Houston
Sponsored by

Uber ride home to the Upper East Side from the Rodeo costs $500

8,680 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.click2houston.com/news/uber-user-charged-500-for-30mile-ride-home-from-rodeo-event/31574836

MrJonMan
AG
Outrageous? Yes. However, if you don't ask for a fare quote prior to rising then you're an idiot....esp I ally when taking the nicer car.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Outrageous? Yes. However, if you don't ask for a fare quote prior to rising then you're an idiot....esp I ally when taking the nicer car.
On Uber, if surge pricing is more than 2, you are required to type in the surge pricing on the app to acknowledge that you know you are going to pay that multiplier on the fare. Her surcharge was 4.4. So she had to physically acknowledge her surcharge or she couldn't have taken the ride.

No pity.
CrossBowAg99
AG
If you have a problem with this then you are a communist

EOT
Diggity
AG
these have to be some of the laziest news stories out there today.
drumboy
AG
Now my BILs $300 ride to Brooklyn on NYE doesn't seem so bad.
agmatt06
AG
quote:
quote:
On Uber, if surge pricing is more than 2, you are required to type in the surge pricing on the app to acknowledge that you know you are going to pay that multiplier on the fare. Her surcharge was 4.4. So she had to physically acknowledge her surcharge or she couldn't have taken the ride.

No pity.

Funny..The lady nor the news story mentioned that part....
Cole Trickle
AG
I took Uber from Midtown to League City at 1AM Saturday after going to the cook off. My driver was a medical student wearing a sports coat and I slept the entire way home. $130 and worth every penny.

Ride there was a laid off oilfield guy in an F350 diesel...$50. Not sure if he's making any money!
aTm2004
AG
I've used Uber and Lyft multiple times and prefer them over cabs, but stuff like this is what's going to end up hurting them more than helping. There's no way a ride from NRG to Humble should cost $500. I took a cab from Midtown to Humble one St. Patrick's day after the bars closed and it cost me about $75 with tip.

Hell, I chose not to use neither Uber or Lyft during the SMU game in Dallas this past season because of this. My friend and I were at his house near N Henderson & 75 (about 2 miles from SMU) and each quoted nearly $45 with surge fees. We decided to stumble the 2 miles there and back.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
You haven't read any of the "negative" stories on Obama have you? They're essentially pre-written from his administration.
Panama Red
AG
Hurting Uber? Have you seen how much the company is worth?

These stories will hurt about as much as news of "worker spits in Big Mac before serving" hurts McDonald's.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Hahahha what an idiot
gindaloon
AG
$500 < DWI
Panama Red
AG
$500. < DWI < crowded light rail
gindaloon
AG
quote:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

- Dean Vernon Wormer
aTm2004
AG
I didn't say "hurting," I said "going to." They are head and shoulders above cabs in pretty much every way, but they're also the new kid in town and the trendy thing to do. In a few years once the new wears off, people (even drunks) will choose a cab over them if it means saving hundreds of dollars. $500 for a single trip is approaching limo territory for a night.

I do agree that $500 is better than a DWI or possibly injuring somebody else.
cajunaggie08
AG
Sounds like someone was drunk and just kept hitting next to book the ride. Hell my wife does that when she's sober.
BigPuma
AG
quote:
$500. < DWI < crowded light rail
debatable. Light rail was ****ing awesome
Jack Cheese
AG
Nm
Boo Weekley
quote:
quote:
You haven't read any of the "negative" stories on Obama have you? They're essentially pre-written from his administration.

Yep

And Trayvon was a sweet little innocent skittle loving kid and Michael Brown was a big teddy bear. Both violently gunned down for no other reason than the color of their skin. The media, at all levels, just wants to manufacture shock/hype/ratings/controversy at all costs.
Panama Red
AG
The people willing to pay $500 for a ride that distance arent going to want to wait over an hour for a cab.

For every one story about someone "duped" into a charge, there are (at least) two people that paid it without complaint
Boo Weekley
$3,500 < DWI
gindaloon
AG
quote:
In a few years once the new wears off
Uber currently available in 200+ cities across 55 countries. Sounds like the new is wearing off.
drumboy
AG
She could have gotten out in midtown, had a beer and gotten another Uber and it probably wouldn't have been surge pricing.
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
$500 < DWI

This is assuming that there is 100% probability of getting pulled over for a DWI,

redag06
I've paid a cabbie 200 for a ride from Humble, and that guaranteed he would be around midtown to pick us up when we were done. The guy's typical area was the Humble area, so he made out picking up fares around midtown for a few hours.
RK
AG
quote:
Hahahha what an idiot
did you ever tell us your tab?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
LOL @ "Upper East Side"
Stan Crowch
AG
I took an Uber to the Golden Nugget at 1am from Montrose. It cost $340 and I couldn't have been more pleased.
redag06
Are you new around here? Or just haven't paid attention?
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
quote:
$500 < DWI

This is assuming that there is 100% probability of getting pulled over for a DWI,

If you agree to 4.4x in uber black then complain about it, you were drunk enough you would get pulled over.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
Upper East Side

never gets less funny.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
quote:
Hahahha what an idiot
I'm a victim, so I've left a vm for channel 13 to do a special on me.

I don't want to ruin the story.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hahahha what an idiot
I'm a victim, so I've left a vm for channel 13 to do a special on me.

I don't want to ruin the story.

Call Q-Tip and tell him you're black.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
The idea this lady was duped is such BS. You have to acknowledge this crap up front w/ Uber when the surge pricing is that high, as stated previously.

IMHO, this smacks of a lady being drunk as hell, not paying attention and then whining after the fact. Plus, the reporters are probably being pushed by the cab companies to push these stories.

Last year at cook-off I would have gladly split $500 between the 4 people in our group rather than wait to get on a sardine-can train like we did.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.