Houston
Sponsored by

Houston area high school reunion venues

6,465 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by DustysLineup
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I'm somehow stuck planning this thing for my class's 10 year. I was wondering if any of y'all had any suggestions on places that are logistically easy to plan (like doesn't require a huge deposit ahead of time, kind of thing). We're a pretty small class, roughly 150. With significant others and what not, I wouldn't expect more than 120 to show up. And we were a pretty ghetto high school that most folks hated, so it wouldn't surprise me if some people just showed up and hung around in the parking lot if the event was too expensive. Some of my classmates wanted a dinner cruise, but that appears to be way to expensive per person, and I'm not putting down a deposit and watch people back out last minute.

So, looking for a venue:
1) That'll be good for 100-120 folks
2) Won't be too expensive for people to attend
3) Will be easy to work with over the phone, since I'm not currently in Houston
4) Can be anywhere in the Houston/Galveston area
5) Doesn't require a huge deposit
6) And one that would make walking around and socializing easy

Thanks
Panama Red
AG
Can you do it on 10-15-15? I can get you a deal on the deposit.
drumboy
AG
Saint Arnold investor pub if you can keep it under 100 would be good, but beer will be the only beverage.
DustysLineup
AG
Your attendance number sounds a tad ambitious.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Hire a reunion company to do this. Trust me on this.

email me at ryanthetemp03 at gmail for more details as to why.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Your attendance number sounds extremely ambitious.
fify
UndergroundAg
quote:
Can you do it on 10-15-15? I can get you a deal on the deposit.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I grew up with a bunch of "rich kids" and they chose Sam's Boat for our 10 year. I didn't go because I thought is was a stupid place for a reunion. Sounds like it might be exactly what you are looking for though. I think it was about $50 a person and they just reserved a portion of the bar for us.

I honestly don't know if Sam's Boat even exist anymore, but I'm sure you could get most bars to do something similar.
bigtruckguy3500
Sam's boat sounds interesting, although $50 sounds like a lot for a 10 year. I'll look into it a bit more.

Y'all are probably right on attendance numbers. I think 30-40 classmates + 15-20 significant others is about all we'll probably be able to manage. Heck, due to my schedule with school I doubt I'll be able to make it myself.

And I'm not sure I'm tracking on the 10-15-15 deal.
Aggiemike96
AG
10-15-15...bye week for Aggie football so you're good to go. Well, unless your MIL has input into the program.
Zemira
AG
quote:
quote:
Your attendance number sounds extremely ambitious.
fify
We graduated about 650. We likely had about 200 including significant others at our ten year.
kansas02gt
AG
ours was done at Texans Grille in CityCentre and had terrible service to boot. Poorly managed by GradsUnite (i think that was the name).

1. Not to mention those of us who purchased tickets in advance for open bar actually ended up paying more (even though it was marketed as a discount). So many people whined about the cost of the tickets ($75pp for open bar in advance) that they brought down the price of open bar to the price of the normal ticket to $50pp. Once confronted, they said they had already paid the deposit and could not refund our money for those who paid well in advance.

2. The event organizer, her husband and child (under 15 ) all came to run the event. They must be the owners of the site as well.....

3. Texans Grille was the 2nd location announced as it was originally to be at Sorella (much nicer).

After checking out their website, they clearly got many of the KISD schools to participate in this ridiculousness, and it seemed everyone's reunions somehow mysteriously became held at Texans Grille in the end (ie. something in it for the organizers).

BoxingAg84
My ten year was at Stafford Center a few years ago.
It was a great venue.
erin2003
AG
My 10 year was at Cadillac Bar on I-10 just west of downtown. It was fun but expensive ($45 per person I think). Turnout was around 125 out of 680.
CrossBowAg99
AG
My 10 year was at the Majestic Metro or something like that (I didn't go). I think that I have seen it recommended by others on TA years ago.
DCC99
AG
Isn't a 10 year kind of pointless now, seeing as how you've all probably been on Facebook since you graduated? Serious question. Not trying to be a jerk.
Ryan the Temp
AG
The Hyatt Regency downtown is a good venue for reunions because they have rooms of varying sizes, and they will sometimes waive the room fees if you guarantee a certain amount of food and beverage sales. Buffet-style heavy hors d'ouevres are usually good for these types of events. Hotels are also good venues if you expect classmates to travel in from out of town because they can just go up to their room after the reunion.

All you really need is a venue, a DJ, and food. The hard part is tracking down classmates.
The Wonderer
AG
My 10 year was at St. Arnold's. We graduated 531 and I think maybe 100 showed total. I didn't go. It was held the Saturday of Mother's Day Weekend. The Facebook whining was fcking priceless to read though.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Isn't a 10 year kind of pointless now, seeing as how you've all probably been on Facebook since you graduated? Serious question. Not trying to be a jerk.
The 10 year may or may not be pointless but I don't think it has anything to do with Facebook.

Facebook is essentially a tool for women to post pictures of their kids. I have a bunch of old "friends" on there who I haven't seen in years. The extent of our communication is them adding me and me accepting (or vice versa). Nothing about seeing pictures of their children or what they had to eat that night would preclude me from going to a reunion.
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
My 10 year was at St. Arnold's. We graduated 531 and I think maybe 100 showed total. I didn't go. It was held the Saturday of Mother's Day Weekend. The Facebook whining was fcking priceless to read though.

That's weird timing. My high school always does reunions around a home football game.

I think the standard routine is to have a buffet and keg on campus or at a designated bar/restaurant on Thursday night, and tailgate before the game on Friday.

I've never gone though. 10 years wasn't long enough for nostalgia to kick in. And the guy might have a point about Facebook allowing you to keep up with the people you wish to keep up with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.