Houston
Sponsored by

Thank you Captain Obvious (traffic related)

13,734 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Diggity
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So long as the car in front of you is within 10 feet and their break lights are on. It's ok.
7nine
Diggity
AG
MegaBus? More like MegaBust...right folks?
aTm2004
AG
quote:
There a ******* MegaBus broke the **** down on I45 N that has traffic all kinds of messed up. I didn't take a picture because I'm not a ******.

If traffic isn't moving, bust out your camera. But to be honest, nobody would give a **** since those things are expected to break down.
Texan76
quote:
quote:
Sorry if I am not sympathetic to the poor saps that decided to live in Katy that just figured out traffic is bad driving to Houston. Rather than build a new freeway through the heights, why don't you just live closer to your job?
Lets use your suggestion and say that everybody who works ITL should live ITL. Do you really want to double (possibly triple) the ITL population?

Also, paying over $600k for a house built when my parents were teens to be close to work isn't exactly something that looks appealing to me. Not to mention my house is almost paid off.
You don't like real estate appreciation? I kind of like buying something for $320k 10 years ago that is now worth twice that..

The problem with GreatSiennaLakesPlantationBridgePointLandEstatesWoodForest is that you don't get much appreciation because the dirt is so cheap.

My folks were one of the first families to move to Greatwood back in 1990. Lived on the #2 hole. They paid about $400k for that 25 years ago. They sold it for about what they paid for it 10 years later. The house sold recently for $500k. That is less than inflation.

It takes me 10-15 minutes to get to work. Don't even get on a freeway. If one way is backed up, I take the 15 other options. I am not married to one freeway.

Texan76
quote:
self driving cars can't get here soon enough. Traffic is caused by people and one tap on the brakes has knock on effects. Can't wait to get in my car, punch work address and take a nap or eat breakfast or read while it drives me at 125+ mph.
This is true. That will be the game changer.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sorry if I am not sympathetic to the poor saps that decided to live in Katy that just figured out traffic is bad driving to Houston. Rather than build a new freeway through the heights, why don't you just live closer to your job?
Lets use your suggestion and say that everybody who works ITL should live ITL. Do you really want to double (possibly triple) the ITL population?

Also, paying over $600k for a house built when my parents were teens to be close to work isn't exactly something that looks appealing to me. Not to mention my house is almost paid off.
You don't like real estate appreciation? I kind of like buying something for $320k 10 years ago that is now worth twice that..

The problem with GreatSiennaLakesPlantationBridgePointLandEstatesWoodForest is that you don't get much appreciation because the dirt is so cheap.

My folks were one of the first families to move to Greatwood back in 1990. Lived on the #2 hole. They paid about $400k for that 25 years ago. They sold it for about what they paid for it 10 years later. The house sold recently for $500k. That is less than inflation.

It takes me 10-15 minutes to get to work. Don't even get on a freeway. If one way is backed up, I take the 15 other options. I am not married to one freeway.

Weird, my house appreciated $115k according to the appraisers this year. And I live outside of 99.
Texan76
quote:
I can leave my driveway and be at the flying saucer (parked) in 17 minutes. Yes, that is going a few miles over the speed limit.
And to be fair these friends don't technically live in the heights, west of shepherd, but still itl.
What kind of helicopter do you own?
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

These 2 are on the same "loop" as my inlaws house. I'm not going to say how much he paid for it in the late-90's, but lets just agree that he can easily double his money right now.
http://houstonarea.har.com/5602-island-fern-ct/sale_55208541
http://houstonarea.har.com/1711-scenic-shore-dr/sale_78532440

Also, the thing with appreciation is you have to pay taxes on it.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Weird, my house appreciated $115k according to the appraisers this year. And I live outside of 99.
You need to understand that the loop actually bends out to encompass the Galleria and Memorial area, as well as bends north to encompass The Woodlands since it's a new/hip place with $$$.
redag06
Do I need to go pro it for those that don't believe? I live 12 miles from the saucer, have 1 traffic light and 1 stop sign.
aTm2004
AG
Do you live in Fall Creek?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I-10 West is effed. 18 wheeler hit the Waco St bridge on the east side of town. Didnt take a pic in the parking lot that is/was I-10.
aTm2004
AG
Sorry, bud. I turn off at 59, otherwise I'd snap the pic for you.
agracer
AG
quote:
It takes me 25 minutes from the middle of spring branch to Channelview. That's with a stop at Starbucks.
That's 30-miles...so BS.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
22 miles, mostly freeway
Panama Red
AG
What part of Humble is 12 miles from Flying Saucer?
aTm2004
AG
If it's the Pie Co, then Fall Creek (randomly selected house) is 17 miles, and that's taking 610. It's 15 miles when you take your chance on Crosstimbers.
Jock 07
AG
Didn't read the whole thread but I concur about 35 W up in Ft Worth. My wife's folks live up off of Eagle Mountain Lake up there and I've learned in the past couple of years to avoid that train wreck.
redag06
Not sure why my phone showed 12.5 earlier. ATM2004 is correct, it is less than 17 miles. Google maps currently shows it taking 20 minutes, who actually drives the speed limit?
I was talking about the saucer draught emporium(pretty much as downtown as you can get)
BMX Bandit
which is still longer than it takes to get their from the Heights, or even Timbergrove. not sure why you are doubling down on your BS claim.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
which is still longer than it takes to get their from the Heights, or even Timbergrove. not sure why you are doubling down on your BS claim.
Dude...

VS

agracer
AG
quote:
22 miles, mostly freeway
You average almost 60mph in your neighborhood, in Starbucks and your company parking lot.....
BMX Bandit
Agracer must be a detective!
Scientific
AG
as lomg as people keep coming & comimg its only to keep getting worse. The more the merrier has been the city's motto post recession.
TXTransplant
I, unfortunately, had to go from The Woodlands to Clear Lake and back again today. Left The Woodlands at about 1220 pm. Traffic was not too bad...made it to the I-45 south and 610 interchange in about an hour. And that's when everything came to a grinding halt. It was bumber to bumper across 4 lanes, averaging about 20 mph from the I-45 south/610 interchange all the way to NASA Rd 1. That part of the trip took almost another hour. No wreck. No broken down vehicle. Just idiot drivers who can't merge without bringing four lanes of traffic to a complete stop in the construction zone where 45 goes from four lanes to three lanes at about the Ellington field exit. Thankfully, coming back only took about an hour 15, even with some rain.
Alex Bregman
AG
How many more millions will be added to the metro by 2030 again? Will we have a single commuter rail by then?

I get the hate for light rail, metro, etc. But we're going to need some alternatives sooner rather than later. What highways will be realistically expandable after 290 and 288 are finished?
Jules_Winnfield
HOV VIOLATION trap on HOV lane westbound on I 10... 4 cops in a row around IKEA
aTm2004
AG
That's not a speed trap, that's a HOV violation trap that's been happening for about a month now. I know the inbound lanes are HOV/Toll, but not sure about outbound during afternoon rush hour.
Diggity
AG
I was just reminded of these traffic threads as I was heading down 59 South to 610 North.

Amongst the gaggle of *******s flying around me to cut in at the last minute was none other than our own Tony Buzbee, vanity plates and all, with some sort of carbon fiber looking Benz.

At the last minute, I see him bounce out of the line like he was rejected by Mutombo and wonder what the hell is going on for Tony to give up. I pull up a little further to see Houston's finest ticketing people for cutting in. Smart move Tony!

/cool story bro

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.