Houston
Sponsored by

1308/El Tiempo to most-likely close

4,236 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Diggity
let the mystery be
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
"1308 may and probably will be moving next year (first quarter sometime) due to the fact that the land underneath the restaurant is being sold by our landlord for a multi-story apartment project development," said Laurenzo, the son of the legendary Mama Ninfa Laurenzo who built a restaurant empire from a small restaurant she opened in 1973 in a former tortilla factory on Navigation.
http://blog.chron.comfoodchronicles/2014/10/el-tiempo-1308-cantina-may-soon-close/#27970101=0

Too many damn apartment complexes in that area.
Ryan the Temp
AG
This one has been coming down the line for a while. My understanding is the thing that had been holding it up was the sale of the land where Gibb's Boat Shop is located. That land came up for sale a couple of months ago, so the apartments are basically a done deal. At least it's being developed at the intersection of two major thoroughfares.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Always thought that boat shop was a drug front.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
Always thought that boat shop was a drug front.
+1

I live next door to the dude that has/had the tire shop right there. Strange guy. I rarely talk to him.
BarryProfit
Nah Gibbs is pretty highly thought of in the skinny water fishing community.
Texan76
quote:
Nah Gibbs is pretty highly thought of in the skinny water fishing community.
This.
Diggity
AG
quote:
This one has been coming down the line for a while. My understanding is the thing that had been holding it up was the sale of the land where Gibb's Boat Shop is located. That land came up for sale a couple of months ago, so the apartments are basically a done deal. At least it's being developed at the intersection of two major thoroughfares.
What would Gibb's have to do with this land? It looks like there is quite a bit of land in between those two plots. Are you hearing that they're going to buy it all?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
What would Gibb's have to do with this land? It looks like there is quite a bit of land in between those two plots. Are you hearing that they're going to buy it all?
Yes. My understanding is they are planning to consume the entire block.
Diggity
AG
That seems expensive. There's some newish looking townhomes in there.
Diggity
AG
scratch that, they're older single family homes, but that land ain't cheap.

If you just go off of land value and assume they can get about $125 per sqft of dirt, you're looking at $18.5 million for that block!
BillYeoman
The previous establishment there was La Jaliscience. Believe it or not we used to have some actual classes there over beers and Rita's. Mexican history class. The walls were covered with Mexican Revolution pics...not sure if true but was said the original owner rode with Villa. Never went to the El Tiempo version when they bought it out...
chico
AG
Bill, That joint back in the day got me through grad school at UH. I'd stop there to get a cheap food fix quite often. I heard the same stories about Pancho Villa. Thanks for the reminder of something I'd long forgotten.
BillYeoman
quote:
Bill, That joint back in the day got me through grad school at UH. I'd stop there to get a cheap food fix quite often. I heard the same stories about Pancho Villa. Thanks for the reminder of something I'd long forgotten.

It was a great place. Food was average but the ritas were solid....and it had such a different vibe. Cool place. Glad I am not the only one that hit that place...good stuff
BarryProfit
That is a good story. Sorry to hear about the UH part though. T&P.
IvanAg07
AG
So where are they relocating to? The wife and I frequent there often and have heard about this for a long time from the waitstaff.
MAS444
AG
Heard a rumor that Teotihuacan in the Heights is moving out and that property is owned by the El Tiempo people...so maybe there?
RK
AG
really? didn't the El T people open a Mexican place across the street from Teo [for like 2 weeks]? can't remember what it was called...
MAS444
AG
Yeah they did...and I've heard they own(ed) that property too (thought it's been listed for sale recently). So maybe someone's getting their rumors mixed up...

EDIT: According to HCAD...Honorio and Sylvia Galvan own the Teo's property on Airline, and it looks like they're the Teos people. So false rumor.
chico
AG
Teo on Airline is staying put, not moving.
Teo on Irvington is moving a few blocks south, still on Irvington, to a larger property.
Diggity
AG
The 8-Story Apartment Building Kicking El Tiempo 1308 Cantina Off Montrose Blvd. Won't Touch U-Plumb-It or Gibbs Boats

let the mystery be
AG
Diggity/Scott, I am curious if you think all of the huge new apartment developments going into this area will have any effect on values for the town homes near W Dallas?
EconAg10
AG
quote:
Too many damn apartment complexes in that area.
I live in the apartments behind the Thai place, place is great though
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
The 8-Story Apartment Building Kicking El Tiempo 1308 Cantina Off Montrose Blvd. Won't Touch U-Plumb-It or Gibbs Boats

Interesting. That should be somewhat comforting to a few people in the area.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Diggity/Scott, I am curious if you think all of the huge new apartment developments going into this area will have any effect on values for the town homes near W Dallas?
I think that area will continue to be desirable. Being able to walk to Whole Foods, several restaurants and Allen Parkway will always be a good thing.
bigjag19
AG
They got most of the way through building one out near Baybrook and then all work stopped. Been months and months now.
clintaggie04
AG
The one at Baybrook was not being opened by the original people who started El Tiempo, it was a franchised one by a family member or friend. About half way through their financing fell through. It is not going to be finished.

However, the actual El Tiempo people are going to open a restaurant somewhere closer to NASA.
Diggity
AG
quote:
The one at Baybrook was not being opened by the original people who started El Tiempo, it was a franchised one by a family member or friend. About half way through their financing fell through. It is not going to be finished

If true, it sounds like they didn't learn their lesson from the Ninfas downfall.
bigjag19
AG
That location they were using is possibly the most cursed place in history for restaraunts.
CrossBowAg99
AG
I used to enjoy drinking at Pinche's 15 years ago, but it was never busy
Diggity
AG
quote:
The one at Baybrook was not being opened by the original people who started El Tiempo, it was a franchised one by a family member or friend. About half way through their financing fell through. It is not going to be finished.

However, the actual El Tiempo people are going to open a restaurant somewhere closer to NASA.
Update on this store

quote:
The Liquid Gold Hospitality Group that was licensed by El Tiempo to build a Webster location says it is proceeding with plans to open that restaurant despite a lawsuit.

According to Anthony Buzbee, an attorney for Liquid Gold, his clients hold a valid license to open a total of 18 El Tiempo restaurants. "They paid a great deal for the agreement, and will also pay royalties to El Tiempo as the restaurants open," he says.

Aggie legend Tony Buzbee vs. The Laurenzo's. Who will prevail?

bigjag19
AG
Such a headache. If they bounced checks then what claim do they have?
Diggity
AG
Yeah, I like the excuse that they intentionally bounced the checks.

A questions I have is why the Laurenzo's trusted their franchise agreement with these jokers in the first place. Their website shows them having no other experience to speak of. The only other time they have been referenced is for backing out of the Gravitas deal several years ago.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.