Houston
Sponsored by

So Hugo Caliente's is getting sued by Hugo's

11,916 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Ducks4brkfast
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
seems like a stretch to me. I'm not IP lawyer though. Hugo's can likely outspend the upstart.

isn't the owner on here? guessing he won't want to comment. Best of luck to you!

abc13.com/business/hugo-caliente-in-hot-water-over-name/485304

Tom Hagen
AG
Does Caliente serve crispy cricket tacos for $30?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I'll be returning to Hugo Caliente's very soon.

I've always though Hugo's is way overrated.
Worm01
AG
From what I understand, the owner of Hugo's would have to prove that Hugo Caliente's is named that to intentionally confuse the consumer into believing that it is related Hugo's. Correct?

I don't know anyone who has ever made that assumption.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
From what I understand, the owner of Hugo's would have to prove that Hugo Caliente's is named that to intentionally confuse the consumer into believing that it is related Hugo's. Correct?

I don't think he needs to prove intent, just that the name confuses reasonable consumers into believing it is an extension of his restaurant, but I haven't read his complaint to see what all he is alleging and don't specialize or work in trademark law.
Diggity
AG
yeah, I don't think so either.

Mission Tortilla was able to force Mission Burrito to change their name and their was no proven intent there. The businesses were pretty unrelated there too.
sts7049
AG
never been to Hugo Calientes or know anything about it, I would have guessed it was part of hugos.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Trying to come up with an entirely unique name in a city this size is challenging. That's why it's best to go with some dewshy millennial name like, "Mastic8: A Tex-Latin Gastro Lounge featuring casual upscale locally sourced organic sustainable tacos."
terradactylexpress
According to mission burrito, I don't think they actually took that one to court and just settled. Probably should have fought it out because Uberburrito is the dumbest name ever
Diggity
AG
agreed. people love names that you have to stare at for a while to figure out.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:

I did. Girl in the office mentioned HC and I thought it was part of Hugo's. She explained they weren't related.
sixbarag
Sponsor
AG
Shouldn't Taco Bell be suing Taco Cabana and them suing Taco Villa and so on then?
jja79
AG
I assumed they were the same.
RK
AG
What about Tonys and Tonys??
agnatgas
AG
I'm never eating insects at Hugo's again! Bye the way, Caliente makes a badazz breakfast taco.
BarryProfit
quote:
I'll be returning to Hugo Caliente's very soon.

I've always though Hugo's is way overrated.

Bro
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Hope Hugo's burns to the ground (with no one in it). Mexican food should never be nearly that expensive. Mexico is a third world country. Serving crickets...lol...don't know what to say to that.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Didn't Michelob sue Mambo Seafood a few yrs ago over use of "Michelada"???
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Pure muscle/dick move by Hugo's. Probably called HC and said, "drop the Hugo's or else" and they said something like "go sit on an eggplant." IP litigation is super expensive and Hugo's probably has some lawyer that is a regular/buddy willing to do it on the cheap. As a lawyer, I really hate lawyers.
Stan Crowch
AG
I see where Hugos is coming from.
Stan Crowch
AG
I have heard of numerous people confusing the two comcepts.
BMX Bandit
Of the numerous reasons to rightfully hate lawyers, this seems pretty low on the list.

Hugo's has a trademark and there is clearly confusion.
bularry
I can't believe anyone is defending the new place.

it seems a blatant attempt to cash in on the famous name of a restaurant. Hugo's is considered a destination restaurant around the country, you think it is by accident this place in the f'n city center used that name? give me a break.
Dr. Horrible
Never heard of Hugo's until this thread...
BillYeoman
quote:
I can't believe anyone is defending the new place.

it seems a blatant attempt to cash in on the famous name of a restaurant. Hugo's is considered a destination restaurant around the country, you think it is by accident this place in the f'n city center used that name? give me a break.

I have had better Mexican food on the streets of Mexico City than Hugo's. Place is a novelty. They also like to flatter themselves. See this lawsuit. Brunch sucks and their regular menu is decent but nothing to write home about. Petty lawsuit
Stan Crowch
AG
Troll
MAROON
AG
quote:
Serving crickets...lol...don't know what to say to that.
it just says you don't know dick about Mexican food.
swimmerbabe11
IP Law is really really wierd.

Also, I feel like this is going to be a big problem for Fuzzy's Tacos.
Which will make me sad, because Fuzzy's Tacos is supremely superior to Fuzzy's Pizza.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
IP Law is really really wierd.

Also, I feel like this is going to be a big problem for Fuzzy's Tacos.
Which will make me sad, because Fuzzy's Tacos is supremely superior to Fuzzy's Pizza.
Two totally different product lines. I doubt there would ever be a real concern of confusion.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
quote:
They eat crickets down there because they are poor indigenous people who are barely scraping by just to survive. No one in a developed first world country would ever have the desire to eat them as a delicacy, unless they were conned into it by an overly pretentious and "trendy" restaurant that got fabulous reviews.

Want to eat a bunch of nasty insects just to make yourself feel cool or "cultured" knock yourself out.
Diggity
AG
this Kyler Murray situation has you very tense
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
this Kyler Murray situation has you very tense
...and Mack, Boyd Bros, Holton Hill etc. Lately I've had little to no appetite and my hands are clammy. I apologize to Maroon. Crickets are actually pretty good. Beetles and Junebugs too. I just can't wait for all of this to be over.

cab595
I saw a Hugo's plumbing truck driving to work today. Must be really branching out....
Tom Hagen
AG
Tex-Mex >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mexican food
MAROON
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
They eat crickets down there because they are poor indigenous people who are barely scraping by just to survive. No one in a developed first world country would ever have the desire to eat them as a delicacy, unless they were conned into it by an overly pretentious and "trendy" restaurant that got fabulous reviews.

Want to eat a bunch of nasty insects just to make yourself feel cool or "cultured" knock yourself out.
they are a delicacy in Mexico, and they are damn tasty. Too bad you are not well traveled.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.