Houston
Sponsored by

Moving to North Houston

5,283 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Aggie369
BQ_2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like we will be relocating to Houston from Corpus. We are looking at buying in the Klein area. Can anyone comment on the commute times from Klein to 45 & Beltway 8 North as well as Klein to I10 & Beltway 8 West?

What are the best routes to take?

Thanks.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Move to el paso. This town is full.
coolerguy12
AG
Rush hour
8 & 45 - 35 minutes
10 & 8 - 55 minutes

Normal
8 & 45 - 25 minutes
10 & 8 - 35 minutes

Depends where in Klein. I used to live at louetta and champion forest to give you a reference.

Edit: didn't see routes. Live closer to 249 if you can. They are putting a new ramp in from 249 S to Beltway W. That road should move pretty well when they are done. 45 will be a joke forever. Take 249 to the beltway for both locations.
Fall92
AG
I live around Louetta & Ella. It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to Greenspoint in the mornings. If there's an accident, etc. I'll take the Hardy Toll Road. It takes about 30 minutes to get home before 6:30 pm but only 10-15 after.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
technoengr
AG
quote:
I live around Louetta & Ella. It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to Greenspoint in the mornings. If there's an accident, etc. I'll take the Hardy Toll Road. It takes about 30 minutes to get home before 6:30 pm but only 10-15 after.

Same here. I live just south of the new Exxon campus. 2920 and Spring Cypress
BQ_2010
AG
Thanks for the replys so far

I'm looking at the areas around Hooks airport. Gleannloch, Inverness Estates, Lakes of Avalon are looking promising. Any suggestions?
adamsbq06
AG
Id also consider Kingwood
coolerguy12
AG
quote:
Id also consider Kingwood

That's good for Greenspoint but not I-10. Glennlock and Inverness would both get you on 249 pretty quick especially once the grand parkway is finished. Do you know how much time you will spend at each location?
BQ_2010
AG
My job will be at Greenspoint and Mrs. BQ will be working I10 and 610 west (I thought it was I10&beltway).
Aggiemike96
AG
T&P for her commute.
TX scallywAG
AG
Check out North Hampton. Just north of 2920 off Boudreaux. Nice area a few miles from Hooks.

Welcome to north Houston. I lived Tomball for a couple yrs, on opposite side of Spring now.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Hulla Baller
AG
ITL>OTL

amirite?
BQ_2010
AG
I know.... Would Missouri City be a better option for both of us? My company recently purchased 170 acres at W Lake Houston and Beltway 8 East. Thats probably where I will be working out of by 2017. Either way, I think one of us is going to get screwed.
BQ_2010
AG
Doesnt have to be near hooks, I just saw that the majority of the neighborhoods around hooks were nice. I guess I now need to change this thread title to "Help me pick where to live with the least sh**iest commute". Haha. I10 and 610 is completely different than I10 and the Beltway in terms of commute times.
Olive Bomb
The right answer is to live somewhere central (Timbergrove, Montrose, Heights, Oak Forest), but no idea what your budget is or if schools matter to you. Also not sure those fit the bill based on the other neighborhoods you're looking at, but that's about as good as you can both hope for, commute wise.
Farmer1906
AG
Maybe Fall Creek. Works out werll for both Greenspoint and West Lake Houston.

Northtex is one of the better freeways. It will still be a not so great commute for th wife, but its not any worse then 45, 10, or 288 coming in to that area.
NC2001
AG
Based on your descriptions, I think you and I work for the same company. Check out the Heights or somewhere in the 249 area. That should be a midpoint for you and your wife to commute to work.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Based on your descriptions, I think you and I work for the same company. Check out the Heights or somewhere in the 249 area. That should be a midpoint for you and your wife to commute to work.

You have to go up pretty far on 249 for get to a nice area.
NC2001
AG
That's true. I unfortunately live in Cypress. I'll definitely will have to relocate once we all move to the new location.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm in Memorial Northwest. My wife and I love the area. Also second the North Hampton area. Those were out two main choices when looking.

It sounds like you are looking for new/newer houses in the area so neither of those neighborhoods would fit. There are MANY new neighborhoods being built in the area so you have lots of choices.

Commutes from around here are in flux though. All the construction...new roads opening up etc
Aggie369
AG
I just moved to Tomball off 249. I work all over houston and have to drive to conroe, Kingwood, med center, down town....med center takes like 1 hour and 15 minutes...down town takes an hour. Greenspoint area would take like 30 probably. Kingwood 45-50. There is a lot of traffic due to construction of new ramps though so hopefully those times will drop some when the on ramps are finished.

We love Tomball and the neighborhood we moved into by the way...We live off of northpointe (lots of new homes and great school) and its a nice area. It takes 15 minutes to get to 290 from my driveway but we only go to 290 to come to college station or to take 99 to i10
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
this discussion depends solely on your budget...
jja79
AG
From Northpoint why would you go to 290 to get to CS?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
From Northpoint why would you go to 290 to get to CS?

This!
Aggie369
AG
I only know of going 105 and 290 and its faster for me to go 290 after timing both

Maybe the 105 route will get faster when they are done with construction
jja79
AG
249 to 1174 to 105 to 6
Or
Boudreaux to Telge to 2920 to Kickapoo to 362 to 6

Both better routes.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
249 to 1174 to 105 to 6
This. Easily the fastest way.
Aggie369
AG
From my house off norhpointe to CS takes me an hour and 8 minutes...are those back roads worth it?
Farmer1906
AG
Its probably about 10 miles shorter so you'd have to drive avg like 55 vs 65 to get there in the same amount of time 105 and most of 1774 is 70 speed limit. So yeah you'd save 5-10 min, I'd guess.
jja79
AG
If you're making it in 1 hour 8 minutes from Northpoint you should become a tour guide. How are you making it to 290 in 2 minutes?
Aggie369
AG
Northpointe to cypress rosehill...I forget all the streets in between..I think shaw and grant. That puts me out just south of the buccees...290 to 6. My parent's gameday house is off William d fitch so that's my end point
agracer
AG
quote:
My job will be at Greenspoint and Mrs. BQ will be working I10 and 610 west (I thought it was I10&beltway).
tell her to quit and find a job closer to yours. That commute sucks no matter where u live in Houston
BBRex
AG
My wife and I have pretty much that commute (she works at 610 and 290 and I work near Greenspoint) and recently moved into one of those much-maligned gated communities near the Hollister-Tidwell area. The place is tucked away and the commute isn't bad for either of us, but not the place if you have school-age kids, unless you want to pay for private school. There's a decent park nearby, but plenty of shady folks over near 290. Anyway, finding a place to live here is pretty much about trade offs and what works for you. Good luck.
BQ_2010
AG
Sorry guys, just got back to checking this thread. The budget is 300K. Its just me, the rib, and two dogs. Definitely looking east of 249, north of spring cypress, MAYBE louetta. I think we have determined that 249 to the beltway to westpark tollway will be best for her commute. Hopefully her work will reimburse tolls haha. We are actually driving to Houston this Thursday and on Friday we will leave from Gleannloch at 7am to see how ****ty the commute is to her job at San Felipe and Post Oak during rush hour. After that we will just drive around and look at houses all weekend.

All of the info yall are giving is definitely appreciated. Keep it coming!
Farmer1906
AG
I still say give Fall Creek a look. It is closer than spring cypress & 249 and coing from Fall Creek gives you options to take 610, i10, or 59 depending on traffic that day. You can find a great sized homes for 300K.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.