Houston
Sponsored by

Book of Mormon

14,915 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Bob Kelso
AggieMainland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tonight was opening night and it was almost as amazing as it was in NYC on Broadway. I highly recommend it...esp if you are the type that likes Southpark. BOM definitely crosses the line multiple times so its not for everyone...but the production value is great. Very impressive for a traveling show.
Original_NoOlives
AG
Wanted to see it in December when I was in NYC, but tix were $$$.

Glad to hear Houston show is legit though. May have to check it out.
YellAg2004
AG
The wife and I are going on Saturday night.
Texaggie7nine
Going on the 28th
7nine
aggiedrew08
AG
Saw it last year when it came thru, really enjoyable.
Cibalo
headed there Sunday evening
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Going on the 28th
We are, too.
Texaggie7nine
I figured you could get in with a press pass and just pretend to take pictures.
7nine
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I figured you could get in with a press pass and just pretend to take pictures.
I'm not that important.
thepriceisright24
AG
Saw it tonight! Absolutely fantastic!!!!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Going in February
RAB91
I don't really get the appeal of this show. If you're a practicing member of any faith, what's the appeal of supporting a show that ridicules another faith to this extent? I've watched many a Southpark episodes (but none in quite a long time) and laughed when they made fun of religions (including my own). But from many reviews that I've read this show completely crosses the line. Anybody who's wandered over to the R&P board knows that I completely disagree with many of their beliefs, but I don't see the point in ridiculing anybody like this show appears to do.

Oh, and another thing....Islam would be a much easier target for Parker & Stone, but they're not that brave.

'Op-ed: Why is 'Book of Mormon' play tolerated and even praised?'
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/1966797-155/op-ed-why-is-book-of-mormon

'Vulgar and tasteless 'Book of Mormon' opens Broadway series at Saenger'
http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2013/10/vulgar_and_tasteless_book_of_m.html
CrossBowAg99
AG
Most of the pendejos that post here are hipsters and don't have faith

They think a mormon is an annoying white kid that knocks on your door to to get you to find god

jakeaggie84
AG
Yep. As a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and a return missionary (I went to buenos aires) the South Park guys love to make fun of us. I guess we are an easy target because we don't behead people. When are they going to make a musical about the Quran? Or Catholics or Jews or any other religion? I don't get offended having grown up a mormon in texas, but it is frustrating that they are making millions and getting awards for a play that makes fun of my Faith. Maybe me and coach Larry Jackson will go protest at the theater. I need to work on turning the other cheek I guess.
bigjag19
AG
The LDS church has made comments about them doing a decent job. They also usually advertise in the playbill.

SP has made fun of all of those things. Fact is they know Mormons so well having grown up in Colorado.
Guitarsoup
AG
And they have made fun of Islam a good bIt. They have multiple episodes that have been pulled out of syndication and Netflix sure to the Islamic complaints.
Texaggie7nine
If your are easily offended then don't go see it. Why people are so concerned about what others find humorous and choose to pay to see is mystery to me.

I used to be an easily offended Christian back when the SP movie came out. I went to see it as a fan of SP and a few scenes really offended me to the point of almost walking out. But even then I didn't have a problem with the other people there who weren't offended and found it funny. That's their business.
7nine
jakeaggie84
AG
I'm not offended or telling people not to go. But having a whole musical that pokes fun of my faith and then gets awards for it.....

I'm sure it has some funny parts, but at what point does it cross the line? Is their no line when it comes to humor. The fact that SP got episodes removed is proving my point. All they did was depict Mohamed as a guy in a bear costume. People and critics and networks said it was too far.....I think we can agree it was only too far bc it was a different religion people are afraid of.

The SP guys also made an NC-17 movie making fun of my church a number of years back. They have an obsession.

The only official statement my church has said is......

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-statement-regarding-the-book-of-mormon-broadway-musical

like I said, my church has a history of not get bent out of shape. Did you know that in the 1800s Missouri government actually had an extermination law saying it was legal to kill Mormons? But my church forgives and forgets.

So to offset the way they depict me and my family in the play, here are a few links to what is really going on in Africa in regards to our religion.....

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/book-of-mormon-musical-column

Mormon.org

and a few other famous Mormons you might not have known were mormon.....
imagine dragons
the killers
neon tree
andy reid
the mariott hotel family
amy Adams
larry jackson
steve young
dr. Jim the houston fox weather guy.

im heading to church. If you have any questions or comments, You are welcome to PM me.
Texaggie7nine
I know plenty of Mormons. I'm surprised you didn't include Glen Beck in your list.

I have invited in missionaries into my home and listened and debated with them.

That's all fine and good, but this is a play to entertain. Maybe go see it for yourself if you want to criticize it. Otherwise, just don't go and stop worrying about what others do for fun.
7nine
Guitarsoup
AG
Amy Adams isn't exactly that Mormon. I grew up with her boyfriend that she has lived with for a over a decade. Nice try, though.
AMW2010
AG
I wonder if that silly Mormon has even seen the show.... If anyone actually has seen the show would know the over all lesson that is being taught in the end might not be what you think...

You are bashing something you prolly never seen! And if you have a problem with sp, you might want to look at yourself in the mirror first, cause you are prolly the problem. SP bashes on everyone, all religions and types of people. That's what makes them so great, they have never picked one thing. Red heads, Canadians, black, white, gay, religion... Don't like it? Don't watch.., OHHH that offended me... Boooo hooooo

AMW2010
AG
Jake, is this you?

bigjag19
AG
I have a good friend from Provo. He did his mission, and was a coordinator for part it. He still practices, is married to another Mormon etc.

He loves the musical. Is glad they did their research to get it right.

They haven't exactly been kind to the Catholics during the history of SP either.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
redag06
He can't respond today, he is in church all day.
Furlock Bones
AG
Book of Mormon is ****ing phenomenal.
jakeaggie84
AG
Like I said, not offended. More like disrespected. But keep piling in if you want, wouldn't expect anything else from the internet tough guys. Yes, Amy Adams is not very active. Glenn beck is a good one. How bout Gladys knight! Forgot about her. Bryce Harper. The guy that invented the tv.

I have a sense of humor about my religion, but Im not going to let people that really don't know much at all about my religion disrespect it without a response. No hard feelings, trust me.

I have seen performances on line and on tv from the play. I probably know more about the play than most patrons of the show know about the actual Book of Mormon. Just wanted to make sure my aggie family knows there are thousands of Mormon ags in the bcs area and 16+ million around the world that might not be big fans of the show.
Guitarsoup
AG
By not very active you mean doesn't believe or practice the religion at all, then I agree with you.
Texaggie7nine
Disrespected?

How should we be respectful? Pretend that we don't find certain things about those that claim your religion to be funny?

Mormons as a group are not helpless children or disabled. Asking not to poke fun out of respect is something you do for people that have flaws that they cannot help, or are unable to defend themselves.

There is no show that could be made that I would think is disrespectful of my religious beliefs because there is nothing I find in my personal beliefs to be insecure about. It would simply be a show that got my religious beliefs wrong, and mischaracterized. Perhaps I would even use it as an opportunity to offer the truth about my religious beliefs to my friends and neighbors if they spoke about that show in front of me.

No where can I see how it is "disrespectful". It's almost like you want us to say "all religions are on shaky ground and very susceptible to scrutiny, so we should just all agree to not say anything bad about each other's religious beliefs so as to not make anyone question their own beliefs."
7nine
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Im not going to let people that really don't know much at all about my religion disrespect it without a response.

You are also assuming how much people know about it because that fits your narrative. Lots of people know a lot about Mormonism and make an informed decision that it is bunk.
bigjag19
AG
Trey and Matt know a lot about the LDS. They also consulted with member and former members.
bigjag19
AG
Side note-

Has anyone seen a heavy discount for the show during the Super Bowl? I saw We Will Rock You last year for half price.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Maybe they will do a movie on the bonfire collapse next.

jetch17
AG
Someone's got thier magic undies in a wad.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.