Houston
Sponsored by

Alarm Monitoring

4,434 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by civilized05
rononeill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
finally burned off my contract term from my installer - has anyone switched to a new monitoring service? any recommendations?
pnut02
AG
Smith Thompson

shameless plug: if you use me as a referral, I get one month free
Jdrexgman
AG
quote:
Smith Thompson
+2
aTm2004
AG
ST here as well.
Dr. Horrible
ST+4
AgMarauder04
AG
ST + 5
rononeill
ill just tell them pnut sent me... email me your contact info?
pnut02
AG
done. thanks.
rjamizon
Anybody want to email me your info so I can also use you as a referral? We are switching from ADT, install is happening this Saturday.
KW02
AG
Smith Thomson - +6
john2002ag
+7
rjamizon
Got the referral. Thanks
MAROON
AG
timely info here - need to do this to get a sizable deduction on my home insurance.
KW02
AG
quote:
timely info here - need to do this to get a sizable deduction on my home insurance.
Let me know if you want to put me down as a referral. Email me at beerchamps at ymail.com
Texan76
ST is the no brainer.
AlaskanAg08
AG
I'm so glad I found this thread. Just built a new house and the company that installed the alarm system is chocked full of idiots.

pnut, what info do I need from you in order to get you the credit for the referral?
aTm2004
AG
Use me as a referral. Spread the wealth, man!!
pnut02
AG
quote:
pnut, what info do I need from you in order to get you the credit for the referral?
Name & address is all you need. I'll let you decide who to use as a referral. Email in profile.
aTm2004
AG
PM me for the info if you'd like.
pilot
AG
ST.
cohibasymas
AG
Smith Thompson customers for 3 years now; couldn't be happier.
AGHouston11
AG
Smith Thompson for years but not happy with their response time. Sometimes it's been 10 min before they call other times they have not called. Test your system often and you'll see.
Also no monitoring for fire or carbon monoxide.
MAS444
AG
I had Comcast/Xfinity's alarm for several years...and have ST now. Comcast was more expensive....but their mobile app/monitoring was superior in my opinion. I haven't noticed any difference in response times. I just liked the Comcast product much better.
tamuags08
AG
quote:
Sometimes it's been 10 min before they call other times they have not called.
Odd. They have always called me within 1 minute of my alarm going off.
civilized05
AG
Called ST today to get some info and seems like the initial setup fees are a little pricey. Anybody switched from Vivint to ST? I get the new wireless box for $89, but they're saying that my stuff now (Vivint) will not work with ST and they'll have to do a new install for $199 (normally $299). Does this sound about right? In the grand scheme of things the additional cost is minimal compared to the savings, but I'd rather not spend the $200+ if I don't have to.
rjamizon
The initial setup is more expensive, but ST is $17 a month compared to like $43 for ADT or others, so you save in the long run (I think that monthly difference is like $300 over a year) and you have no contract with ST, whereas you've got a 2 year contract with ADT.

If you want to keep the referal chain going I can email you my name and address.
civilized05
AG
No doubt on the cost savings, but just wanted to make sure I didn't get hosed on the front end with fees I didn't need to pay.

I'd be more than happy to use your info for a referral. Email is in my profile.
rjamizon
email sent. Thanks
Diggity
AG
quote:
Anybody switched from Vivint to ST?
I don't have Smith Thompson but I did have a Vivint system in the house I moved into.

I ended up taking over the system and now have it "self-monitored" through an alarm.com dealer.

What's nice is that I can add new sensors and Z-Wave devices myself to control all the automation stuff from my computer and phone.

I pay $15/month I think but if I wanted 3rd party alarm coverage as well, I think it adds $10.

The advantage of this for you is that you could use your current equipment. If you're into home automation at all, you can do some cool stuff with the Vivint setup.

You can read more about it online. This is a link for the company I use. The forums are pretty helpful as well:

www.suretydiy.com
civilized05
AG
Email received.

Diggity, I'll definitely look into this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.