Houston
Sponsored by

Uber ride home to the Upper East Side from the Rodeo costs $500

8,631 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Plus, the reporters are probably being pushed by the cab companies to push these stories.

I don't think cab companies are that smart.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
The people willing to pay $500 for a ride that distance arent going to want to wait over an hour for a cab.

Who waits for a cab at rodeo? You just walk up the street a couple hundred feet before the cabs hafta get into line and hop in
MichaelJ
AG
What this all boils down to is an OTL'er trying and failing to properly use what is clearly an ITL application on a cell phone.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I ran into a drunk guy and his wife just outside of fenced area of the stadium and the wife was extremely distraught and on the verge of tears. They're phones were dead and he was on the ground and she couldn't get him up. I tried to help her charge her phone, but my portable charger was dead. I finally said screw it and ordered an Uber on my account for them since they were staying at ZaZa and I figured it would be like $60 to there. I gave her my business card and told her that hopefully they'd text me to get my info to repay me. Sure enough they did and they sent PayPal double what the fare was. #WINNING

The surge was 5.9 when I ordered it for them.
AggieTJ
AG
Here's what an Uber driver told me this past weekend: after they pick you up, have them drop you off a few miles away (like at a Whataburger for instance - you know you'll be hungry). Then, just call for another Uber. Since you're out of the surge zone or whatever, the ride will be a more reasonable normal amount.
drumboy
AG
quote:
Here's what an Uber driver told me this past weekend: after they pick you up, have them drop you off a few miles away (like at a Whataburger for instance - you know you'll be hungry). Then, just call for another Uber. Since you're out of the surge zone or whatever, the ride will be a more reasonable normal amount.

Yep, that why I said the B should have gotten a beer in midtown.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I like that. Thinking outside the box.

Makes sense too. A driver could probably make more than $500 on multiple fares inside the surge zone in the amount of time it takes to get somebody from NRG to the Upper East Side & back thus you've got to incentivize somebody to make that run.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
quote:
$500. < DWI < crowded light rail
Diggity
AG
quote:
quote:

Makes sense too. A driver could probably make more than $500 on multiple fares inside the surge zone in the amount of time it takes to get somebody from NRG to the Upper East Side & back thus you've got to incentivize somebody to make that run.
How do you know the size of the surge zones in order to be dropped off right outside of it? If Uber drivers are given the choice of a fare in a surge zone or one right outside of it, don't they take the surge zone every time?
The Milkman
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

How do you know the size of the surge zones in order to be dropped off right outside of it? If Uber drivers are given the choice of a fare in a surge zone or one right outside of it, don't they take the surge zone every time?

But as soon as there are enough drivers it isn't a surge zone
Diggity
AG
But the drivers don't know when that will happen.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
But the drivers don't know when that will happen.

This. Per my driver the other day it's all based on an algorithm and when demand for drivers exceeds supply surge pricing kicks in. Once demand goes back down and equals supply it stops. It's also be a time factor as well and not just an area.

She coulda killed time sleeping in the port-a-chitter until demand came back down and she would've been fine.
TriAg2010
AG
quote:
There's no way a ride from NRG to Humble should cost $500.

Cost =/= price. HTH
DRE06
AG
quote:
quote:
$500. < DWI < crowded light rail
debatable. Light rail was ****ing awesome

My good friend met his wife on the light rail after BBQ cook off about 6 years ago.
Guitarsoup
AG
Looks like Uber has apologized.
IrishTxAggie
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.