Houston
Sponsored by

What time is the bitcoin meeting tomorrow?

1,215 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Ag_07
lancevance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Inquisitive minds would like to inquire.
terradactylexpress
Would they?
terradactylexpress
Would they?
GiggityAg01
AG
Half past a freckle.
The Milkman
AG
That freckle can be worth anything between $0.04 and $3,500 though.
94chem
My gosh, I read about 10 pages on bitcoin, and at the end, I still couldn't figure out what it was or how it worked. Seems about as useful as a degree in Klingon and Elfen Languages.
FtBendTxAg
AG
It's a nerd thing. They think they have themselves a revolution.
Jaydoug
AG
I think you have to mine Bitcoin using a digdug game
Diggity
AG
whatever happened to Bitcoin Bob?
MemorialTXAg
According to wheelscam Bitcoin was supposed to have been at $2k right now. Instead that garbage keeps hitting YTD lows almost on a daily basis.
SQXVI
AG
If you liked it at $1,000 you'll love it at 295!
Jack Cheese
AG
quote:
I think you have to mine Bitcoin using a digdug game
wheelskjm
AG
According to an article written by someone else that wheelscam posted for discussion, the price would be $2k.
FIFY.

It's okay though I don't expect many texaggers to read entire posts/articles before making up their own story.
wheelskjm
AG
And the meetups are always on Wednesday at ~7. Just google "Houston bitcoin meetup. "
Jack Cheese
AG
Can you confirm that digdug is the proper mining mechanism? Is that what y'all do at the meetings?
wheelskjm
AG
digdug is definitely not the mining system.

most people don't understand why the federal reserve sets market rates or decides whether to inflate or deflate the dollar, or how credit cards work and that all of their non-cash money held in banks is already mostly digital... but that's none of my business.

94chem
I don't understand the chemistry of asphalt either, but that doesn't mean we should start paving the roads with buckwheat pancakes.
Sean_Jones
Bitcoin is the new internet, right Wheels my good man? Don't let the haters bother you.
wheelskjm
AG
You don't need to know the chemistry of asphalt to feel safe driving on it and using it everyday. You don't need to know where your cash came from, or how's it's made or destroyed to feel comfortable using it. You don't need to know the intricacies of mining to use Bitcoin. Buckwheat pancakes comment was dumb, and you should feel bad.

IBM is of the mind that bitcoin as the solution for the "Internet of things" and they'll have their proof of concept in January.

PayPal just integrated Bitcoin to their payment solutions the features companies like Coinbase are developing are fantastic... The direction bitcoin is going towards has nothing to do with its price.

agchugger
AG
94chem
quote:
IBM is of the mind

What does Polaroid think?
94chem
https://bitcoin.org/en/how-it-works

Well, that clears things up. Block chains, mining, distributed consensus systems. Granted, I only have one PhD, so maybe I'm a little slow. I'm envisioning a group Ubuntu users who had an epiphany on their way to their drum circle.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
https://bitcoin.org/en/how-it-works

Well, that clears things up. Block chains, mining, distributed consensus systems. Granted, I only have one PhD, so maybe I'm a little slow. I'm envisioning a group Ubuntu users who had an epiphany on their way to their drum circle.
Thank God, I've got a freaking BBA and I am utterly freaking lost on what "bitcoin mining" actually is. Glad to hear there are some actual brains who don't know what the hell it is anyway.
wheelskjm
AG
Like I said, unless you want to know how mining works it means nothing to how bitcoin is used. You'll have to read plenty and I'd recommend actually downloading the software and mining on your computer (even if you aren't making anything doing it) as an exercise.

All mining is doing is proving that the public ledger (aka the Blockchain) is correctly listing the location of all bitcoins.

Mining provides many of the same functionalities that banks provide when they verify payment when you swipe your card. They say "yes we agree that your money/bitcoin has moved from account A to account B"

And that's all you'll ever need to know about mining unless you want to find an excuse about how hard bitcoin is to understand.
Ag_07
AG
Alright that's it.

Take it The Nerdery
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.