Houston
Sponsored by

Nocturnal Lands

1,012 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Original_NoOlives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://nocturnallands.com/houston-texas/

Anyone ever been to this and if so is it legit at all? It looks legit from the pics/website although I'm afraid it may end up being just new, no-name DJ's/artists performing and turn out to be ****ty? I guess what I'm saying is, is this anything at all like Bassnectar or Zedd's performances from FPSF? Also to clarify, I'm mainly interested in going for the music and atmosphere and not so much the 5K, although will probably partake in some of the physical stuff. Anyway, appreciate any feedback if you have it.

PrestigeWorldwide11
AG
that looks horrible
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I like when we keep all those people in one location. Maybe we could fence them in while they are raving, or whatever it is called.
wrinkledink
AG
I think the headliner is this guy
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
$60 for a 5k? Whoever thought this up is a genius because they've figured out a very good way to separate idiots from their cash.
BarryProfit
quote:
It looks legit from the pics/website

Hmmmm
Texaggie7nine
That looks stupid. And the DJ's are nobodies.

If you wanted good EDM like was at FPSF but way more and way better, then you missed your chance because it was last weekend at Something Wicked at SHRP. No other EDM shows in houston match the talent that was there.
7nine
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Talent?
Texaggie7nine
Yes, talent.

The DJ's at that level are producers and play mostly their own stuff. Meaning they make most of the songs they play and it takes a lot of talent to produce at that level.
7nine
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Hey, everyone, come listen to how awesome I can order the records I play! Now do drugs and eat glow sticks and give me money.
Texaggie7nine
I'm the type of person that would rather go to a concert and see the artist lipsinc than play live if it's not exactly just as good as record quality.

I put production quality and sound far above and beyond seeing the artist perform. I could care less if they are doing it live or not so long as it sounds studio quality perfect. And EDM provides some of the most highest production quality in music you can possibly get.
7nine
Sean_Jones
Weird
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
Hey, everyone, come listen to how awesome I can order the records I play! Now do drugs and eat glow sticks and give me money.
Hilarious

Ask 79 how cool dubstep is
Texaggie7nine
There is very little Dubstep I like. Most of it is crap. It's stupid kids trying to be producers making stupid loud sounds mostly.
7nine
ballchain
GrayMatter
AG
quote:
I'm the type of person that would rather go to a concert and see the artist lipsinc than play live if it's not exactly just as good as record quality.

I put production quality and sound far above and beyond seeing the artist perform. I could care less if they are doing it live or not so long as it sounds studio quality perfect. And EDM provides some of the most highest production quality in music you can possibly get.
I see what you did there!

They released the headliner for this event a few weeks back, but I don't remember who it is. 79 is right though, you don't go to this venue because the music is gonna be kick ass.

Let's not get carried away though 79, EDM might provide you with quality music but to say that its the highest production quality is kind of far fetched. The Houston Symphony, Transiberian Orchestra, LIndsey Stirling or even Pentatonix might have something to say about that.

EDM by the way is the flavor the month in the music industry and personally is a term I dislike. It's some made up name that someone thought up because they wanted to generalize the industry. You as well as I know that DnB is not the same as Dubstep which is not the same as Trance or House. Most everything that is played nowadays is House or Progressive. Producers don't always make good DJ's anyway just because they play their own stuff which may or may not be good. They have a certain sound that when the set is played sounds similar just because of their style. Furthermore, their sets are predetermined and they don't always read the crowd's response. To each their own though, I've gone to my fair share of shows and I have noticed that every performance has its ebbs and flows.

You're better off if you go see Blasterjaxx at Stereo Live although I haven't heard too much of their stuff or definitely Aly and Fila who perform on Friday.
Original_NoOlives
AG
quote:
That looks stupid. And the DJ's are nobodies.

If you wanted good EDM like was at FPSF but way more and way better, then you missed your chance because it was last weekend at Something Wicked at SHRP. No other EDM shows in houston match the talent that was there.

Confirms my suspicion 100%. OK then I'll just proceed to bash the event publicly via social media the next time I see it advertised.

But yes, heard Something Wicked was a success and pissed I forgot about it till Sunday afternoon.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
The Houston Symphony, Transiberian Orchestra, LIndsey Stirling or even Pentatonix might have something to say about that.

That is why I said "Some of the most". The best of the best in EDM is produced with the same high quality and expertise as those.

Several new producers in EDM nowadays are former sound guys/producers for other audio work that really love perfecting production and EDM is one of the places where you can obsess over it.

I also loath the term EDM but because it is the nomenclature known to the masses I uses it so as to not confuse.

quote:
I see what you did there!

I did not intentionally do it but after I typed it I realized it and was quite pleased.
7nine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.