Houston
Sponsored by

Height's Asian Cafe

3,928 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by teecoy
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gramatically incorrect apostrophe aside, this place is solid. Food was fantastic, and not too highly priced. We spent $40 including gratuity. One of the highlights was that this is an Asian restaurant with soft drinks in a cup, not a 12 oz can. Service was attentive and very friendly.
schmendeler
AG
Vitally important question: do the eggrolls have the awesome bubbly skin wrapper, or do they have the weak smooth wrapper?
04aggiegirl
AG
These guys were closed on Christmas Day (or at least that night). Hubs was not happy.
RK
AG
I had to check and make sure this post wasn't from 2012.

That was my go-to order when I lived in GO.
BigAg_12
AG
I rotate between here and Thai Spice on 19th to get my Asian fix. Good spots.
drumboy
AG
I like it but I always go to Hughies since it's close and had good beer.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Vitally important question: do the eggrolls have the awesome bubbly skin wrapper, or do they have the weak smooth wrapper?
I did not partake of the eggrolls.
schmendeler
AG
Then you have failed. May God have mercy on your soul.
RK
AG
Their egg rolls are boss.
Satellite of Love
I live literally 1000 feet away from there. Its the tits.
HvilleAggie
AG
Place is really good, especially for the price, and they're usually pretty quick and always friendly
sangredevino
House special fried rice is solid. They use fresh medium sized shrimp.
DiskoTroop
Been wondering about that place. Will try it the next time the rib and I want chinese and we're at her house.

Incidentally... Anyone looking for a garage apartment in the Heights? @ ~ N. Main & 25th
CowtownAg06
AG
We've done Sesame Chicken, Soups, dumplings, and a few others from there... nevery really loved it. What is the go to for you guys that love it?
Ag_07
AG
The Pad Thai is legit
MichaelJ
AG
Phideaux

whats the price...sq foot...and any pics?
HvilleAggie
AG
quote:
Phideaux

whats the price...sq foot...and any pics?
interested in this info as well
nomadic_ag
AG
I too, am interested in that garage apt.
DiskoTroop
See new thread entitled Heights Apartment
DiskoTroop
Just posted this review to Yelp...

This place kinda pissed me off... This place is near my fiancee's apartment. We've been meaning to try it as I'd heard great things about their food and their business. I had a different experience.

First and foremost, this place nickel and dimes their customers to no end. I swear, I think they charged me for the ice in my glass of water.

Second, they half filled the large containers of soup we took to go. Plus they charged us $3 for fried wantons to go with the egg drop soup. (See nickel and diming comment above.) Nearly every other place I've ever been gave these to you free when you sat down at the table and LITERALLY every place I've ever been serves them free when you order soup. This really surprised me.

Thirdly, we ordered the cashew chicken. The portion size was fine, and the food was tasty, though not outstanding. The problem I had is I typically like Fried Rice with my entree. It's not totally necessary, but when I can upgrade, I do. I'm ok with paying a nominal fee for this.

At Heights Asian Cafe, upgrading to fried rice with an entree is not possible. You get the white rice that comes with it and then you have to order a separate, whole order of fried rice, which is $6. Now I'm not a poor man, I don't have a problem paying $6 for a full order of fried rice. But I didn't need a full order of fried rice. It was a large to-go container full of rice. I didn't need that much for dinner for two.

So, at the end of the day, we ordered a large egg drop soup, an order of fried wantons, a cashew chicken w/ white rice and a house special fried rice. It was $32.

I have a list of 10-12 Asian cafes near us, out near work, near my apartment that I could have gotten all of this for a shade over $10. It was expensive and their menu options were less an flexible. We won't be going back. Again, the food was fine, but I just don't think it's a good value and I don't like the way they run their business
MichaelJ
AG
I ordered delivery from this place...

the food was good...but they didnt have Prices listed on their website, at the time (they have since changed that). But this place was not cheap...for sure...

for same quality...i usually get delivery now from Happy All Cafe
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I ordered delivery from this place...

the food was good...but they didnt have Prices listed on their website, at the time (they have since changed that). But this place was not cheap...for sure...

for same quality...i usually get delivery now from Happy All Cafe
I heard Happy All sucks.
MichaelJ
AG
i think its on par with Heights asian, but is cheaper...
thenational
AG
Happy All has really good Peking Duck..
JJxvi
AG
Happy All is OK. Closer to where I used to live. This is the place that was Long John Silver's a long time ago?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Yes.
teecoy
AG
Phideaux literally hit the nail on the head. I have had nearly identical experiences there. That fried rice...smh. Havent been back in a long time either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.