Houston
Sponsored by

unleaded $1.99

6,400 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by third coast..
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Valero corner store at Huffsmith-Kohrville and Boudreaux for my fellow losers in Tomball and burbs.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Dayum
Undefined
AG
I think Costco is in the $2.04 - $2.10 range for members.
jetch17
hurricanejake02
AG
A couple stations around 518/Dixie Farm touting $1.97 as their cash only price.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Did 2.19 the other day at Murphy's on 6 and was thrilled
RK
AG
I need a bigger truck.
kelkel25
quote:
Valero corner store at Huffsmith-Kohrville and Boudreaux for my fellow losers in Tomball and burbs.
Right out the back of Glennloch ftw
03_Aggie
quote:
A couple stations around 518/Dixie Farm touting $1.97 as their cash only price.

Saw that this weekend at the Exxon one in the Home Depot parking lot. Gladly paid more at Walmart to pull right up to a pump.
Jack Cheese
AG
How much for regular leaded?
Out in Left Field
AG
Hey yall we should buy a tanker truck full and wait till the price goes back up. Profit!

Who's with me?
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Hey yall we should buy a tanker truck full and wait till the price goes back up. Profit!

Who's with me?
7nine
Post removed:
by user
JYDog90
AG
I was thinking of asking this question yesterday, and it's an uninformed one, so please forgive me. Why are gas prices so low and why is oil so low? Is this an attempt by the federal govt to put it to the oil cos and stop shale production and take the urgency off of the XL?
BarryProfit
quote:
I was thinking of asking this question yesterday, and it's an uninformed one, so please forgive me. Why are gas prices so low and why is oil so low? Is this an attempt by the federal govt to put it to the oil cos and stop shale production and take the urgency off of the XL?

Lol.
04aggiegirl
AG
^no words.
OCEN99
AG
quote:
I was thinking of asking this question yesterday, and it's an uninformed one, so please forgive me. Why are gas prices so low and why is oil so low? Is this an attempt by the federal govt Saudis to put it to the oil cos and stop shale production and take the urgency off of the XL?
FTFY
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
I was thinking of asking this question yesterday, and it's an uninformed one, so please forgive me. Why are gas prices so low and why is oil so low?

Should've stopped here.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Should've stopped here.

Yes. Far better to stay uninformed than actually admit to it and try to get informed.
7nine
RK
AG
quote:
don't leave out the fact that oil companies generally have good health care plans. so, the more people the gov't can oust from those companies, the more people they can get in their health care plan. #classicobama
JYDog90
AG
sorry guys. didn't mean to ruin your highbrow discussion on the price of gas at Huffsmith Kohrville.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
sorry guys. didn't mean to ruin your highbrow discussion on the price of gas at Huffsmith Kohrville.
this is really a case of supply and demand unlike some of the other oil busts in the past. demand is off globally.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
quote:
Should've stopped here.

Yes. Far better to stay uninformed than actually admit to it and try to get informed.
Asking a question isn't trying to get informed? As I said, he should've just stopped his post with his question. But he went on to say something crazy.
JYDog90
AG
I understand that OPEC is putting it to us and they are maybe even below their budget but to what end? What are they seeking to accomplish? Are they trying to get us to stop exploration altogether? Furthermore, is this good for Obama? Helps put some cash in some folks pockets, takes some pressure off of coal and gas and the whole fracking issue and XL. It seems as though this plays in the libs' favor.

That's all I was asking.
88jrt06
AG
Willie-

Sorry somebody calls you names for nothing.

As mentioned, this is largely a supply and demand issue. Japan's in recession, it's looking bleak in China and worries in Europe. US is adding supply and stabilizing/cutting its consumption. OPEC chooses to largely stay the course....produce. Then, there's the Russian state idiots....

Supply ^

Demand v

(It's never, of course, entirely that simple, but I believe that's the overarching reality.)
JYDog90
AG
Thanks!
hurricanejake02
AG
From my understanding, OPEC, but especially the Saudis, are refusing to cut production to keep prices higher; as they refuse to give up market share to non-OPEC nations (US, Russia, Venezuela, etc..).

Saudis price to produce is lower than the price to produce elsewhere, including here, so the drop in price doesn't hit them as hard as other places. Therefore, they oversupply the market place, drive the price down, and increase their own market share when they force others to cut production.
Texaggie7nine
Forbes had an article a month or so ago speculating that the Saudis could be doing it to hurt Iran, or to hurt Islamic extremists orgs that threaten business.
7nine
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
From my understanding, OPEC, but especially the Saudis, are refusing to cut production to keep prices higher; as they refuse to give up market share to non-OPEC nations (US, Russia, Venezuela, etc..).

Saudis price to produce is lower than the price to produce elsewhere, including here, so the drop in price doesn't hit them as hard as other places. Therefore, they oversupply the market place, drive the price down, and increase their own market share when they force others to cut production.
true cost of production is certainly far lower. real cost in terms of funding their budget is higher than people think. but, the reality is the Saudis have a longer term view than we do. our country is subject to chasing Wall Street every qtr. the Saudis are looking at time horizons in decades.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
quote:

true cost of production is certainly far lower. real cost in terms of funding their budget is higher than people think. but, the reality is the Saudis have a longer term view than we do. our country is subject to chasing Wall Street every qtr. the Saudis are looking at time horizons in decades.
Cannot be overstated.
The Wonderer
AG
The Saudis, essentially speaking for all of OPEC, have refused to cut production in an attempt to maintain their market share and also cripple the Russians (which seems to be working as inflation nearing hyper levels is starting to take hold and the value of the Ruble is falling at a fast rate than oil with interest rates hitting 17% this week). Other members of OPEC cannot maintain these levels because their cost of productions and, in the case of nationalized oil countries, their entire budgets are base on $90-$150/bbl oil prices. From the recent chart that I saw (and can't find for the life of me), Kuwait is the cheapest OPEC producer, budgeting at around $70/bbl.

The US is seeing even greater reduction in price at the pumps because our production has skyrocketed and we are not allowed to export domestically drilled crude to the global market. We are starting to see larger numbers of shuttered wells and rigs as oil has fallen closer to $50/bbl. The expectation that it could fall below $40 is not a baseless one in my opinion.

Toss on top of all of this that the US dollar is the strongest that it has been in nearly 3 years, with a 7.7% increase in strength since the summer alone. With the world economies declining and/or becoming unstable due to financial or political unrest, America's increasing economy, oil prices falling, and more and more dramatic terrorist stories hitting the news wire daily, the global financial picture is about as clear as mud and very unpredictable.

Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
The Saudis, essentially speaking for all of OPEC, have refused to cut production in an attempt to maintain their market share and also cripple the Russians (which seems to be working as inflation nearing hyper levels is starting to take hold and the value of the Ruble is falling at a fast rate than oil with interest rates hitting 17% this week). Other members of OPEC cannot maintain these levels because their cost of productions and, in the case of nationalized oil countries, their entire budgets are base on $90-$150/bbl oil prices. From the recent chart that I saw (and can't find for the life of me), Kuwait is the cheapest OPEC producer, budgeting at around $70/bbl.

The US is seeing even greater reduction in price at the pumps because our production has skyrocketed and we are not allowed to export domestically drilled crude to the global market. We are starting to see larger numbers of shuttered wells and rigs as oil has fallen closer to $50/bbl. The expectation that it could fall below $40 is not a baseless one in my opinion.

Toss on top of all of this that the US dollar is the strongest that it has been in nearly 3 years, with a 7.7% increase in strength since the summer alone. With the world economies declining and/or becoming unstable due to financial or political unrest, America's increasing economy, oil prices falling, and more and more dramatic terrorist stories hitting the news wire daily, the global financial picture is about as clear as mud and very unpredictable.

the first part is not really true. the saudis weren't speaking for OPEC. OPEC couldn't agree on who would actually cut production so the saudis said **** it in a manner of speaking.

the second highlighted portion is also only slightly true. i am all for exporting crude oil. but, if that were the main price driver, then Brent would be trading much higher relative to domestic prices.
The Wonderer
AG
Article I saw kept referencing the Saudi rep., from it I took he was speaking from OPEC.

I think exporting oil at this point is useless as the market is already flooded. We should have learn from the exporting of NG debacle but missed the massive boat on that one and will enter the market after other countries have cornered it.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Article I saw kept referencing the Saudi rep., from it I took he was speaking from OPEC.

I think exporting oil at this point is useless as the market is already flooded. We should have learn from the exporting of NG debacle but missed the massive boat on that one and will enter the market after other countries have cornered it.
yes, Saudi spoke for them. but, the realities of what happened at that meeting were a bit different.

i am not really trying to run down what you said. i've just read a ton of "assertions" by people especially ones that are not in the business to what is happening and why. i kind of bang head against the table.

many, many people do not understand what globally traded commodities really means.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
From the recent chart that I saw (and can't find for the life of me), Kuwait is the cheapest OPEC producer, budgeting at around $70/bbl.

(crude at $56 now)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.