Houston
Sponsored by

Best Steak in Houston?

24,989 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Diggity
FtBendTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a second degree burn on my hand for this very reason about 10 years ago when I first tried this method. It works great. And I use veggie oil. And salt the steaks 30-45 minutes before cooking.

And i know "they" say it doesn't matter anymore, but I always let them sit out in room temp an hour before cooking. They've always turned out amazing that way. So I'll keep doing it.
Post removed:
by user
MAS444
AG
That's what I do too. It helps to have a 22k btu burner.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I prefer the reverse sear. Start in a low temp oven and then sear.
AggieC07
AG
quote:

I need to try this, I hear this is a good way of cooking a steak
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I've never understood the oven step with this method. If you like them medium rare why not just sear 3-4 minutes each side and be done? Mine were great like this, what does oven add?

Putting it in the oven lets it cook to the correct doneness without over searing the outside.

Put a pat of real butter on the steak before you put in the oven as well. Absolutely phenomenal steaks, assuming you start with good quality meat.

I use olive oil - i like the flavor it adds and it doesn't smoke as bad as one might think.
Diggity
AG
The point is that you're using a more expensive oil that will break down at lower temps than vegetable oil. If you're searing the steak, any oil will break down to the point where the flavor is pretty much gone. You're just looking for lubricant.
tx4guns
AG
Just want to throw a plug for Kemah Steak Company. Some of the best steaks in town. It's become one of our favorite places, and it's quite nice inside. Old house converted to a restaurant.
BullSprig07
AG
quote:
I've never understood the oven step with this method. If you like them medium rare why not just sear 3-4 minutes each side and be done? Mine were great like this, what does oven add?
You are just trying to avoid and overcooked outside and an undercooked inside. If you have it dialed in how you like it with just searing you may not need to jack with the oven.
BullSprig07
AG
quote:
quote:

I need to try this, I hear this is a good way of cooking a steak

I've been doing this on my Big Green Egg lately and I think it's my preferred method now. I like cast-iron steaks as well but I don't like the smoky kitchen. You can also add some mesquite chips for some smokiness, and you can get the egg way hotter than you could ever get a stove-top.
aTm2004
AG
I've tried some wood chips on my KJ when searing steaks, and I always have a problem with flare ups and it charring the steaks. When I don't use chips, there's no issue. It also seems that the smokiness from the lump is just enough.
BullSprig07
AG
quote:
I've tried some wood chips on my KJ when searing steaks, and I always have a problem with flare ups and it charring the steaks. When I don't use chips, there's no issue. It also seems that the smokiness from the lump is just enough.
Right, I should have clarified. I use some extra chips during the first part of the reverse sear, while the temp is relatively low. By the time I get the the sear part they have pretty much burned out.
aTm2004
AG
Ok. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.
Diggity
AG
what method do you guys use to get the temp up quickly for reverse sear? I just do the sear method because I feel like it's easier to get the grill hot as hell, then put the steaks on the side and choke out the grill to finish.
aTm2004
AG
With the ceramic cookers, you can go from 250 to 650 in about 5 minutes once the fire is going.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I only do a reverse sear on a grill for tenderloin. I cook it whole at low heat, let it rest while bringing the temp up, slice the meat and then grill.
Diggity
AG
quote:
With the ceramic cookers, you can go from 250 to 650 in about 5 minutes once the fire is going.

just by opening the vents? that hasn't been the case for me. Usually takes at least 10 minutes or so. I'm just wondering what you do with the steaks during that time. Leave them on or pull them?
aTm2004
AG
Has been for me with exception of once, when I either didn't have enough charcoal or some of the vents in the firebox were blocked, restricting air flow.
RK
AG
yea, you gotta be loaded up with lump and have clean airways.

I would definitely pull them and set aside for that time.
Diggity
AG
I'm a lump cheapskate so I may pass on this method
RK
AG
unreal. you don't cook pizzas either? get you lump game up, bruh.
Diggity
AG
I'll make exceptions for pizza.

I just don't see any huge benefit to the reverse sear other than people like to find new ways to do crap.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
If you wanna talk about new ways to do stuff you should cook your steaks sous vide.
RK
AG
we got a GD foodie in here now. shut it down.
aTm2004
AG
A reverse sear is essentially a light smoke and then a sear. Not much more fuel usage.

Think of it this way...a bag of lump is about $8, a couple of good strips is about $30. So, for about $12 less that what you'd pay for 1 steak at a steakhouse, you can have 2 comparable steaks and can have your girl on your junk faster (if you do this on 3/14)
Diggity
AG
i did a little research and it looks like you can just shove all the lump to one side so you have a direct and indirect spot on the grill. Seems pretty simple.

I'll give it a shot and report back
aTm2004
AG
If you have a KJ, it has a divide and conquer system, so you can choose indirect and sear at the same time.
Diggity
AG
unfortunately, that system was not included when I bought mine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.