Houston
Sponsored by

Suggestions for driving from Houston to New Mexico

22,594 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by South Platte
SMAN91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any tips or tricks we should know for driving a family of four to NM for Spring Break? Routes, places to stay/avoid/see/eat?

Thanks
Aggiemike96
AG
Many choices depending on where you are ending. Based on the massive bit of info given thus far, I'd say "Head west" and you'll get to NM.
cajunaggie08
AG
buy 4 seats on southwest
Panama Red
AG
Go east. Best way to avoid ending up in New Mexico.
DiskoTroop
My dad lived in Albuquerque for 15 years. Made that drive many many times. If you're going up that direction (Northern part of the state,) your best route is 45->287->40. That 287 stretch is a BIATCH man. It sucks. Bad. But that is just the best route. I've gone 10-25 (heading to Abq) but man you want to talk about a boring drive? Also it's a couple hours longer. It is a little easier though because it's super highway the whole way. If you're going to the Southern part of the state, 10-25 is definitely your best route.

If you go 45-287-40, stop at Buccee's in Madisonville, the Texas Stop in Midlothian, the Dairy Queen in Quanah, the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo (if you've never seen it), the Loves in Tucumcari and the Frontier in Albuquerque.

If you're stopping to make it a two day drive, There is a Motel 6 in Amarillo that is decent and cheap, Amarillo being about 2/3 of the way to Abq. Also there are good hotels in Clarendon, which is right about the half way point.

Can't really help you going up towards Santa Fe or Taos. Been there, but not enough times to recommend any specific routes or places to stop.
DiskoTroop
In Abq, ride the tram up Sandia Peak. That's way cool and cheap. Definitely go to The Frontier Restaurant. Classic Route 66 nostalgia. Albuquerque flea market is pretty awesome, as is the Santa Fe flea market. Also, Range Cafe in Abq for breakfast...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-range-caf%C3%A9-albuquerque-2

And the Big Texan in Amarillo is always fun. Won't say it's the best food in the world but it's decent and kitschy.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-big-texan-steak-ranch-amarillo?osq=steak
PetroAg87
AG
Good info here. I second the suggested 45 to 287 to 40 route. But be REAL careful on Hwy 287 as there are a couple of really bad small town speed traps on that highway.

Amarillo is a good stopping point for the night. Make sure you're gassed up and have all the supplies you need before you head west from Amarillo as it starts getting pretty desolate beyond that.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
where in new mexico?
Satellite of Love
Have you looked into this one road called I-10? It should get you there.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Any tips or tricks we should know for driving a family of four to NM for Spring Break? Routes, places to stay/avoid/see/eat?
zero population, but the state is the 5th largest in terms of land size. You'll need to be a little more specific about what part of NM you are visiting.

in the South, you have Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell (aliens and the Goddard Rocket Museum), head up into the mountains to Lincoln for a Billy the Kid tour, head out to white sands and check out the gypsum fields,
if its warm Sitting Bull Falls is a fun day.

You can head out west to Truth or Consequences, check out Hatch and Silver City

If you head out towards Farmington, you have Four Corners

Lots to do, just depends on where you are
kansas02gt
AG
Agree with PetroAg, depending on where you are going. 287 does blow, but there are some cool photo ops if a storm is blowing in. Cadillac ranch is a neat 10 min detour in Amarillo. Also good photo op (see my facebook profile pic).

Made it to Clayton in about 10 hrs with minimal stops.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
buy 4 seats on southwest
Amen. You can probably get round trip prices for less than $200 each if you book when they have a deal.
7nine
MAROON
AG
SW flight to ABQ from Houston the week of Spring Break - 4 tickets will run you upwards of $1700. SW is no longer a low cost airline.
Original_NoOlives
AG
Smuggle drugs, drive fast
cajunaggie08
AG
quote:
SW flight to ABQ from Houston the week of Spring Break - 4 tickets will run you upwards of $1700. SW is no longer a low cost airline.
True, but can you really put a price on your sanity
MichaelJ
AG
aTm2004
AG
quote:
That's because they hedged fuel when it was low and it paid off. They don't have that luxury anymore, but they do have a better overall flight experience vs. United (and probably AA but I haven't flown them in years).
BarryProfit
I guess I'm the only one who prefers 36 to get up towards Abilene? They once you get to Sweetwater you take 84 up towards Lubbock / Amarillo.

It's s pretty crappy drive.
CrossBowAg99
AG
We went to Ruidoso between Christmas and New Years 2014.

We took SH 36 and stayed the night in Abilene on the way because we made two stops to visit family on the way up. We did a day trip to White Sands and my kids had a blast sledding down the sand dunes.

We were trying to visit Carlsbad Caverns on our way back NYE, but they were closed due to an ice storm.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Definately do the tram up to Sandia Peak. Recommend going up late in the afternoon and having dinner at the restaurant (make reservations). That way you also get to see the city at night. Dress accordingly. It will be considerably colder on the summit.
agnatgas
AG
quote:
Mac & Ernie's Roadside Eatery
A bit out of the way and 70 miles northwest of San Antonio near Tarpley
agnatgas
AG
Say hi to these buddies if you see them

BigAg_12
AG
I'm taking several days off next week and heading to the Guadalupe Mountains to camp & hike. The plan is to drive on Saturday, hike all day Sunday and Monday, and then head to Carlsbad Caverns to check that out on Tuesday. Maybe stay in White's City, NM that night.

Is the White Sands monument worth the 3 hour drive from Carlsbad? Is there anything I cannot miss while in this region? I need to drive back to Houston on Wednesday or Thursday. Never really been to this region before so advice is appreciated.

Oh and to the OP, I'm taking I10.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
I'm taking several days off next week and heading to the Guadalupe Mountains to camp & hike. The plan is to drive on Saturday, hike all day Sunday and Monday, and then head to Carlsbad Caverns to check that out on Tuesday. Maybe stay in White's City, NM that night.

Is the White Sands monument worth the 3 hour drive from Carlsbad? Is there anything I cannot miss while in this region? I need to drive back to Houston on Wednesday or Thursday. Never really been to this region before so advice is appreciated.

Oh and to the OP, I'm taking I10.
if you have little ones, the zoo in Carlsbad is a good trip. Very different than the Houston Zoo as all of the animals are native to the desert.

Where in the mountains are you planning on camping? We used to hunt and camp there all the time. I'd say you at least need to check out McKittrick Canyon and Soldier Springs.

Its been too long, but Whites City used to be a one hotel tourist trap for everyone leaving the Caverns, things may have changed by now.

If you want to take a day, you can head up into Lincoln to check out the Billy the Kid historical sites before heading over to White Sands.

You may want to get in contact with poster BreNayPop, he still lives in Carlsbad and is good people.
raph_ruck
AG
Good choice, I wish I had appreciated NM more during my time there. I spent my freshman year in Roswell and if you were looking for a long flat drive then you've found it. Roswell is a strange place (alien street lamps are a personal favorite) but worth a visit if you're in the area. Bottomless Lakes State Park off of 380 offers a pretty good swimming hole as well. I'd say Carlsbad would be a good place to start and Juarez is so fun it might be worth the risk...j/k, kind of. Safe travels, enjoy your trip, and don't run out of gas.
Moto Ag
AG
Went to Santa Fe last year at Spring Break. Wanted to get there "leisurely", so only went as far as
Fort Stockton the first day. Woke early the next morning and toured Carlsbad Caverns, bought some
alien crap in Roswell, and still made it to SF in time to rent our skis for the following day. That was I-10 and 84; average speed about 80 the entire time. The caverns were worth the longer route, especially since it also helped break up the drive. Unfortunately, 84 is a desolate stretch of ugly nothingness, just brutal.

Since we'd already done the caverns, we drove back through Lubbutt, Abilene, Temple, College Station; criss-crossing our way on a route that was shorter, but seemed almost as long due to the many towns and slower moving country traffic.

Santa Fe ski area was not crowded at all. I was expecting the worst and ended up being fairly impressed
with the experience even though we normally stay slope-side when we ski. (about a 40 minute drive each way to/from the ski area from any accommodations)

MouthBQ98
AG
Guad mts. Is my favorite place in Texas. BeAutiful views. Hike to the top of the peak and do mckittrick canyon for sure. If you hike about half a mile up past the grotto and shout, your voice will echo in the canyon walls for several seconds..It is pretty cool.
88jrt06
AG
Better Call Saul.
agnatgas
AG
There's a New Mexico?
BigAg_12
AG
No kids, going with the GF. We plan to camp at the Pine Springs Campground but they do not take reservations...so I am nervous about getting a spot after such a long drive and getting there in the early evening. What would be the best option if that's full?

So Guadalupe Peak is a must, one day hike... Carlsbad Caverns, McKittrick Canyon, and Salt Basin Dunes all in one day sounds like it's possible... Then the bowl for the last day hike. Maybe drive through Roswell on the way out but it's kinda out of the way.

BigAg_12
AG
Is soldier springs an ATV loop? I have a 4x4 truck but no ATV unfortunately. Williams Ranch seems pretty cool / desolate.
agcivengineer
AG
I've driven to NM more times than I can count. We fly fish the San Juan river and love it. I hiked the gila wilderness as a teenager. My mom grew up in gallup. My preferred route is I10, 2nd is 36 to 84, and the last is 45 to 287. I10 is best because of limited small town cops, wide open roads and 85 mph speed limit.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
No kids, going with the GF. We plan to camp at the Pine Springs Campground but they do not take reservations...so I am nervous about getting a spot after such a long drive and getting there in the early evening. What would be the best option if that's full?

So Guadalupe Peak is a must, one day hike... Carlsbad Caverns, McKittrick Canyon, and Salt Basin Dunes all in one day sounds like it's possible... Then the bowl for the last day hike. Maybe drive through Roswell on the way out but it's kinda out of the way.

honestly no idea. We always stayed on the NM side at the end of Ridge Road in the National Forest.

And truthfully the caverns is a day trip by itself, so you may want to plan for that as well. The "Big Room" is a 1.5 hour walk and its about that long to get down there (assuming you do the whole cave and dont take the elevator down)

Last time I was at Soilder Springs you could get a truck down there, but its just as fun to park up top and walk down. Have a picnic in the field, then walk out.

SMAN91
AG
We are going to Ruidoso first, then Carlsbad. Flexible after that.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
We are going to Ruidoso first, then Carlsbad. Flexible after that.
id say a trip to Lincoln on your way to Carlsbad would be in order. Come back down through Roswell and take pictures of all of the aliens on the buildings. Keep heading south and then look in awe at all of the state championships on the Artesia water tower.

In Carlsbad, hit up Lucy's for some mexican food new mexico style. Cortez is also good, just prefer Lucy's. As you're driving in from Artesia you'll pass a sign for Living Desert State Park, the zoo is at the top of the that hill. Pretty cool to see the desert animals, and you can feed the deer (at least you could last time I was there). Church Street Grill has the best Green Chile Cheeseburgers in town, so grab one of those.

Plan a day for the Caverns. Its a bit of a drive from Carlsbad, and as mentioned earlier a 3+ hour walk if you do the whole thing.

If its just you and the Mrs (or GF) you can go all HS, and park on the hill over looking the town.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.