Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2015

65,712 Views | 514 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Sooper Jeenyus
El Duke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Market Value up $134,000 and Appraised Value up 10%. w t fudge.

This is in the Heights.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
w t fudge.

This is in the Heights.

That's the fudge
sts7049
AG
ugh.

2013:
appraised - 215k

2014:
appraised - 240k (purchase price)
market - 240k (purchase price, fought this down)

2015:
appraised - 264k
market - 286k
drumboy
AG
Market up from $310 (after protesting it using Jubally) to $378 and luckily homesteaded so Appraised only went up 10% to $302.
RangerRick9211
AG
OF:

Market: +$93,173
Appraised: at the cap
spark09
AG
My appraised value went up $36,000, and an almost identical house two doors down just sold for about $65,000 less than that number after sitting on the market for around 7 months. I have heard horror stories about the protest process. Do y'all think they will actually take some real numbers into consideration?
stroodles
AG
Sounds like most of us are in the same boat.

My market price is up $115K. Appraised maxed at 10%. The difference between my market and appraised is over $150K. I dont think its worth the fight for me.
drumboy
AG
quote:
My appraised value went up $36,000, and an almost identical house two doors down just sold for about $65,000 less than that number after sitting on the market for around 7 months. I have heard horror stories about the protest process. Do y'all think they will actually take some real numbers into consideration?

Yes, but there are variations based on remodel/grade etc. My neighbor's house is almost 50% bigger but appraised lower since its in fair condition with a partial remodel and mine is average with extensive remodel.
drumboy
AG
quote:

My market price is up $115K. Appraised maxed at 10%. The difference between my market and appraised is over $150K. I dont think its worth the fight for me.

If all of your neighbors protested the market would go down.
The Catfish
AG
I am a new homeowner in Oak Forrest and dealing with this crap for the first time...quick question/wisdom seeking:

I bought the house in 2014 for $325k. I filed for homestead in January 2015 since the house already had homestead in 2014 (never heard anything back, but I guess I didn't expect to). The appraised value went up $145k to $370k and the market went up $68k to $370k.

I assume my best course of action is to just protest it back down to purchase price? Any other tips or ideas? How do I know I have the homestead exemption in place?
drumboy
AG
quote:
I am a new homeowner in Oak Forrest and dealing with this crap for the first time...quick question/wisdom seeking:

I bought the house in 2014 for $325k. I filed for homestead in January 2015 since the house already had homestead in 2014 (never heard anything back, but I guess I didn't expect to). The appraised value went up $145k to $370k and the market went up $68k to $370k.

I assume my best course of action is to just protest it back down to purchase price? Any other tips or ideas? How do I know I have the homestead exemption in place?

Take your closing statement to the informal and it should get lowered to purchase price.
RangerRick9211
AG
We bought in OF in 13'. This will be your gap year before the cap takes place. Ours was +$60k last year above what we payed; protested at informal w/ closing documents and that's what they set the market and appraised at.

You can also check homestead on your property account page on HCAD under "Exemption Type". Should say "Residential Homestead".
Furlock Bones
AG
Spring Branch

market value up $115,685
appraised up 10% cap

****ing dildos
The Catfish
AG
Thanks Ranger and drumboy...that's what I figured.

My exemption type does say residential homestead, however it has said that since I purchased the house. I guess I just want confirmation my application was received and approved and that the homestead is now under my name.
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:

What about next year? I'm a large gap as well but will protest the market in hopes of not hitting the cap in the years following.
rjamizon
Mine (ITL) only went up $9,000. Until further notice, I win.
chuckd
AG
2012 - $112,583
2013 - $122,807
2014 - $200,000
2015 - $262,831
TXTransplant
quote:
Thanks Ranger and drumboy...that's what I figured.

My exemption type does say residential homestead, however it has said that since I purchased the house. I guess I just want confirmation my application was received and approved and that the homestead is now under my name.

Just call HCAD to be sure, they will tell you. I had to do this because there was no HE in place when I purchased and they really dragged their feet when it came to updating the status on my online account. I started to get worried, but when I called, they confirmed I did have it in place, even though the account status hadn't yet been updated.

Market up to $350631 from $298972
Appraised up to $328869 from $298972. Full 10% increase.
tamuags08
AG
Cypress
Up the 10% max
jswags
AG
Same 10% max here in Cypress
Furlock Bones
AG
checked my brother's in the woodlands. up 10%. they are just ram rodding us with no vaseline.
El Duke
Our HCAD account was all screwed up in 2013/2014 so I ended up protesting 2013 taxes in summer of 2014 just one week before I was to protest 2014.

Went in for 2013 and showed the HCAD lady that they had my neighborhood codes messed up and asked that they correct them. It was pulling comps from 77055 and I was 77008. She agreed it was their error and gave me the value I requested. GREAT Experience!

A week later I went in to fight 2014. I explained what I just went through a week earlier(neighborhood codes were wrong, etc.) and the girl called me a liar. Asked me to tell her what I paid for the house and desperately tried to find the sales price on har/homesnap/etc. When she couldn't find it she became visibly angry that I would not tell her the sales price. She asked me to leave and said she was done with me. I had said maybe 10 words.
cajunaggie08
AG
Up 7% in copperfield. Looks like they hit up all my neighbors too.
pasquale
AG
cypress- up 10% max
gougler08
AG
Montrose - up 10% max but the house next to me just sold for over the market value my house got so mine won't be changing at all
Dr. Horrible
Market up 25%.

One of my friends had a 62% increase.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
I'm afraid this is going to hurt the housing market. People are going to begin getting gun shy over what their tax bill will possibly look like a couple years down the road(not to mention what it looks like now), and be willing to spend accordingly. Additionally, i think you'll see more inventory start showing up in the areas hit the hardest where older folks live that arent willing/able to pay ~$30k ptax bills yoy. Those houses will sit until they're priced at levels the earlier mentioned folks decide to start buying.

They should've tapered down the increases this year.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
This should be an interesting year.....
AggieT
AG
Pending...
stroodles
AG
quote:
I'm afraid this is going to hurt the housing market. People are going to begin getting gun shy over what their tax bill will possibly look like a couple years down the road(not to mention what it looks like now), and be willing to spend accordingly. Additionally, i think you'll see more inventory start showing up in the areas hit the hardest where older folks live that arent willing/able to pay ~$30k ptax bills yoy. Those houses will sit until they're priced at levels the earlier mentioned folks decide to start buying.

They should've tapered down the increases this year.

You want the government to not reach as far into your pocket as possible? HA!

I can almost guarantee you that unless there is a major downturn that we will see the same in 2016.
Hoyt Ag
AG
What a riot.

Market - 370K
Appraisal - 370K

Market - 432K
Appraisal - 407K
aggiemike02
AG
market up ~60k
appraisal up 10%

Heights.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
They bumped the land line in my neighborhood up from $35/ft to $50/ft. I don't know how many of you have ever tried arguing residential valued land, but let's just say they arent willing to look at it.

Might as well get rid of the improvement value line altogether and lump the whole mf in the land line. Then they'll be able to do whatever tf they'd like consequence-free. Rubber stamps for everyone. Thanks for coming out!
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
quote:

I can almost guarantee you that unless there is a major downturn that we will see the same in 2016.
It's already started and this will accelerate it IMO.
stroodles
AG
quote:
quote:

What about next year? I'm a large gap as well but will protest the market in hopes of not hitting the cap in the years following.

I thought about that, but it will already take the district several years before the appraised value gets to what they call my market value. And what they call my market value is about $100K below what houses are going for. I could try, but I think that I would be spinning my wheels.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.