Houston
Sponsored by

Electricity & Natural Gas Providers

1,923 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by mm98
tmaggie50
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im setting up these services for my home. Im wondering who you guys use. Do y'all price out these things or just take the first person you call?

We called Ambit and got a $.09/kw 1-yr locked rate offer. I have no idea if that is good or bad though.
Who else would you call?

The current Natural Gas provider is Center Point

TIA
LostInLA07
AG
You have no choice on natural gas. Go to powertochoose.org for electric.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Im setting up these services for my home. Im wondering who you guys use. Do y'all price out these things or just take the first person you call?

We called Ambit and got a $.09/kw 1-yr locked rate offer. I have no idea if that is good or bad though.
Who else would you call?

The current Natural Gas provider is Center Point

TIA
you need to know more info than just the quoted rate. is that $0.09/kw for more than 1,000 kw per month? are there other fees?
tmaggie50
AG
Thanks for the website!

Is there any real difference between power companies? Is customer service or actual power providing issues with some of the companies you never hear of? these may be idiotic questions, but Ive never looked into it, just always taken the big named company that I call first.

Is there any general suggestions I should be aware of when reviewing a term sheet and policy? Or is everything just generic, and I need to just sign and go
tmaggie50
AG
Thanks!
LostInLA07
AG
It's the same power and CenterPoint still provides all line maintenance, etc. All those companies do is generate your bill and accept your payment. There isn't going to be a situation where Ambit customers lose power but Reliant customers don't. And if the company fails (goes out of business) you are switched to the "provider of last resort".
TXTransplant
In addition to the kWh rate, make sure you ask about additional fees. For example, it is common for providers to charge an extra $9.99/month in the months when you use <1000 kWh. Also, does that rate include the Centerpoint delivery charges? I just locked in a contract that charges 4.6 cents per kWH plus the delivery fees. When I factor the delivery fees in, that brings my average price (based on my usage) to about 9-10 cents per kWh. But I know there are plans/providers who charge 8-10 cents per kWh not including the delivery fees, which would bring the total rate up to something like 12 cents per kWh. You've got to make sure you understand the rate you are quoted.
Boats and Hose
AG
We left reliant and switched over to Infinite Energy. Haven't had any problems so far and we've got a pretty cheap rate. I would recommend them.
bevokilla
AG
We just switched to Infinite as well as they had the cheapest rates on powertochoose
GoneGirl
AG
Please make sure you are on powertochoose.org (.org)

If you google "power to choose" you might get "ChooseTexasPower.org" which is a for-profit company that markets specific providers (if you look waaaay down on the bottom of the page it says that they are not affiliated with the PUC or Powertochoose.org - but are Save on energy LLC ) which is fine, but they do a lot of work to act like they are the real non-commercial powertochoose.
pnut02
AG
Someone linked to this Excel spreadsheet previously - very beneficial on making a decision based on past usage.

http://www.xlhelp.com/Excel/Electric.htm
devastor
AG
quote:
Someone linked to this Excel spreadsheet previously - very beneficial on making a decision based on past usage.

That was me :-)

Powerful spreadsheet . Let me know if you have any questions on it.

At this point of the year, do not get 3 month plan, go for at least a 6 month plan. 3 month would put you are the middle of the summer, when you will have to do this excerise again and the rates will be at its highest.
mm98
AG
quote:
quote:

That was me :-)

Powerful spreadsheet . Let me know if you have any questions on it.

At this point of the year, do not get 3 month plan, go for at least a 6 month plan. 3 month would put you are the middle of the summer, when you will have to do this excerise again and the rates will be at its highest.
Yep. Get one that ends in fall or spring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.