Houston
Sponsored by

Fort Bend Toll Road Authority

3,360 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by mm98
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone has any positive experience with these folks?

I've been attempting to pay a toll violation for some time now and it's like they didn't want my money until they could upcharge me an extra $200.

First, yes. I don't travel in Houston often and I had to use a toll road and I do not have an EZ Tag I expected to have to pay.

Second, I received a violation notice in the mail some weeks later advising I owed $74.90 in toll and fees. Okay, fair enough. I'll pay it and be done. I attempt to pay online and it won't let me select the violation to pay. I try again a few times over the next few days and nothing so I decide to call and pay. I'm looking at my statement online e which shows $74.90. The operator advised I owed a total of $270 since the violation had gone to collection. I tried to explain that I was literally looking online while talking to her and it said $74.90. She gave me the spill about signing up for an EZ Tag so I could get a reduced fine. I explained that I never use toll roads or travel in Houston. I was given the runaround so I gave up.

Third, I give in and sign up for am EZ Tag online. Finish the registration, pay, get my account number. Great. I send an email to the agency I was advised to by the operator. Get an email back that says it doesn't exist. I check my bank account and have clearly been charged by EZ Tag. I sign on to my EZ Tag, I have a balance, but mysteriously I have no vehicles associated with my account.

Am I going to have to travel to Houston to now register a vehicle? I'm a little fed up with all the runaround I've been given. Also, the initial notice never gave a timeline or due date. I attempted to pay about a week after receiving the notice.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any ideas on what to do? I'm fine with paying the original fee. But $270? No way, that's ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant. I've been researching online but I'm running out of options besides paying in full or going entirely out of my way to somehow get an EZ Tag in Houston.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Aggiemike96
AG
tl; dr
Broncos
I agree, Mike. I agree.
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
Toll road 99? Same crap happened to me. I tried to pay the $74.90 online multiple times but it wouldn't work. I got a collection notice Saturday saying I now owe $270.90. They can stick I'm not paying that at all.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
This is the big opportunity that every country bumpkin covets. You get a chance to develop your own houston sucks and i hope i never go back story. Make sure you remember all the details so you can regale all the other bumpkins at the coffee shop and any visitor from the big evil city any time somebody is within earshot.
cajunaggie08
AG
Still don't get why can't westpark can't be converted to a camera bill/pay vs a send you a $75 ticket method. Just another lazy money grubbing government authority
Broncos
Tom, that's the one. Good luck!

MBL, a few things... I'm not a country bumpkin and I like Houston. I'm just not thrilled with the terrible experience I've had with the Fort Bend Toll Road Authority.
Jack Klompus
AG
Here's a thought: Don't drive on toll roads without an EZ Tag, TX Tag or NTTA Tag.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Here's a thought: Don't drive on toll roads without an EZ Tag, TX Tag or NTTA Tag.
This.

Also, tell them that you've attempted payment multiple times and that you will pay the amount that you initially tried to pay and they refused. In times like this where online payment won't work, send them a check with the invoice via certified mail. The extra $4-5 for the mail can save you hundreds when they attempt to screw you around.

As for the collections notice and not wanting to pay, just be sure you handle it timely in whatever manner you see fit to resolve the situation. Most debt collectors will hard collect and ding your credit in order to "force" you to pay. Realize that once you credit is dinged, they very rarely pull the report off your report even if they tell you they will.
RoadGunner
quote:
This is the big opportunity that every country bumpkin covets. You get a chance to develop your own houston sucks and i hope i never go back story. Make sure you remember all the details so you can regale all the other bumpkins at the coffee shop and any visitor from the big evil city any time somebody is within earshot.

This isn't limited to country bumpkins. I live in houston and have plenty of houston sucks stories
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Still don't get why can't westpark can't be converted to a camera bill/pay vs a send you a $75 ticket method. Just another lazy money grubbing government authority
It's insane that HCTRA and FBCTRA haven't done this. Dallas did like 8 years ago with all of their tollboths.
CrossBowAg99
AG
I have been on a 2 week ban so I wasn't able to respond to this when it was posted.

I talked to the guys that manage the Fort Bend Toll road and they are very interested in hearing what happened and I suspect that they will be able to help you out.

They asked that you call them.

Email me at user name at gmail and I'll give you their number.
mm98
AG
They're worse than the DPS or DMV.

I loathe them. Very similar experiences.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.