Houston
Sponsored by

TV / Internet / Electric Providers - The Woodlands

1,336 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TX scallywAG
HalifaxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving back to Texas after 10 years in purgatory...

What are the best options for TV, ISP and Electric in the The Woodlands these days?

I have been using Direct TV for the last 10 years and pretty happy with them, but willing to try something else with this move. I would consider cutting the cord, but I like my sports too much.

I also prefer maximum internet performance. I don't mind paying for not having to wait on my ISP.

Electric however is a complete unknown...would appreciate any help with that one.
TXTransplant
Where are you in The Woodlands? If your in Montgomery Co, you don't have a choice...it's Entergy. If you live in Harris Co, you can go to powertochoose.org and find the cheapest provider (although, I've had pretty good luck lately with Reliant, if you know what to ask for)

For cable/Internet, I think most people have either ATT Uverse or Comcast Xfinity. I have a love/hate relationship with Uverse, but it's cheap so I've stuck with it. My neighbors have Xfinity and laughed at the rest of us when we complained about ATT. We had some issues specific to our 'hood, though, and they seem to have been resolved.
HalifaxAg
AG
It will be Montgomery County for sure...Can you elaborate on the AT&T issues?
StillNotAnAggie
I live in Montgomery county and don't have Energy. You can use powertochoose.org to find your options but you need the ID from your power meter.
TXTransplant
Yeah, the Township website isn't really clear on who is deregulated and who is not. I had thought that if you pay taxes to the Township and live in Montgomery County, you have to use Entergy, but I could be wrong. Everyone I know personally who lives in 77380, 77381, and 77382 has Entergy. But if you go to powertochoose.org and type those zip codes, you get results like the areas are deregulated. Since service is really address-specific (not zip code-specific), you should probably ask a neighbor to be sure.

A quick search, and this was the most specific info I could find about utilities. It's a realtor's webpage
http://www.riannesanchez.com/utilities-directory-the-woodlands/

We had service outage issues with ATT in my cul de sac. They went on for the better part of 6-9 months, and everytime anyone called, we'd get the standard, "unplug/plug your box back in and if that doesn't work, we will send someone out to replace it" schtick. We were having service outages that lasted days, usually about once a month, and bad weather/rain made it worse. Finally a local tech realized it was a problem with our main line. We haven't really had any problems since that got fixed.
TX scallywAG
AG
My setup in that area:

Internet: Comcast XFinity
TV: Dish
Electric: PennyWise Electric

I had Comcast TV bundled and I was really unhappy. Dish actually came out cheaper for me than bundling Comcast TV. Dish is typically about 30% cheaper than Direct.

If you do go Dish, here's a referral code to save $50: VCD0013263425

• Your friend will receive a $5 credit each month for the first 10 months of service
    • You will get $5 off your bill for the next 10 months for each friend that becomes a DISH customer

GOOD LUCK & WELCOME BACK TO TEXAS!
    ---
    Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
    Dill-Ag13
    AG
    I live in Sterling Ridge.

Electric is Bounce
    Gas is Centerpoint
    Internet is AT&T DSL which sucks
    TV is DirecTV
    The Wonderer
    AG
    DirecTV bundled with AT&T Uverse for internet
    HalifaxAg
    AG
    We found a house in the Terramont area in Sterling Ridge...will be looking with much more interest now.
    TX scallywAG
    AG
    Didn't see any mention of security. Check out Smith Thompson. $16.95 a month. No phone line required (uses a 3G signal to call out). No contract. You can pay 11 months in advance, get 1 month free.

Let me know if you make use of that Dish referral code

Looks like you may be getting ATT Internet according to post above but ISPs vary by street/area in my neighborhood so be sure to put in calls & ask new neighbors.
    ---
    Gig-Em2003
    AG
    I just used your referral code and saved $50. Thanks!
    TX scallywAG
    AG
    quote:
    I just used your referral code and saved $50. Thanks!

Awesome. Happy to help. Works out well for both of us. I'm still very happy with Dish! Enjoy it. DL the app now and utilize the Hoppers built in Sling Box.

Also just saw above it was mentioned if you're in Montgomery County, you're stuck with Entergy. Perhaps in Woodlands but to be clear that isn't true everywhere in Mont Co. I'm in Spring, in Mont Co, 2 miles from Woodlands, & use power to choose
    ---
    TX scallywAG
    AG
    FYI, those referral codes are good once. New one below if anyone else needs it

-------
    With DISH Refer a Friend, a current DISH customer and a friend can BOTH save $50 when the friend signs up for DISH!

Here's how it works:

Don't have DISH yet? Sign up and save $50:
    Call 855-318-6900 or visit dish.com/refer to order DISH.
    Provide your unique Refer a Friend certificate number (VCD0014328142) at the time of order. This $50 offer is otherwise invalid.
    ---
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.