Houston
Sponsored by

MD Anderson question

2,439 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by mr83tr88
cgh1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend of mine's two-year-old daughter was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. Prognosis is not good, but she's been accepted into MD Anderson as a patient.

They are from Louisiana so they will be needing overnight accommodations. Any recommendations or insights that I can give them regarding places to stay,
Places to eat, parking, etc. is there a connection to the Ronald McDonald house through The hospital, or do they contact them directly?

Any hints and advice are welcome. Prayers are even more welcome.
aggiedent
AG
The MD Anderson lodgings page:

www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/guide-to-md-anderson/getting-here/jh-mdacc-hotels-2015.pdf

Parking garages are also shown on the MD website.

Lots of places to eat within walking distance and tons within a 10 minute drive.
tommyjohn
There is a hotel at MD Anderson run by Marriott. It runs like $120 per night.
StillNotAnAggie
Check this thread:
http://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2569759
and this one
http://texags.com/forums/38/topics/2598996

Hopefully you can find some help there.

Prayers sent also!
Ezra Brooks
AG
Ronald McDonald House
GoneGirl
AG
MD Anderson offers many, many services to their patients that many are unaware of.

Make sure they see this list.

MDA Services Index

Depending on where her treatment is, there are several places (including a chic fil a) on site. RMH is a little way down the street, but they have shuttle buses too and from different facilities, so they may offer that.

Prayers for them. That's a tough deal to go through, but they're working with the best in the world. I found everyone I dealt with there, from the doctors to the cafeteria workers to be caring, compassionate and friendly.

It's not the quickest moving place in the world (except when they need to), my oncologist swears the MD stands for "Most of the Day," but they are thorough. To tell you the truth, when I was diagnosed with cancer, there was no other place on earth that I'd have considered going.
GoneGirl
AG
This is an interesting thing that many don't know as well.

The parking garage in the Mays Clinic offers free parking to disabled vets. You just have to show them your ID card. At $8-$9 for a 4-5 hour visit (and honestly, who is ever there for less), this can be a considerable savings if you qualify.
cgh1999
AG
Please keep Emily and her family in your prayers. She starts radiation next week, but the prognosis is less then a year.
husker6869
T and P. I hope it goes well and she can beat that zhit.
mr83tr88
AG
As we have told our 15-year-old daughter who started fighting cancer when she was 7 months old and is fighting a new cancer diagnosis now, the doctors and nurses are amazing and have so much knowledge. HOWEVER, they are human and do the best they can with what they have. Only God has the final word. Lots of things can happen and change in her course of treatment that prove the drs wrong!! PRAYERS for this family!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.