Houston
Sponsored by

Urologist

6,912 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by JYDog90
SnowboardAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anyone recommend a good urologist in Houston - kidney stone related.
txaggie02
AG
I had three kidney stones last week. First time to ever have them in my life. Holy ****! They hurt like hell so I feel for you. I am in Katy and went to Dr. Schiffman in Sugar Land. I think he offices out of their Houston location as well. Supposedly, Dr. Baum is pretty good too. Baum was recommended to me was but was out of the office when I had mine.

http://www.hmutx.com/bio_schiffman.php

http://www.hmutx.com/bio_baum.php
Jack Klompus
AG
I saw Dr. Renner with Kelsey Seybold at their main campus. Old guy who has seen it all. I had a hard time keeping a straight face at some of the stuff you hear in the exam rooms next door.
SnowboardAg
AG
Mine came up in an ultrasound on my liver and I have 1 large one and 1 small one. Can you give any advice txaggie? How long did it take for yours to pass, what did you do / would you do? Did you do pain meds?
Jack Cheese
AG
T&P for your urethra.

Actually, the painful part is the tube between your kidney and bladder. If still in your kidney, I have heard they can pulverize them sonically. If they are on the move, the only option (as of a few years ago when I had mine) is to go up your weenus, but it's better to just let em pass if you can. Can take a few days.

Dr Sukin in Tomball is a good guy, has a sense of humor at least.

If you are passing them the old fashioned way, the emergency room can be real expensive and all they're likely to do is give you pain meds through an IV. Decide whether that's wort it, or just go get a script for strong pain meds from your urologist and gut it out.

Good luck.
txaggie02
AG
It all started a couple Thursdays ago. I woke up and when I went to the restroom my urine was a red/brown color. I had food poisoning earlier in the week and had been really sick for three days. Couldn't keep any food or water down, so figured I might have a urinary tract infection. I took a shower, got dressed, and was going to swing by the Rediclinic at HEB before heading into work. Before I could get out the door, I had the worst pain of my life. Excrutiating pain in my lower back and groin and was sweating bad. Couldn't even stand up. This went on for a couple hours. Had to lay down in the bath tub in hot water to make it through the pain. No way I could drive myself to urgent care, so I call the wife home from work. By the time she got home, I was feeling better and we went to urgent care facility. They took a urine sample and said I was really dehydrated which makes since after being sick earlier that week. They gave me 3-hours of IVs and took x-rays to send off to the radiologist. Sure enough, there were three kidney stones but they were all out of my kidneys and at the very end of my ureter (tube that connects your kidneys to your bladder). Given the location, he said that my pain was most likely my body pushing the stones out of my kidneys and that I should pass them within a couple days. Dehydration is a major cause of kidney stones, so he said that was most likely the cause and not my diet. Couldn't get into the urologist until that following Monday, so urgent care prescribed pain pills and some other medication for nausea. I felt fine all weekend, but had quite a few times that I felt like I really needed to to a leak, but couldn't. The urologist sent me to get a CT scan to confirm I had already passed them and sure enough I had. Only felt one leave my system which was not a pleasant experience either. Felt like I was pissing glass. Urologist said that the reason I felt like I had to pee, but couldn't was because one or more of the kidney stones had lodged in the ureter. There was urine ready to leave my system, but it couldn't make it past the stone(s) to my bladder and was backing up towards my kidney. I had heard some horror stories about kidney stones and I can tell you that those people weren't lying. Not a fun experience. Best of luck to you!
SnowboardAg
AG
So my one question is mine are currently in the kidney. Knowing that - when you say they can be zapped does that mean they're zapped to the point that it's part of the normal process of peeing and not felt, or zapped and still felt? I wish my appointment was today but its not till Monday. Thanks all for the feedback.
Jack Klompus
AG
I have one in my kidney that is 7 mm in diameter (which is borderline too big to pass), and its not moving at the present time. My doc said to come back about once a year to see if it moves any. Or I can have the lithotripsy (sonic waves) to pulverize it, but that makes it into smaller pieces which can pass.

Only reason I knew it was there was because I was pissing blood for a day, and now, my urine and everything check out normal, except I have the stone.
Jack Cheese
AG
quote:
So my one question is mine are currently in the kidney. Knowing that - when you say they can be zapped does that mean they're zapped to the point that it's part of the normal process of peeing and not felt, or zapped and still felt? I wish my appointment was today but its not till Monday. Thanks all for the feedback.

Yes, I believe breaking it up with the sonic waves causes it to pass through painlessly. I think many people pee out tiny ones without ever being aware.
Jack Cheese
AG
Oh God, txaggie02 you are making me have flashbacks. Like the hair on my neck stands up remembering that pain. (Not all of mine have been the same).

There are several causes. Mine are due to too much sodium and calcium in my diet, but drinking buckets of water keeps everything flushed out good and tidy.
SnowboardAg
AG
Thanks again for the response. I'm 36 and have no family history, but I have most recently (within the last 2-3 years) really been focusing on diet. I wasn't the best water drinker and dehydration is not it, but I did have to take some potent medication that I'm sure did not help with it.
txaggie02
AG
Drink water with lime or lemon juice in it. Everything I've read says it helps prevent kidney stones.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If you are on the south side of town, www.houstonurology.com
SnowboardAg
AG
Apple cider vinegar as well txaggie02
txaggie02
AG
Cool. Didn't know that. I guess the acids in those breaks down uric acids which cause kidney stones.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I have one in my kidney that is 7 mm in diameter (which is borderline too big to pass), and its not moving at the present time. My doc said to come back about once a year to see if it moves any. Or I can have the lithotripsy (sonic waves) to pulverize it, but that makes it into smaller pieces which can pass.

Only reason I knew it was there was because I was pissing blood for a day, and now, my urine and everything check out normal, except I have the stone.

7mm? BORDERLINE TOO BIG TO PASS? That's more than 1/4"!
FlyFish95
David Kent in Katy or MIchael Lewitton in the med center.
Jack Klompus
AG
Anything about 6 mm or less is capable of being passed. Sure, its not ideal having something that large come out of your peepee hole, but it can be done.

If you're talking diamonds, something that is 7 mm is around 1.25 carats.
SnowboardAg
AG
I have one that is 5mm and one that is 9mm. I just want it to remain dormant till I can get them pulverized.
txaggie02
AG
Yikes! 9mm is pretty good size. Hell, 5mm is good size. I passed one that was 23mm but after looking at my CT scan, the urologist said he can understand why I didn't feel it.
Quailmeezy
AG
I am a PhD student in the med center and some of the research I am working on involves kidney stones and the summer months (specifically predicting high risk days for renal colic emergency room visits and conducting some exploratory analysis on environmental covariates). Heat (and resulting dehydration) can put a lot of stress on the kidneys. So all of you who are at high risk for stones really need to make sure and drink a ton of water during the warm months of the year.

...Your friendly public health PSA
pilot
AG
Dr. Kent is a good guy.
88jrt06
AG
Metro Urology - Dr. Goldfarb (Sr.)

Had 5-6 mm last yr....off to free standing ER.
ER Doc spotted it on CT scan...said it would pass soon. Relative term, I guess.

Twenty-three days later went to Goldfarb. He said, "That's WAY too long, kidney risk, pulverize ASAP."
Set procedure for two days later...THE NIGHT BEFORE, there it is right in the bowl. I guess it was scared out of me! Twenty four days.

Remember, OP, need to get the stone(s) analyzed. Two major types, which will definitely affect your recommended diet going forward. Mine was the most common (calcium). What you have to limit in your diet is almost counter-intuitive! Me? No spinach (that's quite bad), no soymilk (or soy-products), fewer nuts
and so on. Romaine lettuce? No problem. But, spinach.... As noted, Lemonade w/real lemons was highly recommended for my "type".

Good luck.
FCBlitz
Dr. Tung Shu

Absolutely the best guys. I had a kidney stone 11mm in dia. Took 4 attempts to
blow it up. It laughed at Ultra Sound. Needed a laser to take care of it.
jetch17
AG
This thread makes my peehole hurt
aTm2004
AG
I've had 3 (last one was 11mm) and used Dr. Michael Graham with Northwoods Urology.
bigjag19
AG
quote:
This thread makes my peehole hurt

The board was finally starting to recover some...
SnowboardAg
AG
So I saw the urologist today. He did a pee test and confirmed based on my current pH that it's most likely a calcium stones. Had a ct scan later in the afternoon and following up again early Monday. I'm zapping these things next week. I'm hoping that they hold tight in my kidney till then.
Ray Guy
AG
Munah Hawila eot
aTm2004
AG
Good luck. You should start mentally preparing yourself to piss blood for a day or so. Oh, and then there's the stone that was broken up...that has to come out as well.
SnowboardAg
AG
Quick update: spent 2 days with the urologist and I have 1 stone 4-6mm and multiple stones 1-2mm (approx. 4). Weird thing is the ct scan showed one larger one in my tube between kidney and bladder but I don't feel it. Docs recommendation is hydrate and do nothing now. Call if I'm in pain and they may go up the weenus to extract. Follow-up is in 6 months. I'm also doing a 24 hr urine test to see if the diet needs changes.

On another note my chiropractor recommended gallbladder nano detox for 2-3 months as he think this will kill them. Herbals are controversial so I'll report back when I know more.
jetch17
txaggie02
AG
quote:
up the weenus

This is the point where you look at the doctor and just say....."**** it. Just take my whole kidney out."
SnowboardAg
AG
quote:
quote:
up the weenus

This is the point where you look at the doctor and just say....."**** it. Just take my whole kidney out."

The only reason I would consider is severe pain with the larger stone and I would be under general anaesthetic.
The Milkman
AG
So you're asking about my-ologist?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.