Houston
Sponsored by

Fort Bend Brewing closes.

15,968 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jetch17
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2015/02/fort-bend-brewing-closes/#30266101=0

They had some fairly solid offerings.
7nine
UndergroundAg
WGAS
wessimo
AG
Sorry to hear of a local brewer shutting down. Will be interesting to see if this is a new trend. There are so many choices when you walk down the beer aisle these days. Great for the consumer but has to put pressure on the breweries and stores to keep the product moving.
Post removed:
by user
Scantron882
AG
Odd that they mention "cynics and disparagers" in their statement
cajunaggie08
AG
I like to try different beers but I never saw their beers at bars nor did their packaging catch my eye. In what had become a crowded local beer market, they needed to create a product that kept people coming back and it appears they did not. I'm sure their beer was ok, but you gotta be more than ok to get people to pay $8 a six pack
GoAgs92
AG
I had one at the skeeters game, it was ok. Too bad they didn't have enough funding to survive until they could get a following.
GoAgs92
AG
they needed to take a card from no label on how to get people to the tastings to keep them afloat while they started and using super low rent space.

NL beer isn't much better but they play up the "Katy" angle with locals and pull at least $5k each saturday for their tasting and basically use an almost abandoned building.
JSKolache
AG
Beer was no good -- way to sweet in all flavors. Here's hoping a new enterprising brewer buys the facility/equipment and makes something awesome.
drumboy
AG
quote:
Beer was no good -- way to sweet in all flavors.

Cynic and disparager.
TxKng82
AG
Won't miss it, but sorry to see it go. Their Thunder Stout was pretty decent. Think that was the only one I ever had.
sixbarag
Sponsor
AG
I just heard the other day that they were moving from their current location to a new, bigger one!! Guess my info was wrong.

hurricanejake02
AG
Their Farmhouse Ale was the only one I'd tried, and I liked it - but not so much that I went out searching for it.
swimmerbabe11
That's the one I was forgetting about.

Well..guess now I know why.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
best beer commercial ever?

GoAgs92
AG
it's actually a good commercial, so what if it makes beer snobs not drink bud...they weren't drinking it anyway.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
makes me want to drink Bud!

but alas. Coors Light is just too darn good to give up.
BigPuma
AG
I thought their blonde was terrible. Tried farmhouse and had a very meh factor to it. oh well. I like No Label especially some of their newer offerings.

Karbach is solid.
8th Wonder is starting to really come on and see it in more and more bars.
Texaggie7nine
Buff Bayou is getting up there to elite status with Karbach
7nine
BBRex
AG
That sucks, but the offerings I tried from them were only okay.

I wonder how Cycler's is going to fare? I like what I've tried, but it seems to be very limited release.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Beer was no good -- way to sweet in all flavors. Here's hoping a new enterprising brewer buys the facility/equipment and makes something awesome.

+1. It's a crowded market and I wasn't a fan. More and better options is good for the fan, but there is an attrition. That cynic comment was weird. It strikes me as an arrogant comment from someone who probably doesn't understand why they went out of business.
zap
AG
quote:
The couple invested $1.2 million to get the project of the ground in late 2012
Damn, 1.2 million gone. POOF
randy828
AG
11 Below will be starting soon in the Willowbrook area.
vansprinkle
AG
quote:
quote:
The couple invested $1.2 million to get the project of the ground in late 2012

Sounds about right. I have a buddy that is an incredible home brewer. He wins competitions constantly, won the DR12 competition a few years ago (it was his recipe), etc. He would love to take his brewing from hobby status to career status, but the estimated million dollars to get started is holding him back.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
11 Below will be starting soon in the Willowbrook area.
Ya I'm following them closely . They are a few blocks from my work and I'm hoping to slide into some type of volunteer spot.
7nine
ChipFTAC01
AG
One of these days Town in City will finally get open in the Heights.

That being said, if they've had this much trouble opening the doors, I have to imagine that they're either undercapitalized or just bad businessmen which doesn't bode well for their future.

Or maybe they're scrappy and they'll prove me wrong.
BBRex
AG
quote:

If they have some of that in equipment, they might be able to sell it to someone else wanting to start up and get some of it back.
redag06
Town In City has made the process look easy compared to City Acre's journey. They have had their facility for about 3 years now, and still not "open" They even have had a handful of tastings a few years ago.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Town In City has made the process look easy compared to City Acre's journey. They have had their facility for about 3 years now, and still not "open" They even have had a handful of tastings a few years ago.

Man, I forgot about them. I think I'm on their mailing list, but I haven't heard anything from them in a long time.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I just looked. I've been on their list since 9/30/11. The last email I got was last October saying that their permits were finally approved by the City.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
It's a crowded market and I wasn't a fan. More and better options is good for the fan, but there is an attrition.

Yeah. I think it's easy for beer "enthusiasts" to overestimate demand for new labels. At some point you reach a saturation, where there are so many labels to choose from that no one outside of uber beer snobs need to search out their cool new label of the week. And being locally brewed isn't enough of a selling point anymore unless the product really stands out against St. A's, Karbach, Buffalo Bayou, etc.
terradactylexpress
quote:

No
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:

No
Maybe not sales wise as of yet, but taste wise they are putting out some pretty friggin awesome stuff.
7nine
Jock 07
AG
quote:
best beer commercial ever?

It's a hilariously populist commercial considering the hypocrisy. Anheuser/InBev have been buying up microbreweries left and right. The best part is Elysian, the brewery they just bought last week, brews a pumpkin peach beer. Nothing like insulting your consumer.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
makes me want to drink Bud!

but alas. Coors Light is just too darn good to give up.
They're the same damn thing
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.