kids are supposed to be in a booster seat til they're 16 now, but I let my 9 yo ride in the front seat all the time in a booster seat. The air bag turns off automatically and I'm less distracted cause I don't have to crank up Arianna Grande cause she can reach the radio.
likely story. we all know she's turning it down and you keep turning it up.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:

We didn't have car seats when I was five. We usually rolled around in the back of the station wagon.

Why don't the dead kids ever come on here to post THEIR anecdotes?
Do you know how many kids die in car accidents that even are strapped in a proper seat? quite a bit.

If you really cared about kids you would support never driving with a kid in the car.
7nine
94chem
quote:
Do you know how many kids die in car accidents that even are strapped in a proper seat? quite a bit.

No, I didn't know that! Really?
94chem
Booster seats may not help for older children, but mine prefer them because it makes the seat belt more comfortable. The seat belt is the most important thing.

Car seats for toddlers and babies are of course important. Not really any debate on whether they work or not.
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:

CPS would take my brother and me these days. We would ride in the back of the truck with a camper on road trips. We didn't have iPhones so we had to entertain ourselves doing stuff like peeing in yoohoo bottles and seeing how far we could drag them behind the truck before they would shatter.

No way I would let my daughters do half the character-building shlt we did.
Diggity
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you really cared about kids you would support never driving with a kid in the car.
I'm pretty sure half the time you post this crap just to start an argument.
Texaggie7nine
so?
7nine
cajunaggie08
AG
a man's gotta entertain himself at work somehow
AggieDoc2002
AG
quote:
quote:
It will be my business when I am paying for the kids life flight to Ben Taub.

Agree with this, but FWIW Life Flight lands at Memorial-Hermann Hospital. Ben Taub has no helipad.
agnatgas
AG
How about laying on the spot between the back seat and the back windshield. Many a kid from the 60s did that.
Texan76
Mexicans are the worst about using seat belts and car seats in my observation. A cultural thing.
Andy07
AG
We took the backseat out of our minivan growing up so that we would have room to play on roadtrips. I'm not sure we knew what a seatbelt was.
Rexter
We did all the riding up in the back window, bed of the truck, between the second and third wagon seats. Folks didn't know but when my oldest brother started driving he would give us rides all the time....on the hood of the car. My pop had a baseball habit back in the early 80s. We went to dang near every Astros home game for 3 or 4 years. He did side work to pay for his habit. One job involved driving a stake bed delivery truck from 11pm-330 am. I was 14 so a couple of friends and I would help him out in return for going to the games. We would screw with him while going up 45 from downtown to west rd by climbing out of the bed and standing on the rear bumper and bouncing up and down...while holding the stake panels. Lucky to be alive these days. I do let my 10yr old ride in the front with the airbag turned off. He like raising the seat so he can see.
bigjag19
AG
Also, keep them rear facing until they grow out of it. Most car seat manufacturers recommend 2 as the minimum to turn them around.

I was in a wreck 3 weeks ago. My rear facing 2 year old was fine. Had she been flipped her injuries would have been fairly significant.
Texan76
quote:
We did all the riding up in the back window, bed of the truck, between the second and third wagon seats. Folks didn't know but when my oldest brother started driving he would give us rides all the time....on the hood of the car. My pop had a baseball habit back in the early 80s. We went to dang near every Astros home game for 3 or 4 years. He did side work to pay for his habit. One job involved driving a stake bed delivery truck from 11pm-330 am. I was 14 so a couple of friends and I would help him out in return for going to the games. We would screw with him while going up 45 from downtown to west rd by climbing out of the bed and standing on the rear bumper and bouncing up and down...while holding the stake panels. Lucky to be alive these days. I do let my 10yr old ride in the front with the airbag turned off. He like raising the seat so he can see.
Yep. More people using seat belts, car seats, and the presence of air bags has caused the fatality per mile driven stat to plummet.

How guilty would you feel if your child got a traumatic brain injury that meant he was drooling in a corner for the rest of his life just because you did not use proper safety systems?
Buck O Five
AG
Big heavy steel car from 1959 vs small chevy malibu. Remarkable how much better off we are today, from vehicle engineering to safety restraints to emergency response services. We've come a long way from private Hearst service grab and go's.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.