Houston
Sponsored by

Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery

3,726 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by third coast..
exp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, looks like the Astros were right not to sign this guy for top money. Still wish they would have taken Rodon.
Mustang1
AG
Wow wow wow. At least they get #2 pick this yr.
jetch17
AG
lolstros
BarryProfit
WES2006AG
AG
Sounds like the Astros made the right choice demanding he take less money. Gives me a little confidence that maybe the organization does know what they are doing.
cajunaggie08
AG
I'm glad we didn't throw top money at him with a pre-existing condition. Of course I'm sure that will come back to bite us in the ass when he fully heals and is somehow in the rangers organization and dominates us. So does he hope to get drafted this year? I'm sure someone will take a risk on him and draft him in a later round, but I would think he still wants that first round money.
Farmer1906
AG
The way they were talking about him on the radio, he's still expected to go early. Even though it was less than slot, the Astros offered him a decent offer(5 million?) and by him not taking it we missed on signing a few later round guys.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I wish they would have done their due diligence before drafting him and screwing up the rest of the draft. At least they did not compound their screw up by giving him a ton of money. The old regime would have kept digging the hole somehow.
JFrench
AG
Pretty sure the elbow issue arose after the physical. Which can only be done after the draft. At least they get compensation with 2nd pick this year. The bigger issue was losing slot money for Nix.

Imagine Rodon instead. Regardless, not many are paying attention but Stros should be strong soon with money to spend.

He should have taken the money and gotten free surgery and rehab since he knew.
MAROON
AG
quote:
I wish they would have done their due diligence before drafting him and screwing up the rest of the draft. At least they did not compound their screw up by giving him a ton of money. The old regime would have kept digging the hole somehow.
you do realize they are not allowed to do any medical tests on prospects until after the draft don't you?
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
you do realize they are not allowed to do any medical tests on prospects until after the draft don't you?

It's pretty obvious when people that have no idea what they are talking about.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Well crap.

Sounds like a pretty effed up system.

I have a somewhat related question, since the experts are around. The draft occurs before the college world series, can/do the drafted guys sign with the teams that drafted them, and then go play in the CWS, or do they have to wait to sign until after?
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's pretty obvious when people that don't complete their sentences.
7nine
themissinglink
AG
Those players sign with a team after the CWS. However, the bonus is usually agreed upon in advance through discussions with the player's agent adviser.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I blame Rick Smith
themissinglink
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Teams can ask for players to complete a physical pre-draft. I would guess few players would agree to it. There is some sort of pre-draft medical evaluation done by mlb prior to the draft for top players, but I would be very surprised if this included an MRI. A handful of players recovery from injury have had physicals performed pre-draft to try to prove they were healthy.

EDIT: MAROON clarified below. Players can have a physical performed, provided this information is provided to all teams.
MAROON
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

From the collective bargaining agreement:
quote:
Medical Records/Post-Draft Physical Examinations,
College Scholarship, Bonus Recoupment, and NCAA1. Medical RecordsThe top 200 prospects identified by the Major League Baseball Scouting Bureau will participate in a Pre-Draft Medical Program. If selected, the players will be required to provide to the Major League Scouting Bureau all pre-existing medical records relating to their physical condition, including MRIs, X-Rays and CT Scans. The records will be provided to Clubs through Major League Baseball's Electronic Medical Records system ("EMR"). A player in this group may not provide additional medical information to one Club (including submitting to a pre-draft physical) without providing all other Clubs who request it with the same access to the information. If a player selected for the Program refuses to provide the medical information required of participants in the Program, he shall be prohibited from providing or disclosing medical information to any Club.

2. Post-Draft Physical Examination(a) The drafted player submits to a complete physical examination conducted by the Club before an agreement is reached on the terms of a Minor League UPC; or(b) The Player and the Club reach a tentative agreement on a Minor League UPC, which is contingent on the Player passing a complete physical examination conducted by the Club, and the Player successfully passes the physical examination (including the reporting of all test results) prior to the deadline

I stand sort of corrected. MLB clubs can do pre-draft tests, but they are rarely done because all clubs then need to be provided access. Agents would probably not let that happen. Aiken was required to turn over medical records. But if there was no existing MRI or x-ray of his UCL then no one would no about it until after the draft. Considering his pre-draft ranking I'm assuming those records did not exist and no one including the Astros knew about it or could they under the rules.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
So basically, yall can kiss my ass.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
So basically, yall can kiss my ass.
JFrench
AG
Aiken and players association lead the charge. Context clues would leave one to believe the physical was after. We might have known there was an issue and tried to make a deal we knew we could back out on a counter but not at the sake of losing Nix in my opinion. they hononered a verbal agreement with the same agency that represented both so they didn't lose future picks. This club isn't making a 1.5 million guess though. I suppose either way you win. Neither player nor agency comes out ahead though.

Should have drafted rodon in that case if true. that draft had enough quality to not put yourself in position for a consolation.

They get paid though. We post on speculation.

I swear I have to edit everything. This phone is a genius
Texaggie7nine
Dude was offered 5 mil bonus right before the deadline?

No sympathy at all for him.
7nine
JJxvi
AG
I don't think the Astros wanted Aiken at all after they drafted him and saw the issue. At that point they were only concerned about 1) losing Nix if they didn't sign Aiken and 2) making sure they offered Aiken enough that a rejection would result in a compensation pick.

Aiken and his agent misread the whole thing. They viewed it as a the Astros pulling a money thing and decided to take this risk. If they would have been honest with themselves and realized that Aiken's arm did have legitimate issues, then they would have realized that what the Astros were actually offering them was actually leveraged higher than what the Astros thought he was worth and also higher than what he was likely to get from some other team the following year also because the Astros wanted to sign Nix.
Z100
AG
Sounds like Aiken's agent screwed this up. If Aiken signs with Astros he gets $5 million and the Astros pay for his surgery/re-hab plus he has 'started' his major league career which counts for something if he ever negotiates contract # 2. Did I miss something?
gougler08
AG
quote:
Sounds like Aiken's agent screwed this up. If Aiken signs with Astros he gets $5 million and the Astros pay for his surgery/re-hab plus he has 'started' his major league career which counts for something if he ever negotiates contract # 2. Did I miss something?

Nope, Aiken and team really messed up on this one. I would also love to see all the writers come back and apologize for vilifying the Astros last year, but that will never happen
Z100
AG
Makes me have more faith that the Astros brain trust knows what they are doing. There were plenty of writers and analysts (former players) calling Crane and Lunhow out about Aiken. Apology? *crickets*
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.