Houston
Sponsored by

Comcast Email?

3 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by sts7049
Wrec86 Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
At Comcast, we're constantly improving our Internet network. For you, that means access to faster in-home WiFi speeds, more bandwidth and more coverage for your whole home.
With all of these technology advancements, devices need to be updraded in order to fully maximize our service offerings.

Our records indicate that your cabel modem needs to be upgraded in order to ensure you're getting the most out of your XFINITY Internet service
Got this email from Comcast. Is this a case of them forcing me to buy a new modem? or is this an optional thing?
EconAg10
AG
Is comcast the group that wants to add free public hotpots using customers routers?
heisatouchdown
AG
Did they really have that many typos in their email?

You don't *need* to upgrade your modem, but it will eventually crap out. I bought one recently and I haven't noticed too much of a change from my old one. Just look on their 'acceptable list' and wait for a sale.
Undefined
AG
They're probably wanting you to move from your old DOCSIS 2.0 modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 one. DOCSIS 3.0 is capable of higher throughput than 2.0 which is capped just below 50 Mbps. Did you buy your own modem or are you renting one from them?

One thing to note, Comcast doubled internet speeds in Houston for people with bundles so if you previously had 25 Mbps, you'd could now have 50 Mbps which isn't supported by your old modem. Food for thought.
cajunaggie08
AG
If anything this is a salesperson way of saying you may need to upgrade your modem just to ensure you get the high speeds they are advertising and so that you don't go around town claiming comcasts internet is slow as crap because that is basically their one redeeming factor
AgDaddy08-11
S
If your renting the modem from them you might want to buy your own and save that rental fee each month. You should get a DOCSIS 3.0 one for sure to take advantage of the faster speeds. I also saw an article recently (in the Chronicle I think) were Comcast being hit with a Class Action lawsuit about their use of customers modems to create these public wifi hotspots. Haven't had a CC modem in a long time, no regrets.
Wrec86 Ag
Sorry about the typos, I was manually copying it over from my phone and didn't proofread.

I have my own modem, I need to check on it and see how good it is. I haven't really paid attention to be honest. Have had no problems.
lb sand
AG
I have the comcast triple play, internet, tv and phone. I had to get a new modem a few weeks ago.

According to speedtest.net, i was getting around 8 to 12 mbps with the old modem. With the new modem, i get anywhere from 65 to 110 mbps, upload speeds around 25 mbps.

#coolstorybrah
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
If you aren't having problems then I wouldn't **** with it.
Texaggie7nine
I got an email awhile back that had a link to apply for the free upgrade. They shipped it out to me and I installed it myself and mailed back the old one in the box provided.

Easy Peasy.
7nine
Dr. Venkman
AG
DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem for $20
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
I got an email awhile back that had a link to apply for the free upgrade. They shipped it out to me and I installed it myself and mailed back the old one in the box provided.

Easy Peasy.
You are paying $8 a month for something that could be replaced by the item in the post after yours (assuming you have your own router)
sts7049
AG
buy your own. saves the rental, and you no longer get the pleasure of being a hot-spot
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.