Houston
Sponsored by

What is the oldest bar in Houston, now?

8,813 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by killbutchereat
Tom Hagen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2015/01/leons-closes-after-owner-opts-not-to-renew-lease/#29891101=0

It's hard to believe that we have nothing older than 60 years.
jetch17
AG
i thought la carafe was the oldest?
BarryProfit
quote:

As did I.
Furlock Bones
AG
Warren's has the oldest patrons.
grizzo
AG
quote:
quote:

As did I.

me too
Post removed:
by user
Panama Red
AG
La carafe opened in 1950s

ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

As did I.

When I saw the headline I thought the same thing.
Yeah.
The Blue Goose
AG

So it's apparently been established that Leon's did a really ****ty job of marketing the fact that they were Houston's oldest bar.

I also thought Carafe was oldest
Stan Crowch
AG
La Carafe resides in the second oldest building in continual use. I believe.
agz win
AG
Current Warren's is not in original location.
Diggity
AG
looks like they both opened in the 1950's, but Leon's was a few years earlier.

La Carafe gets confused as the oldest bar because it's in one of Houston's oldest buildings.
The Milkman
AG
But what about La Cafafe?
Fall92
AG
Kay's opened in 1939.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Serotonin
AG
West Alabama Ice House, 1928.
http://houston.culturemap.com/guide/bars/west-alabama-ice-house/
Diggity
AG
They aren't talking about beer joints.
Serotonin
AG
Hey man, it's listed as a dive bar on it's facebook page and on yelp, and has been featured as one of the best dive bars on the Chronicle, Houston Eater, the Sun Times.

Southern Living has it and Anvil listed amongst the South's best bars.

But if you don't consider it a bar then Kay's would be the oldest bar. And WAIH would be the oldest place where they have a counter across which alcoholic drinks or refreshments are served.
Diggity
AG
it has nothing to do with being a dive. Kay's didn't start serving liquor until a few years ago and WAIH doesn't at all.

The reason why "full bars" didn't really exist until the 50's era is because Texas had very strict laws about establishments serving liquor until that point.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Get the f outta here with your historical and logic filled argument.
DrZ
AG
Original Warrens was far better than the one now. Always been a little sketchy but had a personality. Good food back in the day
Diggity
AG
Where was it?
dreyOO
bummer
ChipFTAC01
AG
Directly across from where it is now. In the lot that currently has a new high rise being built on it.

http://swamplot.com/the-real-estate-secrets-buried-around-market-square/2014-09-19/
agz win
AG
Yes, the original Warren's was in the surface lot (now with new tower being constructed) across from the Market Square dog park. it was in Houston's original opera house and had a balcony, red velvet curtains and two story high hanging gilded mirrors. It was lovely and a low key hang out.
Diggity
AG
When did they close that one?
agz win
AG
If I recall correctly, late 1987 or early 88. They received notice the lease was ending and the building would be coming down and closed not too long before then.

It was a solemn time those last few visits, and frustrating with the feeble attempts to rescue some of Houston's history.

I think the building on the corner next to La Carafe was torn down over night around the time, too. It used to have pool tables but I don't recall the name.
ChipFTAC01
AG
'88

http://www.downtownhouston.org/news/article/back-future/

quote:
But the demolition that causes the most pain today is probably that of Warren's Inn (316 Milam) in 1988. Warren was Warren Trousdale, whose first downtown bar was called Ali Baba (823 Congress). According to his sister, Carolyn Wenglar, who now owns and manages both La Carafe and the current Warren's Inn, Trousdale managed to buy the Bethje-Lang building (where Warren's was located), after the Ali Baba building was demolished.

As the owner, Trousdale was probably feeling safe operating the old building he loved so much. But as early as 1982, the Chronicle reported that a development company that wanted to build an office building and parking garage was attempting to buy the property. Trousdale is quoted as saying, "I told them they'd have to build over me because I won't sell. We need some old buildings left, something for future generations to see besides steel and glass something old and dear, like these buildings."

With its large statues representing the four seasons (left over from the previous occupant, Les Quatre Saisons) and its beautifully aged atmosphere, Warren's Inn was a building that many Houstonians held close to their hearts.

That's why the news that Trousdale had finally sold the property to Guardian Savings came as an unwelcome surprise. Why had he sold? Those closest to him said that he had been the subject of a campaign of harassment.

"Somebody we don't know who was putting t-shirts in his toilets (to clog them). They even put cement in his sewer," says his sister. She's kept the current Warren's Inn alive "in a little bit of tribute" to her brother, who was "quite a guy."

Ultimately deprived of a sewer connection, Trousdale sold the property and moved across Market Square. He died in 1988, not long after Guardian Savings demolished the building without taking out the proper permits.
BBRex
AG
That's a damn shame.
agz win
AG
Some nuggets in here from a quick Google search...

Dan and the Urban Animals. Rudyards on Kipling.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/10189-oldest-bar-in-houston/
Diggity
AG
Rudyard's has changed locations...so it's a no go.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
it has nothing to do with being a dive. Kay's didn't start serving liquor until a few years ago and WAIH doesn't at all.

The reason why "full bars" didn't really exist until the 50's era is because Texas had very strict laws about establishments serving liquor until that point.
Didn't you have to be a card carrying "member" of a bar to drink in said bar back in the day? I seem to recall my dad explaining the whole concept to me before.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Probably in a dry area at the time. Basically you join a "club" and they're allowed to serve you drinks. Down House does it that way because they're in a dry area of the Heights. I grew up in a dry town and the Mexican food place was like that for margaritas. Until recently there were places like that all over in Dallas as there are large swaths of the city that used to be dry.

It's basically just a wink and a smile to get around stupid blue laws.
malenurse
AG
quote:
Until recently there were places like that all over in Dallas as there are large swaths of the city that used to be dry.
Actually, there are numerous, smaller cities surrounded by Dallas with their own laws. Some were dry until recently, like Addison.
T Durden
AG
Hmm I wonder if these guys are related to Zach Trousdale...current Houston bar/club owner.
byfLuger41
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.