Houston
Sponsored by

Spring/woodlands traffic warning

3,647 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Wonderer
cgh1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The entrance ramp onto 45 from 2920 has been shut down by construction. I got to the intersection of 2920 and 45 over an hour ago. I have not even made it to the grand parkway on the 45 Feeder Rd. yet. I can't even tell how much farther this traffic goes.
Ag_07
AG
So you're warning us that the morning commute from Spring/Woodlands is bad??
cgh1999
AG
Heading toward the woodlands from spring.
TXTransplant
A press release was sent out by the contractor about this last week. That frontage road is supposed to be closed for 6 weeks. However, who knows if that's correct or not because the press release also said that there was going to be a complete closure of I-45 southbound in that area from Friday night - Monday morning of this past weekend, and that turned out not to be the case. Getting correct information about road closures around here is like pulling teeth.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
So you're warning us that the morning commute from Spring/Woodlands is bad??
Just keep going, only 300 miles north to Dallas.
cgh1999
AG
That closure added one hour to my commute this morning. This area has gotten to be a nightmare to get around.
aTm2004
AG
Stone Cold
AG
Quit yer whinin'
jja79
AG
Turn left from 2920 to 2978 and it's a breeze. Or turn left at the Boudreaux intersection then left on Kuykendahl. I seldom run into much traffic with either route.
The Wonderer
AG
Is that the section of road from 2920 to the Stubner underpass?
TXTransplant
quote:

That's what it sounds like from the OP's first post, but the press release that went out last week said it was the SOUTHbound FM 2920 exit ramp that will be closed for 6 weeks. So, who knows. Between the construction at 45 and 242 and 45 and the grand pkwy, I try to avoid the I-45 area at all costs, and especially on weekends.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:

That's what it sounds like from the OP's first post, but the press release that went out last week said it was the SOUTHbound FM 2920 exit ramp that will be closed for 6 weeks. So, who knows. Between the construction at 45 and 242 and 45 and the grand pkwy, I try to avoid the I-45 area at all costs, and especially on weekends.
Unfortunately, I can't. Working off of 45/1960 and living in Augusta Pines/Auburn Lakes makes that route or the 2920 route my only real ways of commuting. I'm not looking forward to having to use Louetta and Kuykendahl...
TXTransplant
quote:
quote:
quote:

Unfortunately, I can't. Working off of 45/1960 and living in Augusta Pines/Auburn Lakes makes that route or the 2920 route my only real ways of commuting. I'm not looking forward to having to use Louetta and Kuykendahl...

Is the 2920 southbound exit even closed? I'm seriously questioning the accuracy of the information in the press release now. And can you get on I-45 south at Spring Steubner? I live in Creekside, so if I need to go into town, Spring Steubner or 2920 are where I would typically get on 45, too.

FYI...if you are curious what it said...
http://m.yourhoustonnews.com/tomball/news/traffic-closures-expected-on-grand-parkway-as-progress-continues/article_b2126b8c-96c9-5c2a-a83a-c90a3ee2f1b3.html?mode=jqm.

I still can't figure out WTH I-45 and East Montgomery Rd is. Google maps shows it's in Willis...
The Wonderer
AG
Nope, southbound was open and no barrels were placed near it this morning. The northbound exit for Stubner West and the frontage had barrels around it yesterday. Me thinks whoever wrote that goofed up good.
TXTransplant
quote:
Nope, southbound was open and no barrels were placed near it this morning. The northbound exit for Stubner West and the frontage had barrels around it yesterday. Me thinks whoever wrote that goofed up good.

Good grief...that's three major mistakes in that one release. No one knows where the heck East Montgomery Rd is, as it turns out, the southbound lanes of I-45 weren't closed for at least part (if not all) of this past weekend, and the southbound exit for 2920 isn't closed but the northbound is.

Is someone at Zachry-Odebrecht just messing with us, or are they really that incompetent?!? If it's the latter, it makes me wonder if there is a similar level of incompetence to the construction work being done...
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:

Good grief...that's three major mistakes in that one release. No one knows where the heck East Montgomery Rd is, as it turns out, the southbound lanes of I-45 weren't closed for at least part (if not all) of this past weekend, and the southbound exit for 2920 isn't closed but the northbound is.

Is someone at Zachry-Odebrecht just messing with us, or are they really that incompetent?!? If it's the latter, it makes me wonder if there is a similar level of incompetence to the construction work being done...
They are contracted by the state because they were most likely the lowest bidder, so.....
88jrt06
AG
This thread may as well be "stickied".

For 5-10 years.....
cgh1999
AG
I hit more traffic on 249 today. Evidently they shut the entrance ramps down this morning but they were not scheduled to do so until tonight. Once I got stuck in it, there is no where to go. It took an hour to get from Tomball to the beltway.

cgh1999
AG
quote:

The 2920 exit, southbound on 45 is exit 70. It is closed for the next six weeks. You have to take exit 72 and ride the feeder road for 2 miles. There was nothing posted about the northfound entrance ramps being closed. That is what caused my delay this morning.

Gosling and Kuykendahl will be significantly more crowded for the next few weeks
TXTransplant
I swear, how hard is it to get correct road/traffic out to people so that we can AVOID the problem instead of making it worse?

When I lived in College Station, I was driving down to my dad's in Clear Lake one Friday night. I got to I-10 and traffic was backed up due to an accident. There was a notice about the accident on one of those digital marquee signs. But, the sign was PAST the exit where you needed to get off the interstate in order to avoid the accident. The sign might as well have said "Ha, Ha, there is an accident. You're screwed!"

I just don't get why it's so difficult to give drivers accurate traffic info. I'd rather get NO information at all rather than wrong/useless information.
dave99ag
AG
We're staying in the Woodlands this weekend. So you're saying I shouldn't venture outside of the confines of Grogans?

There are days when I see 242 and Grand Parkway and just want to curl up in a fetal position.
TXTransplant
quote:
We're staying in the Woodlands this weekend. So you're saying I shouldn't venture outside of the confines of Grogans?

There are days when I see 242 and Grand Parkway and just want to curl up in a fetal position.

Honestly, it's a crapshoot. Yesterday, both Kuykendahl and Gosling were bumper to bumper from Woodlands Pkwy going south, as far as the eye could see. I think there was a wreck on southbound 45 at Spring Stuebner, so traffic was diverting from the interstate onto Gosling and Kuykendahl instead. Took me 45 min to go 8 miles, but it's usually not that bad. I rarely ever go up to 242, and on the very rare occasion that I do, I use Gosling. I also try to stay west of 45, just because once you get north of Lake Woodlands, it's such a PITA trying to get from the east side of 45 back over to the west side.

If you just want to go to the mall or Market Street area, you should be able to get there pretty easily from Grogan's Mill. I don't think there are any big events this weekend. The exception would be if there is some sort of lane closure on 45 that we haven't been told about, yet, but since this weekend is a holiday, I'm thinking it should be fully open.
The Wonderer
AG
I'll be damned. Left Augusta Pines at 8:05 and got to my office at 1960 and 45 at 8:25. Every road was empty.
dave99ag
AG
We'll probably wander over to Hugh's Landing for drinks, so I don't expect too much traffic. Usually don't venture to far out. Maybe "way" over to Research and hit Fieldings.

TXTransplant
quote:
I'll be damned. Left Augusta Pines at 8:05 and got to my office at 1960 and 45 at 8:25. Every road was empty.

Maybe people are taking a long holiday weekend? I encountered noticeably more traffic than usual going north on Kuykendahl and east on Woodlands Pkwy this morning, but it wasn't enough to make me late. On any given day it is a total crapshoot...
The Wonderer
AG
Beats me as I don't know what traffic is supposed to be like at 8am. I don't usually leave for the office until about 8:40 and it takes about 30 minutes or so at that time. Hell, today was only the second time this school year that I've seen an active school zone in the morning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.